Who has put out minerals already?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by MD hunter, Apr 2, 2012.

1. MD hunter

MD hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i plan on putting them out within the next month

2. rockinchair

rockinchair Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just freshened our sites today! The warmer weather has a lot plant species here green, and thus means it's time to put out the minerals.

3. sharpbroadheads

sharpbroadheads Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    not quite yet...Ill put some out as soon as i quit getting pics of bucks with antlers!:confused:

4. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Year round here ! I freshen every 6 weeks :deer:

5. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started using minerals year round a few years ago. During the winter whitetails are in survival mode. If they are lacking anything they will use what they need from any part of their body. If they are lacking minerals they will steal from their skeletal system to get what they need. When most people put minerals out in the spring the first thing a whitetail will do is replace what was used up during the winter. I make sure that the whitetails on my lease have every thing they need all winter, so when they start growing antlers they dont have to replace anything and more can go upstairs!

6. gutone4me

Dislikes Received:

You may want to check the salt content on Lucky Buck I believe it is 64% and has 0% Phosphorus. A product can have
    all the Calcuim in the world but without Phosphorus it doesn't help the bucks at all. :deer:

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can't have mineral sites. :mad:

8. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm heading out the weekend of 4/13 to put mine out.

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Started 2 new sites and freshened one in the last month. Going to start a couple more in a couple weeks.

Good thing we picked up 40 bags of Monster Raxx last week!

10. Chris_hood1

Chris_hood1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Does anybody know what to by from the local feed store to make your own?

11. Evilstuff

Evilstuff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hopping to head out Friday to create a new site at one hunting ground and maybe hit the other place in a week or so.

12. sharpbroadheads

sharpbroadheads Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Umm...I'm not sure what you are trying to do here, but that post wasnt even in this thread and has nothing to do with this one...but since you brought it up, it sounds like you read the words lucky buck and decided to bash them without reading what I actually said. :hater: I did not say that calcium was the magic ingredient. I also did not claim that lucky buck had less than 50% salt. I know what is in it. I simply said I have used it and 30-06 with good results. I also said that I usually make my own now. As far as phosphorus, yes it is beneficial, but the claim that without it calcium wont help the bucks at all simply isnt true. Phosphorus is a catalyst... It helps the body utilize carbohydrates and fats and breaking down protein for the growth of cells and tissues, most notably bones (and antlers). It is also used in the production of ATP, a molecule the body uses to store energy. Its basicly like lime you put on your food plots....It helps the plant utilize the nutrients in the soil better....So yes it is important, but there are lots of other minerals that are also important, I use phosphorus in my mix, but I also use selenium, manganese, Iron, potassium, calcium, sulphur, copper, magnesium, iron, and zinc....without the phosphorus it would still be a good mix, it just wouldnt have the added benefit of phosphorus. personally i think the selenium does just as much good as phosphorus. It just sounds to me like you are slightly biased to a particular brand. I'm not arguing whether monsterraxx is a great mineral or not, as I said I have not used it, and I dont form opinions on something unless I have actually used it myself. Looking at the info I could find on it, the mix looks better than most of the ones out there. But if you are all about phosphorus, there are several brands that have more.....monsterraxx is listed as having 6.5%...Record Rack has 8%, Wildgame Innovations Honey Hole also has 8%......im not affiliated with anyone, but i do my research and form unbiased opinions based on results, not whose name is on the bag. not trying to start a war here, but you should not bash other products so easily and not assume people are ignorant.:rant:

13. gutone4me

Dislikes Received:
    Great information there. Nice post !