Why Country Music Was Awful in 2013

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Hooker, Dec 26, 2013.

1. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No he wasn't. He actually had some good stuff at one time, then he went bat**** crazy. He was active during the transition and did have some of the blame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  2. mr4pt

mr4pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, he was. IMO

I saw Garth in a hole in the wall bar in Fayetteville, AR in 1989. He had 1 hit, "much too young to feel this damn old". He sang a few songs that was ok then about 30 minutes into his show he lost his damn mind and started running all over the place, jumping around like a fool, and playing rock and roll. There may have been 100 people watching, I only went because it was the bar I always went to. About 1/4 of us went to another bar before he was done.

My point is, he brought a style to country music that most traditionalists hate. At the time everyone said how good it was for country music because the newer generation would pay attention. They did. Any punk with a microphone was all of a sudden from backwoods Alabama or the Piney Woods of East Texas and singing about their pickup trucks, dirt roads, tractors and their "girl". Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Hunter Hayes, Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, etc etc etc. You couldn't pick them out of a lineup, much less tell one from another on the radio.

I took a trip to Nashville, TN over the 4th of July. I visited the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Grande Ol Opry. Jones had just passed a month or so before so we went to his grave site. He is laid to rest right beside Johnny Paycheck and a few other greats. When we pulled up to the plot, Big Green Tractor came on the radio. I swear I felt the ground shake from some of them turning over.

Attached Files:

3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He definitely was crazy in his shows but songs like the dance, thunder roles and if tomorrow never comes are some great songs and country.

4. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brantley Gilbert's versions are always soooo much better than Jason Aldeans. I really lost all respect for Jason between the cheating and watching a video where he was talking about the song "Dirt Road anthem" and his answers would have lead people to believe he co-wrote it when in fact Brantley Gilbert and Colt Ford wrote it.

Brantley Gilbert, Eric Church and Blake Shelton are my favorite 3 right now. Throw in Miranda Lambert for a bonus.

Florida Georgia Line just pisses me off. Just plain stupidity right there.

5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He was a big reason I started listening to country music. I'll be buying tickets to see his show when he comes near or to Charlotte NC 2014.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You mean as opposed to the fake country music singers, :lol:?

I don't care so much about the artists usage but was pointing at the lifestyles that seem to go hand in hand with the different genres. Look up a list of drug songs and look at the artists....there's a pretty staggering high percentage of hard rockers absolutely owning the list. I don't think even Waylon had a lot of songs that were composed and inspired based on used needles left on the floor after a concert like Hand of Doom by Black Sabbath. {Geezer Butler}

7. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How the hell did the discussion get into drug usage?

8. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Someone posted they don't listen to rock because of the sex and drugs.

My comment was that most of the traditional "famous" country singers were no different. Hank. Willie. Waylon....ect.

9. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well that is just dumb.

10. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    "If you don't think drugs have done good things for us, then take all of your records, tapes and CD's and burn them." Bill Hicks

11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a pretty loose interpretation....
    I said I don't listen to it because I don't like it.

12. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Taylor Not So Swift was enough to send me to talk radio.

13. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw this same post on FB. I'd say this video is true of 5-6 singers. I could name a dozen or more that had great songs this last year and no mention of trucks, river banks or girls in tight jeans. It's a terrible generalization.

With that being said, I've been listening to a lot of Texas Country recently. If you submit "Jason Boland and the Stragglers" into Pandora, there are some great songs and bands suggested.

The songs mentioned in the video are great for women and people new to country. It's kind of like what Moscato did to new wine drinkers. It's not the best, but consumers looking to drink wine made the switch after they found something they liked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com

14. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm actually watch Garth live from Vegas right now (on tv), not a big country fan so this is the first time I've seen him live - he actually looks like he's on crack, his eyes are going to bulge out if his head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He's always had that look in his eyes.

I found it interesting when he said randy travis first crosssd over onto the pop charts in the early 80's and was upset and wanted off them.

16. Dunlap

Dunlap Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've listened to country music all my life and the stuff you hear now days is alright at best. I've lived and grew up in the south my whole life and I can relate to most of what they sing about. I think Florida Georgia line is trash, so is Hunter Hayes, Carey Underwood, Darius Rucker (Yes he did butcher wagon Wheel) and Taylor swift. There are a few good artists out there and I really like Wade Bowen- Songs about trucks, Thomas Rhett Jr. Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton are always doing something new, Dierks Bently has a few good songs especially like the song I hold on.

I grew up listening to old stuff though and if I had to choose, I'll take Hank Sr, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, etc. Nothing beats original country. Can never go wrong with a little David Allan Coe either

17. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  18. Mr.CluckCluck

Mr.CluckCluck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jamey Johnson for the win

19. mr4pt

mr4pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He's the best thing to happen to country music since Keith Whitely

20. deerslayer15

deerslayer15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nobody will ever sing country as good as George jones, johnny cash, Conway twitty, and ole hank