Wicked Tree Gear hand saw

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Justin, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    A hand saw is one of those pieces of equipment that many hunters don't think too much about. A lot of hunters only use theirs a couple times a year and then put it away until next summer. However, for those of us that hang a lot of stands, or move frequently throughout the year, its a very important piece of gear. So when the new Wicked Tree Gear hand saw came out, I had to give it a shot.

Having owned numerous other saws over the years - and broken most of them - I was curious to see how this thing would hold up. My first impression after opening the package was that this saw is built to last. You can just feel it when you hold the saw. The alumium construction of the handle gives it a much tougher feel than most plastic-handled saws. Plus, the ergonomic grip makes it comfortable to hold and use.

Aside from the handle feeling good, I wanted to test the blade performance. I've used it for about 3 months now and hung at least a dozen sets if not more, and it's held up great. The blade is thicker than most other saws on the market, so it withstands torquing and "slashing" very well. The tip has yet to get bound up and bent over on me like a lot of saws do. I've hacked down hundreds of raspberry bushes with the "grip and rip" method - no problems. I actually tried to break the blade by bending it over and there's no way I could do it. I'm sure if I stuck it into a tree and jumped on it I could make it snap, but short of that it seems to be able to some pretty rough use.

All in all, I'd give this saw 2 thumbs up. It's sharp, durable and like I said - built to last. I know that hand saws are exactly glamourous pieces of hunting gear, but if you're looking for one that will get the job done and not break on you when you need it the most, check out the Wicked Tree Gear hand saw. It's Justin-tested, Justin-approved. :tu:

Quick video review here - http://www.bowhunting.com/videos/new-products/Wicked-Tree-Gear-Hand-Saw_1151

2. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Once my current hand saw breaks, I'll be buying one of these. Hopefully, by that point, Justin will have come out with one that can be made into and extendable as well.

3. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more with Justin, great saw. Personally I was surprised at how light it was! It's the best saw I've used and worth the few extra dollars, the blade is a little shorter than some I've used but all and all it's been a great investment and you won't be dissapointed!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the review Justin, and comments from you other guys too! I've been using mine everyday from trimming stands to trail cameras, and even making a couple horrizontal rubs with it. It eliminates snippers too because you don't have to be worried about breaking the handle when you're "tearing" through the brush. I've honestly tried (and know a hundred guys who would love to send me a picture of a broken saw) to break mine. We've got nearly 1,000 in the field, and ZERO handles have broken. If you really crank on a giant tree and catch the tip, you can break off the last 1/2" or so; but it really takes a crazy torque to do this. Only a few have broken, and they still are 100% functional. For the most part though, they are beyond tough. Exactly the type of product us bowhunters have needed for a long time! Thanks again for the reviews, keep them coming!

5. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking at these today online. I think I will be ordering one tomorrow. Thanks for the review Justin.

6. ICALL2MUCH

ICALL2MUCH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the saw. It a beast of a tool. It's a amazing tool to have as a man - not just a hunter! ;)

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That's a great point. I've used mine around the house to trim some of my trees/bushes, and even used it to clear a tree out of my road after a big wind storm earlier this year. :tu:

8. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    JZ, I searched the site but can't find the product think I might have to get one ordered up! Can I get it through BH.com?
    Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Ferg - you'll have to get it direct through Wicked. I believe you can order them online - wickedtreegear.com

10. Ky/Jody

Ky/Jody Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use my Gerber saw all the time. I do not go affield with my saw.

11. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You don't go afield with your saw? Please explain - why not?

12. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just ordered one, I can not wait to get it and put it to use.

13. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It will ship today Tom! Thanks very much for the order!

14. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im planning to order one later tonight, for now its off to film my buddy :tu:

15. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are in-stock and shipping brother! Everything has been shipped up until about an hour ago. We ship all orders within 24 hours, and most within 8. I know you guys need these now, so I'm getting them out ASAP!

16. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used one, pretty wicked saws! I am still using my Hooyman saw but the Wicked does seem more durable. If my Hooyman ever breaks I'll likely snag one of these to replace it.

17. stupid_rope

stupid_rope Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a great product. Growing up in the lamdscaping industry, i've found that my $15 pruning saw works like a champ. ssoyry for the typos, im high on percocet right now after knee surgersy

18. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd not recommending you use one of our saws if you are high. You could end up with a missing right index finger - and we've got enough of those around here!

19. stupid_rope

stupid_rope Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    lol thanks for the safety warning!

20. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just got around to ordering a saw :tu: