Who shoots single bevel broadheads?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ganderss2424, Jan 9, 2019.

1. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just curious to hear some of your opinions with some of the buzz around them right now. what are your experiences with them? getting good blood trails? short track jobs? bone busting power? Or is it all just hype and sales pitch. Yes I've heard of the ashby reports, but looking for more biased/unbiased opinions. Kind of an expensive head to take the plunge into.

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a pack of Dirt nap single bevel heads and had all sorts of tuning problems with them. They would plane out and I would miss targets at 40 yards on top of being incredibly loud. Flat out couldn't broadhead tune or shoot a consistent group where I could stack any other broadhead I had. Haven't had experience with any others

3. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Kudupoints 125gr. They shot right with my field points out to 60 and 70 yards. Haven't killed anything yet. Shooting Gold Tip Hunter Pro 300 Blazer Vanes, 50gr insert. Right around 500 gr total.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I actually am switching to a single beveled head after years of wanting to..however I'm revamping the entire arrow build to achieve HIGH FOC, gross weight of 600grains and have it tipped with a single beveled head.

Truth be told just like mechanicals they have their pros and cons. IMO the only real con a well made hardened single bevel head has is its "typically" smaller cutting service and width. This will mean on soft tissue contact say guts, the broadhead damage to the organs will not be as violently wide as say a big diameter mechanical..however, the forced spinning nature of single bevel has been known to snap skin/organ tissue causing tears well beyond the shear blade contact....it is however a con of single bevels.

The main positives I am switching to them is they're the clear winner in penetration power through anything, the hardest of all being solid bone. Having experienced hitting a deer in the shoulder joint just one too many times, I want to know my head is designed for splitting/twisting through bone. It literally is made for it.

The other reason I wanted to is they "typically" are offered in very high weights talking 150grains and up to as high as 300grains. Basically increasing FOC...and on the backside making my everyday bow set up not need changing should I decide to go after Elk someday.

ganderss2424 likes this.
  5. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Drts are one of the worst heads on the market. Doesn't count.

davidingle likes this.
  6. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look in my signature. There is list of single bevels that are all affordable good quality single bevel heads. My favorite are the cutthroats. 55 for 3 is going rate for any head.

Nothing is better on bone. Especially ones with a tanto tip.

Blood trail is 90% shot placement. High to low doesn't matter which head you'll have blood on the ground. Any other shot mileage will vary.

They have incredible durability. This is so important. If the business end breaks/bends it's game over. Single bevels by nature must be thick in order to achieve rotation. Kills two birds with one stone; doesn't break easy and cause tons of internal damage.

They hold an edge like nothing else which causes more arteries cut throughout penetration. If you.want blood on the ground the head has to hold an edge all the way through. All these heads are made of solid high grade metals so they tend to hold n edge better than most other heads made of lower grades. This holds ever more true for the really expensive heads like bishop and GS.

If you have questions don't hesitate sending me a pm.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    ganderss2424 likes this.
  7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh boy!!

I wish I was smart and had a " new" concept that would make people spend thier money on.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Actually single beveled heads have been around since before compounds and well beyond any modern technology.

I'd almost bet they were around before even flinlocks were.