Who's planning on using a decoy this year?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Greg / MO, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Carry-Lite a few years back, but only used it a couple times that year. I'm definitely bringing it along on a few hunts this year to have some fun with...

Anyone else hunt over a deke, and how's your results been?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've been meaning to do this for the past few years, I just never get around to it. I bought a Renzo's last year that's still in the package. I'm thinking about it, but only time will tell I guess.

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up a Carry Lite last winter. Bought it to use wolf hunting and plan on using it this fall deer hunting as well. Though, I will be cautious as to when and where.

4. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You know I will be I have had great luck in Illinois useing one. The scareface from primos is really great looking and the bobblehead I think will add that movement that so many big boys stand out and look for. Walt

5. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll use mine again this year. I'm still learning how to use it. :confused:

6. stikbow26

Dislikes Received:
    One secret that was taught to me is to only put on 1 antler and that way it doesn't scare away the little bucks. I think I am going to cut one of the antlers in half this year and try it like a broken antler!! Walt

7. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never used a decoy but isn't the goal to bring in the bigger and more aggressive bucks with a decoy and not litle bucks?

8. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used my 3D target a few times. Never shot anything over it tho. Had a few does and young one investigate it but no bucks. Might try it on the new place this year.

9. stikbow26

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is but if you are scaring all the does and little bucks away the big boys wont come over and play!!! Once you pass the test of the little guys the big boys come over and when the decoy doesn't back down he is going to get a whooping from mister big!!! Two years ago when I shot my big one video we had 4 little bucks sniffing and walking around the decoy when the big boy came in to kick ass.. Walt

10. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I need to look into a decoy so I can try it out. I have had deer come in and fight only to have the big boy show up to run them off so it might be fun with a decoy.

11. stikbow26

Dislikes Received:
    It's a gas watching them come in and start lowering there head and walking stiff legged and start to walk sideways!! Really gets the heart going!! and they are so fixed in the decoy you could do jumping jacks in your tree and they wouldn't notice!! But I will say I have also had bucks come to feild look at the decoy and turn around and walk off so it's not a fix all. Walt

12. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Walt, I've used decoys before and have had problems with attracting a crowd of deer that I'm not interested in shooting. They keep me pinned in the tree until after dark. I usually wait until they move out of range before sneaking down. Trying to grab the decoy and get out of there undetected is a PITA. How do you handle this?

Also, I've been told that if you use the decoy as a buck that you should place it 25-35 yards from your stand and have it facing you. The reason for this, as I was told, is because when a buck approaches another buck(decoy), the approach him head on and usually from half the distance or less between the brush (stand site) and the decoy. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

13. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For years I have been hunting mostly forest and have not seen an advantage to using or in my case trying to use one. In the last two years I have gotten on some field land an have been thinking about getting my a decoy. Seems like you guys like the carry lite. I may have to look at that.

14. huntingson

huntingson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used a decoy one time and it was a blast. I used a buck with one antler. It was just a little guy that came in, but it sure was neat to watch him interact with that thing. I am definitely going to use it a few times this year.

I am also going to use the Montana decoy elk this year. I hope to have similar results but only time will tell.

15. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    That's exactly right... and opposite for using the deke as a doe, as a buck will come in to sniff her rump. I've heard a lot of stories about mature does coming into a field and blowing at a strange doe though, but they will basically ignore a buck. You'd almost think it would be the opposite; maybe it's because they're used to bucks wandering more?

Greg, what I did the few times I used one is remove it from the field edge I was on and hid it in some nearby bullrushes that were super-thick; that kept it out of sight and I didn't have to lug it back to my vehicle after dark either.

16. ToddGraf

ToddGraf Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to for sure... I have had luck doing it in the past.

17. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've thought about going with a decoy. I love to be vocal and I am very successful at it (yes, tooting my own horn :) ) The problem with me being very vocal is that the bucks that come in are looking for that other "buck." I might give it a shot this year.

18. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    We'll have at least one, if not two, ground blinds at our disposal this year when Matt comes out... we're talking about brushing one into some standing corn and placing the deke out in front of it. That could get pretty exciting if the action was hot.

19. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i've been thinking about it. this yr at the deer/turkey expo there was a guy selling an inflatable doe & had a tail that would move by remote control. looked interesting. he had videos of it out w/other deer & they never spooked. Has anyone seen this thing. when the tail moves, it looks just like a deer flicking it's tail when eating.

20. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yeah! Let us know how it goes.

I think I might just bring out my buck mount and hang it on a tree and see if that draws any attention. :)