Why I love my liberal friends

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Skywalker, Feb 4, 2017.

1. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is the problem with what government has turned insurance into. It is supposed to be something you never want to use, but they want us to use it for everything. Do we have our auto insurance pay for oil changes or new tires? NO. Do we have home owners insurance pay for Furnace cleaning, or replacing a water heater? No. Yet we funnel almost every dollar through health insurance. I don't blame insurance companies, they are business and should be able to make money to pay their employees and make some profit. But every dollar we send through them basically increases our medical cost 15-20%. We need to use insurance less, not more.

If me wife and I had been able to put all the money that has gone to insurance companies into an HSA, we would be sitting on an account of $500K today, ready to pay our medical bills as we are not getting older.

2. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure I understand the Private Fund Afflicted is referring to or the HSA remmett70 is talking about. What if you needed big bucks in your early years for healthcare. Not everyone stays healthy until you are old. I've had 3 separate years I've needed over $100K in medical coverage that would have absolutely ruined me financially without insurance. Luckily my employer pays 85% of the premium so I can afford it. It ain't all scare tactics when there comes a time you need it.

3. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ours is still free:)

4. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^ This, once both my parents got passed 65, the hospital visits went up, with my FIL getting bone cancer and then passing, the hospital bills would freak you out. We had a young man 18 just die from a brain tumor, we raised 30,000 for the family, not even close. Until we get cost of health care under control, nothing we do will help.

5. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

This^ It's all about $

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You get Catastrophic coverage which is far cheaper than what we get today.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think we can all agree that healthcare insurance is a necessity. The costs associated with a basic hospital visit would bankrupt most families. I also think we can all agree, the system put in place has not helped and in reality it has hurt many of our friends and family members. Being required to pay crazy high premiums on coverage with a crazy high deductible doesn't help anyone out. Every dollar an employer has to pay out in health care premium is either a dollar they can't spend on hiring new people, expanding their business or paying their employees. This healthcare program has done more to slow down the business growth in this country than anything I can think of. I'm fortunate enough to work for a company that has shielded us from the rise in premiums to the best of their ability, but each year they cover how much our premiums are going up and then they let us know how much more they are covering compared the the previous year. Thank God I work for a great company, but many decisions that are made about expansion and growth are affected by external costs like healthcare.

8. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^spot on.

9. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The money would go in one pool that we would all use. If you got paid out a lot you may never get any back. If you didn't you could get a percentage back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds similar in concept to MediShare.

11. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    The clear understanding from a guy who didn't even get a job till he was 40 and yet he has the brass to tell America about business.

We are also the highest paid country in the world.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    With the highest wage gap and child poverty.

13. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Because we create the highest earners in the world creating your gap thats a bad thing?

Define child poverty in the United States of America.

You can be flat broke and get hand out on a street corner and walk to a supermarket with every possible food item you could ever want available today.

Venezuela doesn't even have toilet paper to wipe their asses.

Different definition of poverty in any country besides USA.

14. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I did not realize being poor is so wonderful in America, my bad. Wage gap is not a good thing, if it gets to large and the masses don't have enough purchasing power. The last time the gap was this big, was right before the Great Depression. Yes making money is great, good for those who do, but it's not good for any economy if too large, or it goes the other way.

15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This country was made for so much more. Brothers helping brothers. Human nature is just awful.....people just jamming each other trying to make money and gaining power. It is disheartening.

16. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    No apology needed. If you go up to the upper Peninsula of Michigan and visit the finish Museum you'll see a photograph of my grandmother with about 12 other kids all in one school house barefoot and dirty clothes. They were not considered poor or in need or want of any help from the government.
    She went through WWI, the Great Depression, WWll, Korean War and the Vietnam War never getting any hand out from the government and after marrying my grandfather started out as an apprentice for Ford Motor Company age 14 after dropping out of school and up living in the one of the best neighborhoods Michigan has to offer.

All because our government provided security and safety in their pursuit of happiness. Not handouts welfare checks or free housing. They looked out for themselves and let everybody else look out for their own selves. Not expecting to government official to care more about them than they do themselves.
    Let everyone live their own lives as they please and as you hear in the news every day people are dying for that opportunity to live in this land of opportunity.

17. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    The flesh is weak.

18. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have actually been there. Strange my wives grandfather who was an orphan lived a similar life, as did my grandfather who dropped out in the 8th grade.

Today can one drop out and get a good paying job? Walk into Ford? The world has changed, we have to do a better job anticipating the change and not reacting to it.

19. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Small world :-) I'm a junior college dropout myself. I think the big concern today is automated teller's and robots. I think we need to stand up in insist we deal with humans not check ourselves at out at stores and talk to computer on the phones.
    With that said I think kids and people need to do a better at being employable.
    Living in Florida you don't see any of these immigrants out of work and protesting about government handouts. Just the American kids.

15 years ago you would see buses and vans loaded down with immigrants going to and from work each day. Now you see them driving new cars and trucks, their wives jogging and going to the gym. And them buying homes in the nicer neighborhoods. All from hard work. My heart goes out to them or anybody willing to put in a hard days work and pull his own weight.
    They believe in Living the American dream more than some Americans.

God blesses us.

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is not the fault of people who do not reproduce before they have completed their education. I do feel bad about children living in poverty but I have done nothing to cause it, and feel zero quilt about that.