Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Who here gets the virus first?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 12, 2020.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Meant to add if 1 or 2 are asymptomatic, what is really being achieved aside from a legal liability standpoint?

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to walk this back a bit. Trying to find more on it, I cannot find an official confirmation ot the plant here having cases. The name I couldn't recall is JBS, they do have cases where 3 plants have shut down(not IL) but I cannot find any news on the Beardstown IL plant, CV-19 related anyway.

The rest of my description stands as stated.

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No idea if the companies where this is happening are being cautious and following the rules. Likely not.

The rest of your post basically explained my post, but in a lot more detail. People are pissed the economy is closed... but then you have instances like my post where opening back up is not helping anything and a bunch of people are getting it.

Im not blaming trump and not gunna address that because I don’t want to start another back and forth debate that’s been beaten to death already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I have no idea what reports to believe these days. So many of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Germ and axtell343 like this.
  5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To the bolded, did they shut down and open back up, or did they declare "essential" and stay open throughout with no changes for prevention.

My guess is they never shut down or changed their ways, at least not enough.

I'm not picking a fight either, solves nothing in doing so, but at the same time we cannot blame these meat plant operations on reopening vs. staying open which would fall on the Governors and their guidance, or lack of, and the company policies to adhere, or not.

And yes, I do realize SD plant where a lot are infected was possibly a result of a Governor and lack of stay at home order as her decision. I do not know what guidance she put out or if it would have changed this plant/occupation as essential.

6. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt things would be that much different if SD had a stay at home order. The packing owners need to take responsibility for their workers safety. To your point, reduce staff and output. 50% is better than zero.

A county an hour south of me is having a "cluster" at a packing plant right now. They are at 297 cases. Up 119 since Friday.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing I wonder, does having underlying conditions automatically make you more succeptible, or can you still be asymptomatic even then?

I have hypertension, take 2 meds for blood pressure every morning and it rarely keeps it in check.

I considered myself vulnerable, but now I wonder.

I have never had a flu shot, and I can honestly say I have not had the full blown flu since elementary/middle school(1st-5th grade). I'm 45 3/4.

That's why I think prior immunizations and just natural immune breakdown as you get older as the difference on who gets it or doesn't.

Heard of people from infancy to triple digits who have perished from it, yet there are cases within the same age range who have recovered.

8. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All this talk about meat processors closing is exactly why I braved Lowe’s the other weekend to buy a extra chest freezer and welded me up an oversized gambrel out of some scrap 3/4” bar stock. Eventually it’s gonna get to a point where cattle farmers are going to need to unload a cow or 2 on the cheap and I’ll be more than willing to help out. Crossing my fingers that my deer sized meat grinder can handle the job if I do it in stages.

dnoodles likes this.
  9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  10. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Last thing I saw in this suggested that between 1 and 3% of the US population has had this. That includes those people who are asymtomatic. If that number is anywhere near correct, a lot more people are going to die. Unless this thing mutates before we get a vaccine.

If I recall correctly, the death rate under the above assumption is still 5 times the rate of the flu

11. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Basically whichever way you lean or views are, that's what study one believes. I am still going with my good friend Dr. Drake who is at Henry Ford hospital on what is happening with Covid.

Oliver did a great piece of studies and BS of them

12. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    dnoodles likes this.
  13. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Look up wgem. Seem to remember seeing something oyher day about the Beardtown plant.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Idk can't find ir now. There was a few where bunch of pork was donated so maybe thats what I saw.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So got to work this morning. The whole temp/questioning was not as much as a snafu as I predicted.

Pulled up, rolled down my window, answered no to all questions. Hit me with the infrared thermometer, 38 and above you get sent home.

Reading came back 40. Freak out starts, "we got a problem over here.", "can him again", "39.7". Had me wipe my forehead after I told them I had the heat on and I came in 37.x and told to park and head inisde.

I intentionally turned the heat on on the way to work this morning. Temp was 97.7 when I left the house, I check it daily and have for the past several weeks.

Think I'll run the A/C on the way to work tomorrow, ice man cometh.

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Care to paraphrase or summarize? I don't get a signal good enough to play it, frustrating enough just refreshing pages :lol:

17. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Someone left a hot mic on before the presidents WH press conference. An exchange between a Fox news guy and a guy cleaning/setting up mics was caught on camera. The Fox news guy tells the guy who's cleaning that "you can take that mask off, the base mortality rate is between .1-.3." Cleaning guy goes... "Well that's reassuring but everyone here has been vaccinated anyways." Fox news guy goes on to tell him about a USC study stating there are only 7,000 cases in CA but there likely are 220,000 - 400,000 cases.

18. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be glad most of you don't have to look at grain prices every day...

19. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    OK this is well Into this pandemic. It's not like they didn't know they had to be way more diligent in their cleaning controls both equipment/ facility but human as well.
    This just points out a glaring lack of standards that have, more than likely, been prevalent all along. Something many people have assumed for years. Sorry but thats my take on it ,right or wrong.

20. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Now you know most of what you pay at the pump is taxes. With the built up Kroger Discount, I bought gas for $1.21 a few days ago. The rate I am driving, this tank ought last almost three weeks, maybe longer.