Why did I have to go and buy a Lone Wolf assault last year?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by smctitan, Jul 15, 2013.

1. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Purchased the Lone Wolf assault last year and absolutely loved it after using it 90% of my hunts last season. I have now acquired a new lease in addition to my current one and public land hunting. I will use my LW for my new lease and my climber for public land, but now what am I going to do about my old faithful lease? The LW is worth every penny I spent on it, but this year I don't have the extra money for another one. I've been looking around and comparing treestands and there isn't much of a comparison. These types of decisions are tough! :fro:

2. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why can't you use your LW for both leases?

3. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 lone wolf assaults and a sit and climb love them but I like gorilla stands and sticks for a permanent stand, you cant beat the price.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  4. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Ideally I'd like to have two separate stands because the leases aren't anywhere close to each other. I haven't quite mastered the run-n-gun style people advertise with the LW products and it has become more of a permanent stand for me. I like them because I'm 6'5 and 235 lbs and they are very stable underneath me.

5. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Put in your ladder, climbing sticks, tree steps, or whatever you use to get up the tree as well as an EZ hang hook at each permanent stand location. This will allow you to have several permanent stand sites but use only 1 stand. And won't be as cumbersome as the run-n-gun style that some of us use.

Otherwise, I'll 2nd the post above me and recommend a Gorilla treestand.

6. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good recommendation. One stand but several stick setups. I will have to look into this one more. Thanks buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com

7. Troutking

Troutking Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lone wolfs are made for mobile hunting, Just hang it and hunt each time.

8. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I do anymore. I buy 20' stick ladders and hang/hunt those in my permanent locations.

For mobile hunting I pack in my assault and 5 sticks.

9. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Go to the LW website and order several of the easy-hang hooks and go set up a few spots at each place. Put up your bow hangers and lifelines then a quick setup and your done at any site with only one stand!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 2

10. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Glad I posted this, the responses are very helpful and make a lot more sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com

11. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had really good luck and experiences with the El Cheapo Guide Gear Stands from Sportsmanguide. If i am going to hunt all day i will use my climber. FOr morning or evening hunts that will last 2-4 hours i use hang ons.

I just order a new one and is the third style i have tried.

The standard platform hang on do the job. The seat are uncomfortable, but an occassional 10 minute standing period here and there and its fine.

1) $30 hang on.... its small, very small, but for quick hunts in the evening it does fine. I dont think i could hunt from one for more than a couple hours.

2) $35 hang on.... The platform is bigger, and really gives you a lot more room. Have hunted many times from these stands for 3-4 hour hunts, and a few longer than that.

3) $53 hang on... I just ordered this one. It has the sling style padded seat with padded back rest so i am expecting to be able to hunt in this on an all day hunt if i want. The only thing i do not care for is the armrest. I will try the stand out and give them a chance but i may end up taking them off.

They also sell climbing sticks. The alternating step style sticks are $35 for 20ft section. The mini ladder style sticks are like $45.

I have never used LW stands. I will be the first to say they are somewhat heavy and are not the quality stand that LW is (even without using one). But i leave my hang on stands up. A few have been up for a few years and they are doing great. I paint them with Rustoleum before putting them out.

By purchasing the guide gear stands, I can have atleast 2 full set up tree stands with money to spare compared to purchase the LW stand alone. By the time you buy the sticks, and order a few extra sections to get you high enough, i could easily have 4, maybe 5 complete set ups.

Again i know its comparing apples to oranges here, but I hate hanging stands or climbing before i hunt and get all sweaty, make noise, etc.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013