Who is using .....

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by shed, Oct 23, 2008.

1. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Trail Cameras that send wireless photos. I am very interested in these and how they are working for you.. thanks in advance

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just to give you a quick heads up on them Troy they might not be considered fair chase by the P&Y or B&C being there wireless and send you a message. They might even be Illegal In some states possibly, not sure though. Make sure you check your states Regulation's.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Steve - I don't believe they are illegal (at least from what I've read on the 'net) as they are not used during the actual harvest the way a spotlight or a lighted sight pin would be.

As for how they work, Todd just picked up a couple that he's using both in IL and WI. Obviously the big pro is being able to get pics pretty much instantly sent to your e-mail/phone as they come in. The downside is not only do you pay a monthly fee for the service, but you pay for each image that is sent to you! Depending on the quality (size) of the image the price fluctuates from 10 cents to like 50 cents per image. Needless to say, it can get real expensive real quick. Also, you need to make sure you have cell coverage where you want the camera at, or it does you no good.

On the plus side, they're super cool. You can log into any of your cameras through your account at any time and monitor battery life, cell reception strength, memory, etc. You can also adjust time delays and other camera settings remotely as well.

For the right guy with money to burn and a hunting spot far from home, they're great. I think for your average joe consumer, they're just too much money for what you get.

Oh, and we're talking about the Smart Scouter here.

4. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just looked In the Mn DNR Regulation's and I couldn't find anything either on wireless trail cams being Illegal. I guess a person better check there State Regs before they buy one just in case being them things aren't cheap.

5. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Justin thanks for all the info, I had no idea they would cost $ per picture. Thanks again.

6. Tribal

Tribal Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow Price per image, that would get expensive but eventually you will pay a set cost for unlimited I imagine.