Why?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by LAEqualizer, Mar 13, 2011.

1. LAEqualizer

LAEqualizer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why do people put so much emphasis on their faith when they are entering a traumatizing experience, losing a loved one, or they themselves are dying?

Seems a lot of folks can easily smirk God away, until no one else can help them. Then they immediately start a prayer meeting of sorts.

Why?

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been very guilty of It myself Bobby. It's something that I've been working on the last few years.

3. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Because we seem naturally prewired to easily shove God away, and make ourselves in charge. When we pray, "Our Father", if we really mean Father, then its no different than a 15 year old thinking he knows better while our paternal father smirks, and says, "got to learn the hard way".

This kinda reminds me of this passage

1 Peter 1:6-7 (New International Version, ©2011)
    6 In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

1 Peter 4:12-13 (New International Version, ©2011)
    12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 13 But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  4. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why.... probably because they're entering a tramatic happening that they had or have no control over. It's all up to a power greater than themselves and they're reaching for hope, guidance or reaching out, out of schooling and training and religious practices. Sometimes they have to realize..... they can't do it, change it or alter the outcome.... they're praying for a continuence of their good life or an end to the bad hand that's been dealt to them at that time. Training and schooling play a big part in all our lives. I learned in 2 years of bullet shooting in Vietnam what training can do. When the **** hits the fan or hits you in the face..... you resort to that which you've been taught and believe will see you through. Damn straight..... if someone tells you you're really sick or going to die.... well you reach out or become a basket case..... and then you die.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  5. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now, that sounds like something coming from one who's been there or close.

6. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes buttttttttttt..... you took me out of context. Quote it completely or don't do it. Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck. Been there.