Who here gets the virus first?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 12, 2020.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because Canadians care more about border security than the US politicians. Think about that, Canadian government is more concerned with sick Americans crossing the border than American politicians are with illegal immigrants crossing the southern border.

We haven't been to my parents house since Christmas 2019, probably won't be until all of this is over. An American coming up for vacation is basically put on house arrest for two weeks, even if you have a negative COVID test 72 hours before crossing. When we met my parents in Montana at the beginning of the month, they had to have a COVID test 72 hours before going home and they are both vaccinated. The only reason they can cross at all is because they are dual citizens.

Sota likes this.
  2. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The # of deaths post vaccine doubled this last week...CDC is having to back peddle to explain.
    Jumped from 6079 to 12313....

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    not going to check the site myself, but last night Tucker said the CDC is claiming that the jump was due to an "accidental" inclusion of world-wide numbers rather than just US numbers.

4. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Law abiding citizens on either side of the Northern border?

cantexian likes this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So you are saying the people coming from the south are just the kind of people this country needs more of.

6. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would venture to say more like Canada is a no BS sort of country and since Canadian immigrants aren't really "flocking this way" we (the US) is just letting them make the decisions with regard to that border.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Canada a no BS sort of country?:lmao2:

8. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Don't put words in my mouth. That ain't what I said or meant.

There is nothing wrong with people wanting to immigrate to the US. But as we are a nation ruled by law, anyone who wishes to come, needs to follow that rule of law.

Sota, cantexian and Germ like this.
  9. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I realize you are getting ready for your CNN job and all logic must leave your system to do so, but if anyone has to ask this question, well they should go work at CNN.

To the north, we have Canada, where people have a good standard of living and in general not trying to come to America for a job or health care. While they have drug cartels like every nation, they don't have them like Mexico where they are basically running the country. Cartels have the means to build tunnels, airplanes, and even subs to get their drugs across the border.

While Mexico's standard of living is poor, to the south of them it's even worse, to the north of Canada is ice and polar bears.
    Also, American companies in the south and farmers are looking for cheap labor, that's in Mexico.

Canada is part of the G7 and every country to the south of our border is not.

Now let's look at cost of living

upload_2021-7-22_9-39-22.png
    Incomes:
    Canada’s 2019 gross domestic product (GDP) was $1.73 trillion, while the United States reported a GDP of $21.4 trillion.1 While the U.S. is a much larger superpower in terms of the economy, the incomes of citizens are much more closely aligned. The U.S. Census Bureau reports the median income for U.S. families at $68,703.2 In Canada, the median income for 2019 was $62,900.3

We could go into taxes, education, and healthcare, USA we spend the most on healthcare, but the key is in both countries citizens have access to healthcare. We do have an issue with Canadians coming across the border to get elective surgeries.

To sum up, we have drug cartels, people living below poverty, and want to escape to our south. To the north, we have a pretty nice place to live, and compares to the standards we live here in the USA.

Build a giant wall, arm it to the teeth and drugs will still flow here, too much money is at stake. People will still try and come here, I still believe this is where Trump had the most success. Mainly because he enforced the current laws and this is where Biden fails. Enforcing the law would help, but do the economics and standard of living to our south the border to the south will be more difficult to secure than the one to our North, for simple logic reasons, even a person working at CNN could understand.

dnoodles likes this.
  10. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What is funny is the after-vaccinated deaths are handled like covid deaths that folks bitched about.

Got Covid and you died, well you died of Covid.

Get Vaccinated and you die after, well you died because of the vaccine.

good lord

cantexian and Justin like this.
  11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just because you apply emotion to every subject do not assume that everyone else does. I pointed out the vastness of the northern boarder and it is logistically possible to effectively shut the border. We are told the much shorter souther border is impossible to control or shut. That is all.

12. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Emotion? Those are just statics and facts and the vastness of the northern border does not matter, it's the standard of living that matters. All kidding aside here sota I know you understand this simple logical reason.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The problem is the people who do not want the southern border to be secure, it is a choice.

14. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have three solutions I would enact that would be a serious dent in it.

1. If your a company caught with an illegal worker I would make the fine so damn big you would not want to risk it.
    2.No more if your born here you are a citizen, if your parents are illegally here, you all go back
    3. I would legalize drugs, have at it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    cantexian and Sota like this.
  15. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Why The Media Is to Blame for Literally Everything, Covid Edition:

Screenshot_20210722-101226_Messages~2.jpg

This is what my iPhone news feed looks like right now.

Hotrod9 and Sota like this.
  16. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    did I just step into an alternate dimension?

17. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How many variants are there now? How many new vaccines does everyone need to get? Can't remember the last time I looked at a national, or even local news site/station.

18. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Considering that Great Lakes and Rocky Mountains both comprise larges lengths of the border, a shut down could be done. But, it is unnecessary because both countries have similar standards of living.

19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Do these figures account for exchange rate? I have many friends that I grew up with that cannot afford a home due to the Canadian dollar being weaker most of the time. I am 38 and am still in my first home that I purchased for $152K, probably worth $185K+ in the current housing market. My friends in Canada would be looking at paying $700K plus in Canadian dollars for a similar home. Many of them are still renting because it takes 10+ years to save up a down payment wheras my wife and I saved up our down payment in 1 year.

My parents were down here at the beginning of the month. It was $1.24 Canadian to equal $1.00 US exchange rate. While very similar, an economic comparison between Canada and the US is not accurate without examining exchange rate.

20. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I notice he didn't have beer listed for comparison.

When my parents went to Alaska back in the mid/late 80's they bought a truck camper. My dad had several offers to buy the camper at more than what he paid new for it.