Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Who here gets the virus first?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 12, 2020.

1. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There must also be some ideosycratic issue here (a huge order cancel or hedge fund dumping or some oops) also and the May contract is due tomorrow...I think.

But all the subsequent months are in the toilet too...which reaffirms nobody is buying.

My solution pump the cheap oil back into the ground. I'm sure environmentalists and greenies crying at the thought... But guess where it came from...

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Always been the case. Crude needs to be separated to use able products, blended and transported...plus taxes.

Falling because there is no demand and nowhere to store it. Airlines normally consume as does Joe 6pack in his daily driver also manufacturing. None of which are operating normally...

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They are building more salt caves as they are called as we speak. They use our pumps to pump brine down the bottom to lift the crude out. Pretty interesting process.

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My work starts temperature checks before plant entry starting tomorrow. Going to be a cluster eff for certain. I'm not getting up any earlier or arriving any earlier than a typical day. Going to have both lanes of the main road tied up and unknowing travelers tied up at no fault of their own.

Also handing out face masks. One per employee, per week, while supplies last.

Can guarantee I won't be purchasing my own at my expense, especially with the gouging going on.

Maybe I'll be finding myself out of a job here shortly as well. They're being reactive rather than proactive. Ran out of hand towels and sanitizer today.

ash d likes this.
  5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Brother, you and I seem very similar in our mindframes. I've been dealing with this chaos for a month in a work environment.

Suggestion. Get a cup of coffee. Turn on your, IDGAF mind, and roll with the punches. Either you do that or you will drive yourself mad, like I did dealing with the stupidity.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Up to 27 current cases, new cases slowly keeping ahead of recoveries. With 6 hospitalized and 14 pending, those number continue to remain fairly low.

FB_IMG_1587421315742.jpg

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm rolling lol, just finding it frustrating at times. Little back story.

We are a small business, less than 300 employees for sure, not sure of exact number, but the owners are on premisis daily. Shortly after our governor closed schools and bars, restaraunts and then non essential businesses(I can't remember the order they transpired, seems like months ago :lol: ) the plant manage came by and we talked about it. I was taking it somewhat serious, after watching the Rogan/Osterholm clip, but he said "Ehh, all we need is for the humidity to pick up, I think they're over reacting. It's just the flu."

About an hour later one of the owners came by, he brought it up, stating how our layout is pretty good to follow social distancing, machines were 15-20 feet apart. Stated similar thoughts as the plant manager about just needing some heat and it's not any worse than the flu if you don't have the preexisting conditions. Then he said one of their family friends was one of George H. Bush's Dr's when he was in the white house. Said they talked to him/her and was told that you should just go about it as if you were avoiding the flu.

None of them were taking it seriously, while at the time I was.

Now nesrly a month later I'm starting to question things while they are starting to go the opposite way and taking it even more serious now when they should have been doing these practices back then.

I sit at home when not working. I'll get out to the woods a time or two for mushrooms. I'll got to the store when needed, maskless and gloveless. Pretty much I'm going about it similar to how I did H1N1, but using a little caution. With H1N1 I didn't care about it, didn't change one thing I did on a daily basis and never contracted it.

Just frustrated now that I'm ready to get back to normal life, which isn't much different from now :lol: , I'm being forced into compliance by my workplace.

I just have to laugh.

8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Really liked this quote from Dr. Fauci.

“Unless we get the virus under control, the real recovery economically is not going to happen. So what you do if you jump the gun and go into a situation where you have a big spike? You're gonna set yourself back. As painful as it is ... it's going to backfire."

It’s so hard to manage something like this. I understand wanting people getting back to work, but then you have scenarios like we had here in MN where a pig processing plant closed because 40+ people got infected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

But replacing the .... with the rest of his quote would change things just a bit.

Not saying you added the .... but there's a bit more to it than just.... it's going to backfire.

11. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

That ain't nothing. A plant in S. Dakota has 250 last I saw. That is half of all cases in SD as of a couple days ago

MnHunterr likes this.
  12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You edited in the second part when I quoted it, wasn't there initially.

To that point, I'll ask, does the workplaces who are/were declared essential and allowed to remain open, not forced to, not accountable for implementing safety precautions?

Most of these factories we're hearing about are meat processing plants. Not sure if you have ever worked in one or not but I have. Was called Excell amd then Cargill(forget current name) here in IL it has also had a run of cases recently.

When I worked there, I wss onnthe loin line. Cut out the blade bone and removed what the called nineties, golfball to tennis ball sized chunk or meat that was 90% lean.

Stood shoulder to shoulder damm near, and 3 feet onnthe other side of the conveyor the very same thing for trimming the other end of the loins. Thousands of workers throughout the plant in a similar fashion.

A lot of the workers were illegal immigrants who lived anywhere from 5-12 deep in 3 bedroom homes throughout the town of Beardstown where the plant is. I called it little Mexico and once crime started spiking I bailed and took a lesser job.

The environment in those plants are not social distancing condusive on their own. It takes management to change that and adhere to the guidlines.

Sad to say, but lay off 50% of the workforce while keeping the other half intact and reduce the throughput by half.

Instead they kept the entire workforce intact and now we are seeing such instances.

Can't blame Trump for everything and I'm not saying that you were. Governors could have mandated workforce numbers and social distancing guidelines just the same.

Something of this magnitude is going to have failures along the way and this clearly was one that was not thought out by anyone.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Where I work we are essential, we have 2 employees who go thru the building 4 times a day wiping down common surfaces and door knobs. Of course I call them the knob buffers. We also have 2 people that takes everybody's temperature when they arrive to work. We do have offices and work stations so there is separation, we have not even had flue illness days either.

oldnotdead likes this.
  14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So what's everyone think about the study in LA county that shows asymptomatic or even mild symptom cases is far greater than confirmed caseload?

If that were to be the case, and say it extrapolated across the US as a whole, that is a big deal.

Little early to state one way or another, but seeing these reports one could almost understand the unrest going on.

And to be clear, I was not at the protest at the state capitol here yesterday, but learned today a coworker was

15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We have a couple people that walk around with electric backpack sprayers and spray doorways, railing, vending machines and other commonly touched areas.

Have all the entry doors propped open for handless entry/exit, all trainees are janitors now with spray bottles doing similar.

Starting tomorrow the temp checks start and supposedly they got in a 55 gallon drum of hand sanitizer today, $1600, to put a bottle at each work station.

I've seen my raise disappear already this year.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    11 Cub grocery stores in the Twin Cities metro area are going back to 24 hour and hiring 1000 full and part time employees.

oldnotdead likes this.
  17. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Screenshot_20200420-165928_Instagram.jpg

arrowflinger1, cls74 and Sota like this.
  18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So far I am safe, coworker showed me a pic from his phone that he took from pausing local news on the TV.

If it's that communicable then we are all screwed regardless :lol:

Okiebob likes this.
  19. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think we're all screwed regardless already. I mean I get it, people want/need to work. We need to protect our at risk folks ect.. this is the ultimate damned if you do, damned if you don't.

cls74 and dprsdhunter like this.
  20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm leaving for work 5 minutes later than normal tomorrow morning. The more I think about it, goes up with beer intake, I have to wonder back on the "asymptomatic" aspect.

What good does any of the prescreen criteria do? Tomorrow I'll have to answer "no to all" or yes to a series of questions.

Have I had a fever of 100.4 or more in the past 3 days(72 hours)?

Do I have a newly developed or prolonged cough?

Have I lost the sense of taste or smell in any of the previous 4 days(48 hours)?

And one other I forget.

If I answer yes, sent home and HR will follow up on when/how to return to work.

If I answer no, I get a contactless temperature read and sent on my way to park my vehicle and go to work.

All entrances but one are blocked off to enter the plant. So 200 people are then tracked through the same area.