Why do hunters post pics like this? Just stop

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Jul 1, 2018.

1. 1bluestreaker

1bluestreaker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    She's posing with the giraffe slung around her neck?
    I love taking pics, especially of deer and I try my best to clean everything up and be respectful but I understand not everyone will look at them and like what they see. I'd love to see what a pic done in good taste looks like, maybe I've been doing it wrong so please post one up so I can see what the difference is.

Sent from my LG-M470 using Tapatalk

2. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first impression was cougar, but upon looking at your post I have to agree that you are correct.

3. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    "Everything is not every one's business," said Rob Zombie.

Wiscohunter likes this.
  4. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I look at that photo of the giraffe and I’m jealous as heck. I had the opportunity to take one, but my bride didn’t want me to. You don’t have to be a “spoiled rich kid” to harvest one. As far as the pose, how else are you going get a photo with an animal that size? On its back? That would piss people off.
    It’s understood that you are donating the meat from your kills to the locals. You can not bring the ribs back for the 4th.
    The antis look at every deer harvest photo and see Bambi. Most non hunters around here see one less Deer to run out in front of their car.
    I try to always be respectful and tasteful when I’m hauling a harvest. I only post pictures on hunting forums. Don’t do any of the trendy social media. Most on my harvests and photos are for me and a few close friends. I don’t need 10k “likes” to affirm me.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That pic looks delicious in every way.

Shocker99 likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    By not posting the pictures because you fear push back from the antis you are letting the antis win, do not let them take away your right to post pictures. Then again I have never been on the Facebook.

w33kender and Swamp Stalker like this.
  7. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tastefully done photo of a young woman and her giraffe that she legally hunted. Her money (Daddy's money ... who cares), just boosted the economy of a village that otherwise would be forced to condone poaching and dirty black market money. Her efforts fed many people who would likely go without. The business that allows her to hunt this animal protects other giraffe and big game through selective hunting.

Looks like win ... win ... win ... to me.

As hunters, if we voluntarily pull down or do not share photos of "unique" kills like this one, then the focus shifts to hunting that effects more of us. Lets say for example that no one ever posts a picture again of a giraffe, lion, or elephant kill ... even though they might still hunt them ... because it is not politically correct to do so. The anti's will simply shift their attention to other trophy photos. What happens then when you post a photo with your black bear or mountain lion? I personally had death threats over a tastefully done video edit that I published of a buddy of mine killing a nice Canada black bear. OK, so then we don't post pictures with our bears or mountain lions. The anti's will move on to photos of elk, moose, and caribou. But that doesn't matter because 90% of the hunters just hunt whitetail deer. Oh but then we stop posting pictures of elk. So then the anti's tear you up personally on social media and even the national news (at they did the young lady with the giraffe just this morning) for that beautiful whitetail buck that you worked your butt off to arrow after patterning him all year. Your proudest hunting moment is thrown all over the news and now you are the bad guy.

It is all fine when it doesn't effect us individually I guess.

Most of us will never be able to afford the opportunity to go kill a "black" giraffe. Heck, maybe most of don't even have the desire to do so. But we as a collective group of hunters better quit pissing on each other and have each other's backs no matter if we are jealous of Daddy's money, if we just don't desire to hunt a species, or hunt a certain way that is legal, etc ... or one day we might find the anti's going full force after the one way of hunting that we are passionate about. Collectively, we hunters continue to be our own worst enemies.

I love the photo of this young lady and her giraffe!

8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I affirmed you with a like! :lol::bhod:

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Killing cheetahs for underwear is a big no no for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillO likes this.
  10. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wear giraffe skin underwear. The neck part is especially useful

11. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Breitbart news has an article about the issue. Really nice pics on there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    bwahahaha

:lmao2:

14. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhtr1 likes this.
  15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just drawing the line at killing cheetahs for big underwear.

16. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting conversation and different perspectives within a population of hunters.

Christine nailed it from the get go. To some, if not most of the non hunting public, a picture of a hunter and a whitetail, is just as disgusting, no matter how tastefully and staged the photogrpher think he/she did it.

I remember an Andy Griffith episode where Andy said “ What looks like fighting to some folks is dancin’ to others.” I don’t get shooting a giraffe, but I have many friends who don’t get me shooting a whitetail.

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have no problem with people hunting giraffes. I don't even have a problem with someone posing with it. However, for some reason that picture just didn't sit right with me. The totality of it all I suppose.

18. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to be a wise guy. I am really curious how you or anyone else that doesn’t like the phot thinks the animal should have been displayed or posed for the picture that would be more tasteful.

The animal is upright, just as we would pose a whitetail. If you don’t wrap the neck forward you have to wrap it behind which would look even weirder.

19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said, the totality of it all. Partly the picture, partly the story. Young girl flying to Africa saying her dream hunt is to kill some old giraffe and then poses with it on facebook. I don't know why that doesnt sit well with me. Just being honest.

20. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why does something posted to some twitter handle with <5000 followers constitute news picked up my msm anyway?