Who is videotaping their hunts this fall?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Ever since our buddy Todd over at WKP got bit by the filming bug two years ago we've been working hard at filming our own hunts as well. We're not the best in the world, but I like to think we're not the worst either. Some of you may or may not have seen a few of our hunts on The Grind or the Campbell Outdoor Challenge TV show recently. You can check a few of them out on YouTube as well if you want.

I know a few guys around here are filming as well for various production companies, or just for their own personal use. So tell me, what types of setups are you guys using this fall? We had Canon GL2s the past two years and just recently upgraded to the XHA1 (HD baby! :rock:). Today was the first time I got the camera in my hands and WOW, what a step up from the GL2. I love the fact that the battery is enclosed inside the camera. And the external adjustments for the iris and shutter speed are sweet as well. That GL2 sucked when it started getting dark, even with 15-20 minutes of shooting light left. I'm hoping these new ones pick up the slack on that for sure. I'm excited to get out and use it a bit this weekend.

As for the camera arms, I think we're going to try out the new Muddy Outdoors arm for this fall. It looks like a mini version of the HB arm for around $200 retail. I would like to get an HB arm, but our budget is a little tight right now (damn cameras aren't cheap!!). We've been using the HunterCam Cradle HD arms, which are decent but there's too much flex/bounce in the arm for my liking. Makes it hard to keep it steady in the tree which takes your focus away from making sure you're in frame, focused, etc.

So what's everyone else up to for this fall?

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll take pics of the little ones when they walk by. But I don't think I'll be dong any filming, except maybe with my Sony Handycam.

I don't want to mess up my one opportunity at a big one.

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your going to LOVE the XHA1. Dave picked one up before this spring turkey season, it is simply amazing. He put it in a mode that made the decoy look like broad daylight when it actually was hard to see it at all due to how dark it was.

Its got more options than my laptop. Me and my hunting partner will still be filming with his GL2....I too might pick up a muddy outdoors arm. We film about half of the time deer hunting, but when turkey season rolls around I am rarely in the woods without a cameraman or as a cameraman. Filming adds a great aspect to hunting, I love it.

4. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up an el-cheapo Mini-DV Sony Handycam - and I'll be dragging it around with me. Since I almost always hunt alone, and my time is pretty limited - don't expect much. Probably just a little footage of bucks that I decide to pass, and maybe some scouting.

I did break down and buy a tripod on clearance at Radio Shack for it (a whopping $12 investment), and it's remotely possible that an el-cheapo, bargain-basement ghetto camera tree arm could find its way into my pack... But that's about it. Expect to see some shaky, grainy, and otherwise crappy video out of me this fall. I'll try to make it at least amusing enough to be somewhat watchable.

Maybe bowhunting.com could put aside a little bandwidth for hosting amateur bowhunting video clips. High-quality, with lots of space available for upload. hint hint

5. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We're still using Sony PD-170's - as we just can't justify making the jump to HD yet. Too many team members that aren't able to make the commitment.

I'm not planning on going HD for probably 2 or 3 more years at the minimum. Most guys just can't aford to rip through $10.00 tapes with a $4,000.00 camera set-up.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Cameras are closer to $3,000 and they use standard DV tapes, nothing special for the HD. Makes it a little less costly anyways. Editing is going to be the fun part...

7. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the suggestion King. I will be doing the same, except for when I am with Rob.

8. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got one of those sucky GL2's to work with. Dont mind though, I'll just have to kill one in the broad daylight! :)

9. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Steve and I will be but you know that!!!! We will be useing our PD170 Jays tree arm setup with a Bogen 501 and a Bogen tripod with a 501 on it also!! Walt

10. Joey Rott

Joey Rott Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be filming too... with the same setup as the last couple of years. PD170, Sennheiser Mics, 501 head, and a non-brand camera-arm.

I think most people know i'm filming for Rut Junkie Media. I just sent our Debut "All Racked Up" disc to replication today, and should have it back in 2-3 weeks. I can't wait to start showing some people!

11. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I will be but not with the type of equipment you guys have. I am doing the more home video type thing if you know what I mean.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    We were originally going to pick up two PD170's but for the $2700ish price we figured we'd spend the extra $400 per camera and get the Canon. This way we've got the lower lux rating like the PD170 for better low-light quality and a 20x zoom versus the 12x of the Sony. All in all I hope it works out, from what I can tell so far it looks promising. :tu:

Joey - can't wait to see your first release. It's been a long time coming man. :rock:

13. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm waiting on that DVD, put me on your list.

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I'll be out with the Sony PD-170 as well this year. Sennheiser mics, Pass Thru tree arm, Bogen 501 head and tripod. I'm also looking at picking up a Muddy arm as well.

Last year was my first year filming......and I learned a ton. I'm looking forward to getting back in the stand this year and laying down some footage from around the country. I'll be in front of the camera and also behind, filming my good friend and new Junkie Crew member John Herrmann as well as my wife Jill. Its going to be a blast. :rock: :nana:

I was thinking about upgrading to HD as well this year, but there was no need to yet. I have been looking at getting the newest edition to the Sony family, the HVR-Z7U.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532558-REG/Sony_HVR_Z7U_HVR_Z7U_HDV_Camcorder.html

I really like the option of an interchangable lense and have read a lot of good reviews on it.

Yep, our first video will be out soon......don't expect nearly as long of a wait for the next one. ;)

15. ToddGraf

ToddGraf Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to kick both Justin and Todd P. in the A__, for getting me into all of this filming. Yes, I have to say I am pumped and have pledged to film as much as possible this fall. As far as gear, If JZ has is using it I am as well.

16. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    HD need is a ways off but want is there.

And thanks for insulting my new camera Justin. I just picked up a GL2 and don't intend on being in a tree without it even if I'm alone. I have several batteries, boom mic, wireless mics etc..

I haven't picked out a camera arm yet so I'm shopping.

To date,

I've filmed either being taken or taken myself about 12-15 whitetails and over a dozen gobblers. I hope to keep that pace going.

17. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    We're filming hunts, but we're not the greatest editors as of yet. I'm been playing with Premiere Element qutite a bit and hopefully I'll be decent by the time it comes time to put all the footage together. We're filming with a Panasonic AG-DV100B

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=94944&catGroupId=14571&surfModel=AG-DVX100B

The camera does really well, personally I would have purchased something different... but I didn't buy it. Should be a good time none the less. We have some velvet footage and should have more after the weekend. :evil:

18. Joey Rott

Joey Rott Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank guys. The DVD Cover is released though!

http://rutjunkie.com/forum/index.php?topic=976

19. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    my son is going out for his first hunt w/his new shotgun. I plan on taping that. Hopefully he'll get a bowtech edge in a couple of weeks, & get him started on that. any tips from anyone on how to video, what's successfull, what to look for, settings on the camera, etc. any help appreciated. I'd love to get him on tape with his first deer.

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Not insulting, just needed an upgrade! It did well enough for us over the past two years, just make sure you get the job done while there's plenty of light! :D