Who's gardening and raising chickens 2023

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by oldnotdead, Feb 21, 2023.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    3 week tomorrow getting big

20230406_175504.jpg 20230406_175453.jpg

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking of buying some tomato plants and putting them by the growlights and start hydroponic?

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am also going to take out a lilac clump and plant a couple apple trees, perhaps some pear trees. Ever had pear schnapps, good stuff.

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I do miss flavored schnapps. Peppermint in hot dark chocolate or cocoa on a cold winter afternoon

5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Back down in low 30' s this morning. But we are starting g a week long dry spell that will allow me to get the garden worked up and greens planted.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Oh No!
    Walked into TSC to pic up lime, I buy 2 bags a week until summer. Checked out their chicks. On cashing out someone mentioned birds and I find out the 2 week old broad breastfed turkey were on sale $5 a piece,half off the 9.98 price. I still had to buy six. Hoping they'll help to be guard "dogs" for the chickens this summer. Straight run so no idea what I got. They area tad smaller than the first chickens at a week difference. I hand picked them because they were looking a tad rough and many had been back pecked. Got the most alert and clean feathered. Way more talkative.. looks like second batch of laying hens are on hold. No room at the inn right now

20230407_142649.jpg 20230407_142637.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Electolights in the water is a must.

8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yes and they get it 2x's a day it only took two days for them to need a new home. Thank God I had a grooming business and saved the crates.. they are now eating great and active.

20230409_124645.jpg
    20230409_124655.jpg

9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I got more tilling done. I moved atrellis , planted more peas, spinach and lettuce.

10. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A few weeks later than normal due to time spent helping with the tornado clean up, finally got around to planting a garden this weekend. Two strawberry bushes, three blueberry bushes, one blackberry bush, cucumbers, and several pepper varieties. Hopefully adding okra next weekend, we couldn’t find any this weekend. Got the whole family involved and the neighbor’s kids.

upload_2023-4-15_21-21-50.jpeg upload_2023-4-15_21-21-50.jpeg upload_2023-4-15_21-21-50.jpeg

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet love seeing kids out side doing stuff like that.

cantexian likes this.
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Busy weekend..trellises moved nearly everything tilled. 2 more rows of peas, 3 rows of spinach, as well as a row of beets,one of swisschard. A plot of carrots and one of lettuce and more radish.
    First peas and radish are just peeping through
    Strawberriescleaned andreadyfor diometrus earth and fertilizer. The asparagus is popping but I lost a plant maybe 2. The rhubarb is leafed out and I lost just one of the divisions I made.. the kale, and collards will go in once rains pass. I start melons from seed tonorrow.
    All other brassica,peppers,tomatoes and I'm hoping eggplant are growing well. I also have lettuce starts. We have e one more week of freezing temps before some brassica go in ground

13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So I have 16 kale plants in 2 Romain, and 3 jade some thing? Could be Brussels or broccoli or a cabbage. I need to check seed packs
    I saved all TP and paper towel rolls and Plant in the tubes as collars against cut worms after tonight and tomorrow's rain's. The DE goes down for the slugs snails and bugs in general.
    I also use that in the chicken coop with just a touch in food when they go out side. Keeps intestinal worms down . Lice and foot mite at bay also helps with fly issues. The coops get. Sticky fly ribbons hung high. Another reason side walls where the green house will set on are 36 "

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
  14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So I enjoy punishing myself. Went to get supplies and found out this is the last week for the chicks at TSC. Well didn't they have the birds I got two more Americana. Not the biggest or best layers but really pretty birds with blue green eggs and Hawk like features. Also got 2 buff orpingtons and 2 white leg horns that will givsoe me 14 hens and one happy rooster.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Heavy snows ,freezing temps I went out and check the garden. All plants including Romain lettuce look GREAT
    Rhubarb and strawberries look great. My poor asparagus looks like ......a guy who thinks he's on a hot date with a beautiful woman only to find a " hidden" package...lol

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Tough room
    Lol
    Today was supposed to be moving day for the birds..no grandsons scheduled change dumped that...had fun and he was thrilled all grandparents showed.
    I did get screening on the windows and gathered all the cardboard to line upper inside walls from to much wind. The barn wood has shrunk a bit over the years. Just need to attach the divider hardware clothe lay down the new bedding and install roosting limbs. They seem to really like the three limb they have now.
    Used up a bunch of scrap I saved the old roofs aluminum drip edge , I Used to secure the window screening nice and tight. The very last pieces of my 8x4ft cardboard sheets. Man that right there has been gold. Old metal screen we'd saved for years. Bedding old bales of straw from dogs and two old bales of hay from goats we kept.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
  17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone is moved and happy. The chickens were all up on their 3 roost when I startled them opening the door. So they are right at home the turkeys are very chill in their new digs
    20230430_180226.jpg 20230430_180216.jpg 20230430_174536.jpg

18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So how are those gardens coming along?
    My peas are up and doing well . Though something did get the seeds in one row. I planted 4 just incase. All brassica are doing great as long as I keep watering . Rain due this weekend.two rows of spinach and the one of beets are all doing great. Was worried that warm weather would bolt the spinach but night temps have been low. In fact going to thirty tomorrow night. All other plants have been hardening off at the house. Green house still too cool at night . Onions are peeking , garlic is getting big. Lettuce and ocha are coming along well. Haven't seen carrots yet and radish are about ready..
    Making rhubarb sauce today. I caged all strawberryand the asparagus (still can't pic,one more year)from critters and future chicken and turkey. Berries are in full bloom as are all the blue blue berry bushes. Today I prep and maybe plant the corn. Melons are in pots growing at the house and I'm holding off on all other seed until weather reports get those low thirties out of it. I'm using the diometrus earth to fight bugs right now. No slugs , snail in berries. Unfortunately A.J. has killed most my snakes but the toads are still doing well.

19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Oh thankfully down to two toms and two hens, son took his two home. His chickens are beating up on them though they are twice their size. That won't last long, the boys love them. Had to explain to son these HAVE TO BE EATEN in just a month or two. If he wants watch dogs for his chickens or future eggs for chicks he has to get a heritage Tom and hen. These two are his "test" as to wanting more.

20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Wish me luck looked at weather and it said 24°. Now that would be the valley, ours said 29. Sun's just peeking ridge. Will take everything off when its up a bit.
    Never let a PITA go without getting some good out of it. All the hoops will remain in place and I bought row cover material. Had a cabbage moth in there two days ago. Dusteded but prefer just covering them for bugs. So if they survived I'm all set for that and less work in the long run.

The Old Man likes this.