will a kisser button help my accuracy?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by palmettoyounggun, Aug 15, 2012.

1. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to bow hunting and have been getting ok groups and was wondering if a kisser button would help my accuracy?

2. scottygrape

scottygrape Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yes because it helps you bring the string to the exact same spot every time so you can see through the peep sight more consistently. You will be a lot more of a consistent shooter

3. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the quick reply i will be going to get one soon.

4. BigRedOak

BigRedOak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. The more points of consistency you have, the better your accuracy will be.

When I have my bow at full draw, my kisser button is touching the right corner of my mouth, the string above the kisser botton is touching the tip of my nose, the gap between my first and second knuckle on my right hand is touching the rim of my ear, and my eye is of course looking through the peep sight. So all I have to do is make sure I am not torquing the bow, make sure I am not flinching when I pull the release, and make sure I have a good follow through. Those are the basics of shooting accurately.

5. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the above, but a kisser button isn't necessarily needed or more accurately, required.

Anything you can do that increases consistency is the key. I use my anchor pt, string touching my nose, peep and site as key consistency checkpoints with my compounds.

But double check your grip (not too tight, where your knuckle are pointed, not torquing) and how you hold the bow itself as the grip can add inconsistencies to your shooting.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  7. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I touch the string to the end of my nose and use a peep site. I have never needed a kisser button to shoot accurately but to each their own.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  8. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started doing this a few years ago and shoot way better than with a kisser. Everyone is different though.

9. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't forget, if you wear a face mask while hunting it will render the kisser button useless.

10. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot for years without a kisser button and had one put on before the season last year. INSANE amount of difference!! I would never go without one again!!!

11. BowMayhem413

BowMayhem413 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think its different for everyone but the kisser helps me get to the same point everytime I draw my bow back

12. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it helps me alot personally, but everyone is different

13. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with this^^^. I used a kisser button a few years ago and did away with it because I wear a mask while hunting. Tried to use it with the mask and it really didnt work

14. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think they do more harm than good. Most are big and there is a lot of room for error with where you place the kisser.

IMO,they are a crutch for an improperly setup bow, peep location,and in some cases,draw length.

If you choose to use one,make sure you don't "need" it for a solid anchor and peep alignment. Put a SMALL kisser on,not one that is huge like most I have seen and install it AFTER the peep and anchors are set.

15. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt without a peep and only a kisser button. I never loose light and am deadly out to 50 yds . Takes more practice but is a great for hunting. Everyone is a bit different but this works for me.

16. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As mentioned, the more reference points, the better. However, I agree with Tfox in that they're a crutch and can do more harm than good. For most people, the casual shooter, they're a helpful tool.

I personally ditched a kisser years ago. Instead, I use serving thread to "tie" a kisser button on that contacts my nose at full draw. Basically I wrap the string with serving thread to build a ball up. Its placed where my nose comfortably contacts the string and the sight housing is centered in the peep. It's fast and very consistent for me.

17. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ive been shooting a bow for 3 months. i refused the kisser because i wanted to learn to bring the string to the corner of my mouth and tip of my nose by feel. took a lil bit, but i can tell when it settles in right now. i looked at it like bumpers on an alley for bowling. a crutch i didnt want to get used to.