Will Crossbows make other bows obsolete?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by wpage, Nov 21, 2009.

1. wpage

wpage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since I got my crossbow there is no going back...
    What do you think?

2. DEERSLAYER

DEERSLAYER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are definately far more effective for the average guy. By putting them in archery season I think they will gradually take over the woods. I think they will eventually bridge the gap between compound bows and guns to the point that states will start having any weapon seasons in place of seperate bow and gun seasons.

3. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will never go crossbow,

baring injury or some other unforeseeable circumstance,

so...id say no

4. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    as cool a tool as they are, i wouldnt be caught dead with one

5. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  6. Sdeck9

Sdeck9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think they will make other bows obsolete. I hunt with a crossbow but that's because that's what I was introduced to hunting on bc that's what wasn't being used bow wise lol. When I went a bought a bow I contenplated getting a compund but for the price I decided to get a xbow. Next season I plan on getting a compound and using both

7. Urban Hunter

Urban Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    no! unless u need one, u shouldnt use them. most that do dont want to take the time to really learn how to shot a bow.

8. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll never use one regardless If I'm too old, Injury or whatever. I'll then go with a ML.

9. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see me going to a crossbow

10. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With today's bows being ever more efficient, I can't see my ever shooting a crossbow. Hell, with my DL I could shoot 45 lbs and still have plenty to kill big game without problem. They are here to stay, but I will not be using one.

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Since I can't predict the future, I won't say I won't EVER hunt with one (if push came to shove and I couldn't even draw back a very lightweight bow, and it was the only way I was getting in the woods during the fall, you betcha I would). However, like Ben said, as long as I can pull back enough to put down a whitetail, I won't hunt with one.

12. rockinchair

rockinchair Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to hunt with one. They're fun to shoot and cool pieces of equipement, but I don't see myself hunting with one unless I get injured which, God willing, won't happen anytime soon.

13. carpsniper

carpsniper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ??? Why do you say "there is no going back."?

Are you stating you will not go back?

I have seen only a couple of Crossbows in the field and it looks to me like the minuses way outweigh the pluses. If someone needs to use one I would rather see them able to hunt and pursue their passion than have to sit on the sidelines. JMHO.

14. DEERSLAYER

Dislikes Received:
    I believe he is not going back and the reason would be because it is so much easier than a compound or stick bow. No getting caught drawing the bow, no struggling to hold at full draw if you drew to early, can rest it on a climber bar or tree limb, easy to become proficiant, etc.

These are the reasons I don't believe they should be considered equal to the other bows. Compounds have enabled virtually any healthy able bodied person to hunt with enough poundage for quick humane kills. The advatages of cross bows are just not needed unless there are legitame physical reasons. Then by all means allow those people to use them during archery season. JMO

15. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are a couple of crossbow guys that hunt where we hunt. They don't have any better success than the vertical bow hunters.

I think having to hold a cocked crossbow ready when a deer comes by would be a pain. Literally. They are heavy.

I also think the advantages aren't so great. You ever see the scores the crossbow guys have at the 3d shoots? They consistently finish below the top compound guys.

... my doctor told me to go with a crossbow because my shoulder is so bad. I'm not ready to go there... but I will pick up one before I give up hunting. :(

16. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Won't ever make them obsolete... ever see the Traditional forums? We'd all be shooting AR15s if we wanted the top technologies in the woods. Some might make the switch someday, but many others never will...

17. DEERSLAYER

Dislikes Received:
    No where in my post did I say they were more accurate than a verticle bow. However, with the right cross bow and proper set up I have no dout I could easily double my range (others are doing much better than that).

I think as long as you are not damaging your shoulder then sticking with a verticle bow is cool, but if you are doing damage I think it may be a very good idea for you to switch to a cross bow.