Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Who here gets the virus first?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 12, 2020.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Its all for votes...nothing more

MnHunterr and DeadeyeDick like this.
  2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I’m quoting myself because I’m glad that the post didn’t start a BHOD political war. Didn’t ruffle any feathers!

This is why I love this forum. Everyone can post their thoughts and opinions without getting ruthlessly attacked. Almost every social platform you go to is that way these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Most of the time I laugh, but this could cost someone their life.

4. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One of the main reasons I like this site and it's my only social media these days. Well Instagram, but not the same. I disagree with folks here sometimes, but I dont lose it. Just think a little. Isn't that what you're supposed to do?
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Swamp Stalker and Okiebob like this.
  5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Eh, it's no different than Obama defending Ferguson protesters or Rawlings with the Baltimore protesters. I tend to call them rioters as protests are generally peaceful.

Regardless or what is said, or not said, fools are going to do what fools are going to do. If Trump condemned them it would not change anything, if Obama condemned them it would not have changed anything.

The more news stories that come out stating that the true rate of infection may be higher than even known, which would mean the death rate is even lower than first thought people are going to grow wary.

I go back and forth on it myself, but I'm not going to go out and protest an empty building.

I've said elsewhere that in 5 years we'll look back on this as the time we were all duped into shutting society down. Then when the next one comes along we'll be comparing it to the big scare of the Wuhan Virus and it's not as bad as the flu.

I still do my part, but as I've been stating for awhile now the numbers from the get go were way off and I think the new 60k number is still way too high, especially if you could truly filter the cause of death to virus specific and not "if they had it, it caused it regardless of other symptoms, or even if suspected to have had it".

jonderrs7 likes this.
  6. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    yes, the classic "what about" my over and under was 2 posts on how long it took for a "what about" to show up. You nailed it!!!! Well done.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

And just as I thought, Sinatra "parrots" out how I walked into his trap.

I knew it was going to happen.

He did it his way :lol:

oldnotdead likes this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am at the point where I don't give a crap about who said what, when did we know, who's fault it is that nobody at any level was even remotely ready, sick of the media hysteria, shaking my head at idiot protestors. I just want to know when it will be time to test reopening, if a person or a group or neighborhood, county, state can see the goal posts we are a lot more tolerant of the wait, more willing to grind it out.

Walz in Minnesota started out doing a very good job, until he said I will reopen when we can test 5,000 people a day, 2 hours later Mayo clinic came out and said we can test more that 5,000 per day then he pivoted and skipped today's briefing.

I am a big believer in states rights with that I also believe in the highly taxed state of Minnesota that there is a preparedness level expected with the high price tag of living here, this was not the case so what does a state do? Blame Washington, many states have resorted to that. They pop off to the media that the President can not tell us what to do in our state yet they ask for what they do not have. No constitutional academic but just like any relationship for every thing a higher powered entity "gives" you, you pay for in freedom and liberty the government gives you nothing for free.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    greatwhitehunter3 and oldnotdead like this.
  9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm willing to bet when all is said and done we could have kept most things open to begin with.

Polly Want a Cracker's coveted Dr. Osterholm got it wrong as well.

My guess when all is said and done, is vaccinations will have played a large part on controlling the spread in the US. Doesn't help the elderly and immune compromised per normal influenza seasons, but won't be anywhere near what was first thought.

I'd be willing to bet reimergence isn't likely either.

Time will tell, this thread isn't closing anytime soon, as long as we stay civil :lol:

It will end up being more political in hindsight, but hindsight is still 12 months out.

oldnotdead and dprsdhunter like this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will be on a flight to New Mexico within 6 weeks, my first business travel since the virus hit.

11. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Germ
    I'll agree n that he should just stay off twitter. He ,I believe, when tired might as well be drunk in the lack of verbal inabitions. That said, I understand exactly why he thinks this. He sees what others do in the sliding Domocrat initiative. He also may have a lot more info than anyone else so alarms are probably going off.
    I am fed up to my ears having to read your " Month of doing nothing " narrative. BS period.
    One more thing, Had the power hungry Michigan Gov. Not started this whole thing off ,,being not only a Democrat but typical power hungry woman a " movement " would not have happened. .

12. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if 5-10 years from now we will be likened to Holocaust deniers for mentioning that. Or if it will be common knowledge that the number was inflated for political reasons. Fun stuff to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I manage the fitness center for the university.

