Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Who here gets the virus first?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 12, 2020.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Want to bet whether congressional Democrats jump on it as soon as swab testing is normalized to an acceptable level?

Or will they jump straight to contact tracing?

They're too predictable to not do it.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not saying it not to be the case in the end.

Remember back in January and February when we also listened to china and the WHO?

Screenshot_20200423-133047_Chrome.jpg

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm kinda tired of hearing about testing... I feel it's a red herring. The medical system has been conditioned to not order unnecessary tests. Knowing/not knowing the result has little bearing on how people l behave, and they aren't likely going to change course unless they are symptomatic.

First hand accout which I'm intimately aware of... Person A was tested. Their employer hired/paid for testing of all employees after a significant other of an Employee tested positive. Person A was positive, though asymptomatic.

Person B was exposed to person A. Person B also asymptomatic, inquired of their Dr about testing. Dr says 'no need, you are asymptomatic.'

Both live in the same town. Public (drive up) testing is also available on demand.

At least in this case, tests are available. For need or not, regardless of the Dr's from contracted companies or the town (probably a contracted arrangement also).

Also, even if you test negative, **** happens... A week/month later you may be infected.

oldnotdead likes this.
  5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And hydroxy-chloroquine (sp?) showed promise...

Just relaying the market news... CNBC is aways on, in my office, during mkt hrs.

6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Also have I not heard several times that NO ONE knows just how long these anti bodies last or if they are even able to stop a reinfection. It's pretty much like the Flu shots we have now. Both I and my daughter get flu shots every year. I have had the flu the past 2 years and when I got sick at xmas I got daughter and son very sick..daughter near hospitalized and she is very healthy.
    So there are no guarantees in ant of this.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hydroxychoroquine is still inconclusive on it's own. Seems to be more selective in who sees benefits if they do, some state it saved them, some question whether they truly know if it was hydroxychloroquine or just normal course of recovery.

As trial153 stated, we aren't going to have conclusive answers until this is behind us. Whole heartedly agree on that, but at what lengths are we willing to go through to get there?

Crash the economy completely and live in a third world like atmosphere for the next 12-16 months waiting on a vaccine and government handouts?

There's some jobs out there that are never going to go away, congratulations to them. Keep things how they are now for too long, and there are some jobs that are never going to come back.

It all comes down to that moment in time when we are able to look back on it. Was it really all worth it?

8. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hypothetical question for everyone.

If your mom, dad, brother, sister, or significant other passed away due to the virus, would you think differently about it than what you do today?

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No. I have already seen the gravity of this first hand. In deaths and its effects on friends and family.
    At frist (mid to late January) i was like many dismissive of the situation. However it didnt take long for me garner enough information to believe that we were going dealing with a very real and unprecedented ( at least in modern times ) event.

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would not, and I hope that does not happen, but I as well as them understand the chance is real. I'm not denying the fact Covid-19 exists, and I am still doing my part when I can to not get infected or infect someone else. I don't wear a mask or gloves in public or at work either.

I am approx. 300 miles from the IL epicenter, my chances remain low regardless of what anyone else says. Risk of infection will always be greatest within the greatest area of outbreak. It's a "well duh" point, but it's the truth.

Chicago should have been on the strictest of lockdowns, as well as every states epicenter, even the states with low cases.

We have never had a Pandemic of this magnitude in the modern world.

Testing, testing, testing. Nope, nope, nope

Want to contain it, I think New Rochelle will be studied after this and just how effective mandated quarantine and restricted travel will be in future scenarios. Shut down all mass transits as well.

Chicago will be the study of what not to do.

NYC will always be the US epicenter in all breakouts, that is the hardest of all to solve just due to density in populace.

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    IL revision

Screenshot_20200423-145313_Facebook.jpg

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Opening May 1st

Screenshot_20200423-154048_Bixby Voice.jpg

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No.

It is frustrating that there is no clear exit path (Vax or therapy).

People are idiots.

Imho r0 is higher than flu, I've believed this since Jan. It has a deceptively long incubation period where people are asymptomatic. Some percentage of infected get very ill...some very rapidly, others slower. Pneumonia like symptoms and cardiac issues seem to be the worst side effects.

People are idiots.

Politicians lie.

People out of work.

People are idiots.

Economy in chaos, but some businesses doing great.

Post 2 pics with the bow if ya get it.

MnHunterr likes this.
  14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ps. NC got 10 more days added to our sentence. 2nd week of May is the current 'get out of jail' date (I'm betting we don't get to Go).

Though the peak for the state is projected to be late June.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    IL won't be opened until at least the 2nd week of June. It's up to Pritzker to decide when the peak is and then 14 days after for Phase 1.

Pritzker is also seeking 10 billion dollars in federal relief, but he wants to be able to misspend it any way he sees fit, nothing included that would state it's limited areas of distribution.

I hope they get nothing.

frenchbritt123 likes this.
  16. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pritzker is drunk on power, he is enjoying his authoritarian role ...but hey, he ok'd fishing (of sorts) and allowing use of the state parks .... and it is now preliminary shown the mortality rates in NY may be lower than thought, as more have been found to have had the Wuhan Chinese virus and recovered, or didnt know they had it ( around 3 million) .. mortality is less than 1% now .....

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I swear I just heard Trump say we're not there on testing yet, but we're getting there.

Germ coaching him?

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Trump on Boris Johnson, "He's a Friend of Ours, He's a friend of Mine"

Are we going to hear any Goodfellas references, Trump just said Johnsin was a made man :lol:

19. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And here is where the virus has a direct effect on our family. Remember the pork plants that closed down and it affected all of the farmers/supply chain? We have a commercial chicken barn that holds 50,000 chickens and the plant that processes them is now in the news because of covid infections.

https://knsiradio.com/news/local-ne...eport-positive-covid-19-cases?sc_ref=facebook

I sure hope that plant doesn’t get shut down. We are getting a new flock of chicks tomorrow which is a good thing I guess... we have them about 2 months before they head to the processor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Up to 34 cases, wonder if it has anything to do with the Lowes employee that tested positive.

FB_IMG_1587682739220.jpg