Why did this happen?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by .09 Outdooors, Nov 5, 2014.

1. .09 Outdooors

.09 Outdooors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was hunting tonight and i have great cover around my stand from behind and to the left and its pretty open to out front but that's it. I washed my clothes and my self in scent free stuff and had doe pee on the boots. I walked in from the right of the stand too. So about 15 minutes before sunset off im just staring off into an empty field and I hear a deer do that terrible snort "I busted your dumbass" noise we have all heard. It came from behind and to my left. I didn't walk in over there, there was no wind, and i looked and couldn't see the thing either (I can see about 15 yards max)...then 20 minutes later I had 2 does come out to my right and start coming to me but darkness beat them to my stand...So my question is how the hell did I get busted? or do you think maybe it just freaked out about something besides me like a stick fell on it or something...

Also I don't text or do any thing besides day dream in the stand so it wasnt me moving....Could it be bad deer pee because the stuff i used didn't smell like it normally does...could of been old and rotten?

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If there was no wind, then what makes you think it was snorting at you? They snort at yotes and even bucks too, not just people. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about being "busted" when you may not have been.

3. rtolliver

rtolliver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are to many variables when it comes to getting busted. Let's face it, deer are smarter than you think. They live the same day over and over which includes a constant threat from predators including us. Sometimes we HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH the fact they get spooked. The herd is on constant alert. I will admit I have definitely been seen and winded (last week I had a stare down with a 3 year old 8 point...I am an idiot because I whipped my head around after I heard a grunt). If you prep your cover and scent there is little left you can do. If you think about it, this is WHY IT"S FUN.

4. Rynos

Rynos Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They snort at lots of stuff not just people. Could have been at the other deer that were headed your way?

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also remember that thermals play a part in scent dispersion. As the temps cool drafts will move down valleys and gullies. May be slight enough to carry you scent to the deer. You from the sound of it did what you supposed too but it's hard to beat a white tails nose.

6. Scout22

Scout22 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Copperhead nailed it.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really notice them blowing at scent. Scent will put them on alert, or cause them to take off, but in my experience they don't blow just because of scent. Like others said, they blow at all sorts of stuff, so my guess is, unless she caught you moving, she probably wasn't blowing at you.

8. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    U prolly got spotted or winded and your just not aware of it. It's definitely possible that it was a fluke thing. I personally don't put scent on my clothes or boots, I prefer a drag which can then be hung up in a shooting lane.

9. Rightwing

Rightwing Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thermals cause your scent to drift downward in the afternoon as the air cools and becomes denser, it will rise in the mornings when the sun causes the air to expand and get lighter.

Rule of thumb hunt high places in the morning and low places in the evening.