14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Similar to my response but your is more mild. I would rather be furloughed.

15. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    That is actually the policy. Same temperature and health check process to actually enter the hospital as an employee or potential patient. All of this over-glorified babysitting is taking place at a middle school a few blocks from the campus.

16. axtell343

Dislikes Received:
    Yikes bro, what age group are you dealing with roughly?

17. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What did Trump's task force do for a month? This has to do with Trump and not anyone else. besides, tell us it's all under control.

Jan. 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.” — Trump This was a LIE
    Jan. 30: “We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five — and those people are all recuperating successfully. But we’re working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it’s going to have a very good ending for us … that I can assure you.” — Trump in a speech in Michigan.
    Feb. 10: “Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. We have 12 cases — 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape now.” — Trump It's April
    Feb. 14: “There’s a theory that, in April, when it gets warm — historically, that has been able to kill the virus. So we don’t know yet; we’re not sure yet. But that’s around the corner.” — Trump in speaking to National Border Patrol Council members.

Feb. 23: “We have it very much under control in this country.” — Trump in speaking to reporters. We did not

Feb. 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!” — Trump in a tweet.

Feb. 26: “So we’re at the low level. As they get better, we take them off the list, so that we’re going to be pretty soon at only five people. And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time. So we’ve had very good luck.” — Trump at a White House briefing.

Feb. 26: “And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.” — Trump at a press conference.

Feb. 26: “I think every aspect of our society should be prepared. I don’t think it’s going to come to that, especially with the fact that we’re going down, not up. We’re going very substantially down, not up.” — Trump at a press conference, when asked if “U.S. schools should be preparing for a coronavirus spreading.”

Feb. 27: “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” — Trump at a White House meeting with African American leaders.

Feb. 29: “And I’ve gotten to know these professionals. They’re incredible. And everything is under control. I mean, they’re very, very cool. They’ve done it, and they’ve done it well. Everything is really under control.” — Trump in a speech at the CPAC conference outside Washington, D.C.

March 4: “[W]e have a very small number of people in this country [infected]. We have a big country. The biggest impact we had was when we took the 40-plus people [from a cruise ship]. … We brought them back. We immediately quarantined them. But you add that to the numbers. But if you don’t add that to the numbers, we’re talking about very small numbers in the United States.” — Trump at a White House meeting with airline CEOs.

March 4: “Well, I think the 3.4% is really a false number.” — Trump in an interview on Fox News, referring to the percentage of diagnosed COVID-19 patients worldwide who had died, as reported by the World Health Organization. (See our item “Trump and the Coronavirus Death Rate.”)

March 7: “No, I’m not concerned at all. No, we’ve done a great job with it.” — Trump, when asked by reporters if he was concerned about the arrival of the coronavirus in the Washington, D.C., area.

March 9: “So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!” — Trump in a tweet.

March 10: “And we’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.” — Trump after meeting with Republican senators.

This is not fake news, just his words.

Over 15 million have lost their jobs
    Over 37,000 Dead
    Will go over 2 trillion in debt this year

Yep, it was all under control.

As for Gov of Michigan, I have a more than a few criticisms for her also, one thing that makes me happy is Michigan joined up with Ohio, so at least will have one smart person in the room, DeWine

18. axtell343

Dislikes Received:
    We (by this I mean what the public knew) didn’t know how bad it was up until the first week of March. That’s when fauci and all the other doctors changed their tune.

Trumps tweets reflect the situation as he and his advisors understood it. Obviously, the situation changed, and he was wrong. I’m not sure what he should have done differently given the info he had (or atleast, publicly had) at the time.

Honest question, what would you have wanted trump to do differently in February? Take emergency powers or something?

oldnotdead likes this.
  19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    37000 dead? In Chicago this past weekend via gang violence? From obesity? From Diabetes from getting hundreds of dollars for food stamps and buying all candy and Sota? But I digress.
    37000 while a big number isn't shut down the economy big, that was done to try to destroy Trump's chance in Nov. It's all very serious But let's all try to look through the smoke at whom is holding the gun.

oldnotdead likes this.
  20. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    People just want to tailor the story to suit their narriative. Where was the outrage when the flu killed between 40 and 60,000 during the 2014-15 flu season. No politicians or media faking outrage that people were dying. The fact that this is an election year certainly has made the "news" more unbearable than usual. My county has had one death attributed to CV so far.

Stay safe and healthy, better times are ahead.

ash d likes this.