Who started you bow hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Worzeth, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For many years my cousin asked me every year. You should come up north and go hunting with me. Every year I told him I wasn't interested. Then finally I told him that if I was ever to go hunting it would be with a bow and not a gun like he hunts with. That way it's more fair. I know what you're thinking... You're thinking that my cousin got me hunting? Nope.... So after that conversation I did a google search on "Bow Hunting" and found this site. It happened to be the Friday that Episode 5 of season 1 of the "Bow Hunt or Die!" web show had came out. Justin Zarr. Todd's Co-Host had a hunt on that episode where it was Halloween day and he was out in the tree and shot a buck. His total excitement and hard to talk and his facial expression's got my heart pumping. So at that point I called my cousin and said let's try bow hunting! I've been hooked ever since. I count down the days every year to October 1st. I love every minute of it. So Justin is the reason I hunt today. (If you happen to read this Thank you so much Justin for your enthusiasm and for starting me out in this great hobby and sport of ours)..

alenhard15, Anthony2991 and w33kender like this.
  2. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My Grandfather got me into all things deer hunting, he has taught me countless things about deer behavior and woodsmenship. I learned to shoot my bow by myself pretty much, although I've always had my local bow shop guy to go to whenever I had a question. But every tactic I apply when hunting today comes from what he has taught me.

3. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Three things got me into bowhunting:
    1. I had extra money from Christmas presents and literally had no idea what to spend it on. My wife asked me what was something that I have always wanted to do but haven't. After thinking I said that I liked archery and would like to own a bow. After looking on Craigslist I got a bow for cheap and started shooting it and loved it.
    2. After hearing about me shooting a bow, a friend of mine who was already into hunting kept trying to convince me that I should come out with him. I just couldn't see myself shooting a deer though, since I grew up in Southern CA and they are about as rare as seeing angels.
    3. I read an article that talked about eating "ethical" meat, comparing the feedlot meat to that harvested by a hunter. After seeing how outrageous the anti-hunter mindset that I had been trained in was, I went out with my friend on my first hunting trip.

From there I have been hooked ever since...

4. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Funny story but My dad taking me to a Ted Nugent concert is what got me into archery. I saw him shoot a arrow into a bow and it exploded and was awesome. The next day I told my dad I wanted to shoot what Deadly Teddly was shooting so he took me to the local archery shop and he got me my first Bear compound. Was hooked ever since. None of my family hunts so actually learning has been on my own and through reading publication's on hunting (know TV, youtube, and on here).

Shawn
    Jennings ProGold
    Easton FMJ 339 grains
    NAP Spitfire DoubleCross 100 grains
    2017 Team 3 Shed Hunting
    2017 Team 6 Turkey Hunting
    2017 Team 5 Deer Hunting

5. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    myself....nobody ever introduced me to it. Back in 86 my father bought me a bear recurve and said go have fun with it..I did, and it just kept my interest.

Anthony2991 likes this.
  6. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Being in the military I always wanted to hunt, but being from LA, No one hunts, I got station in San Diego and my neighbor had a Mathews sticker on his truck, so I ask him about it. Did research and bought a bow off Craigslist. Then I was hooked on archery, he taught me how to hunt so We hunted together but ended up shooting a deer with my shotgun after a few misses with my bow. I got orders to VA and took 8 deer in the 3 years I have been here with my bow and am hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cantexian and alenhard15 like this.
  7. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My wife did actually and she doesn't hunt at all. Her team from work did a team building event and they all rented bows and had fun. We decided to do it as a family event and I ended up in the pro-shop. Spent the last 4 years hunting a lot with my dad and that brought us back together in a way I'll cherish the rest of my life. This was my first year hunting without him and man I sure miss him. This is also the first year in the last 5 I got skunked deer hunting. He knew what he was doing and I've got a lot still to learn.

tkaldahl2000 likes this.
  8. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    There's hunting in CA, it's just not like the midwest. One piece of advice is stay in VA or near there if you can for hunting. It's not getting any better out here. Best of luck to ya and thanks for your service!

Frankiecruzer likes this.
  9. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to mention hopefully I don't go back to CA, not to mention a license with 6 deer tags is about $60, compared to $100 in Ca for 1 tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My pastor got into bow hunting. He told about the adrenaline rush there is with bow & how much more fun it was than gun hunting. That 2011, my first bow was a Diamond Infinite Edge. Killed 2 deer it, then I was addicted. I still feed my addiction by getting a different bow every chance I get. As of now I have 6 bows. So I may need some help. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Frankiecruzer and 95grvrMotive6 like this.
  11. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    You won't be missing much if you don't come back!

12. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know a single gun hunter that only has one rifle. I see no problem at all!

13. jeremy walk

jeremy walk Newb

Dislikes Received:
  14. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to a great sport but more than that thank you for your service.

15. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My friend Joel

16. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My father in law got me into rifle hunting, I took to the bow by myself. Lots of trial and error, but every season seems to get better! I got a friend into archery, it’s nice having a hunting buddy. He never really acquired the passion of it. But still nice having a buddy to hunt with.

17. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My brother in law last Christmas let me shoot his Mathews.

18. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I am opposite of most? My son had always wanted to hunt and wanted a bow when he was about 12? So I bought him a Diamond Razor's Edge for Christmas and deer tags. I knew absolutely nothing except my brother in law had set out 2 ladder stands on his dad's cattle farm. So my son and I went out for 2 weekends after Christmas. Never saw a deer,but he loved just being out! The next spring I bought an old PSE off EBay so we could shoot together, what a stress reliever! Well 2 seasons in,we learn about scent control and how bad we were at it, but we are starting to see deer. I buy a new PSE drive, and finally after 5 years a 4 pointer steps into my shooting lane, and the rest is history! I owe my son, because I am not sure I would have ever done this, now it is my passion!

19. catman529

catman529 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got into hunting myself... my dad used to camp, fish and hike as a kid. Rest of my family never was real big into the outdoors. I always was, got into fishing at 11, took up an interest in hunting at 17. It just grew from there... now it's a way of life. I am 25 now

20. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Myself. My parents still can't figure out how I got so into hunting because not one family member of mine hunts besides my cousin who I got into hunting. They got me my first BB gun when I was 4 and it took off from there. My parents had to take me pheasant/deer hunting for the first few years until I was old enough to hunt alone. Now my dad slug hunts and some occasional bow hunting with my old bow. Pretty cool seeing him enjoy it now. I'm 27 and dad is 56. Hoping to get him into waterfowl hunting one of these years as well. My wife also hunts with me a lot and now I cant wait until my little guy is old enough!

Rangerdan likes this.