Who has made the change to a rock climbing harness???????

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by thirdhandman, May 4, 2014.

1. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still 7 years away from that milestone, lol...and while I wouldn't pull myself up by reaching behind my back... I have hung from mine before to make sure id be able to shimmy back up into the stand incase of a fall.

Like I said it seems like a good idea and if I was buying new I'd consider it... But I don't see the benefit for me personally to go buy another harness yet. Maybe in 10 years when I'm too fat for my current harness. lol

2. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tembry: I LIKE that it hooks from between my shoulders. I would never hang for hours anyway with either harness, I would pull myself back up as soon as I initially fell. : This is from your original post. "
    At 23 you are probably as strong as you will ever be. You have your whole life ahead of you. Just for chits and giggles. Try hanging from it and pull yourself back up 1' without using your feet. Just pull yourself back up.
    That is also assuming that if you fall you stay conscious. What happens if you fall and get knocked out. How about someone who doesn't know that they have low blood pressure and black out causing a fall.
    Expect the best, but plan for the worst my friend.

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep no arguments from me. It's a good idea. It'll be a month til I'm back in Kentucky to give it a try, but out of curiosity I'll try to do a rope climb with it attached to my back. Doubt I could without the use of my legs. I feel safe w my current setup but could see switching over in the future.

4. thirdhandman

Dislikes Received:
    The cheaper ones to me are better. They are made just as safe but with less padding to sit on. The padding is only used while hanging from a fall but sat on all day. The wide straps are fine. Extra gear loops are on the more expensive ones but they get in the way and make noise when touching metal treestands. JMO

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been monitoring this thread. I am sure any harness will work. I have two comments about the video. First, I am not sure he ever really simulated a fall? Sure would have like to see him fall off hands free or with something in his hands. Two, what if that rope is rapped around you the other way when you make that same fall. That is going to be nasty from my perspective. To me the rope is in the way and does restrict movement. I don't want to even know it is there.

In the end I would have to try it and I am certainly not going to spend money on a rock climbing harness as I don't have a need for that here in Kansas. Flat lander! :p

6. thirdhandman

Dislikes Received:
    Heckler: Part of the point was that the rope is always in a position to reach during and after the fall. The other part was to watch the maneuvers and think about how it would be different being attached from behind.
    The only way to know is to try it. Those who have actually tried it and compared side by side changed as soon as they could afford $50.

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kept getting distracted by how squeaky his stand was.
    All in all I'm Intrigued and after dropping almost a hundred bucks on an HH last year and having the front chest buckle break halfway thru the season just thru normal usage, I'm open to change. Curious as to how it works on the climb up and down.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here is how I use my RCH.

Climbing and installing sticks I use it like a traditional linemen harness so I can be hands free leaning back.
    When I reach the top I tie onto the trees a high as I can reach before I install my stand....basically am sitting comfortable in the harness when I am putting the stand up.

I then just stay tied in and step onto the stand.
    At this point I tie in at about mid chest high, so I have enough slack to sit down and also shoot 360..

Now going up and down a prehung stand is a different story.
    If I have a life line I tie into the lifeline for the ascent and descent.
    With no life line I would like to tell you that I always climb tied onto linesmen style...however I am being honest and I often don't out of laziness.

Good locking carabiners are a must...

9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just pulled out my RCH tonight, I forgot how comfortable it was. I will be giving it a try this season coming up. I will get alittle practice using it while I hang my stands for this year.

10. Faster

Faster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    All I use is a simple climbing harness, the only negative is having a carribeaner and strap in my lap.

11. thirdhandman

Dislikes Received:
    For the benefit of all who might be thinking about switching. 6" of rope and a carabiner on the lap can be looked at 2 different ways. Its always in the way or it's always available to grab if necessary. When wearing it to save a life, in front makes more sense to me.
    Wearing it in the back is out of the way while sitting but also out of the way when falling. Wearing it in the back can be a real pain when trying to shoot behind the tree. JMO

12. thirdhandman

Dislikes Received:
  13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol he looks really distressed ..

14. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bringing this one back to the top because I finally made the switch. Now I need to know everything else that goes along with it. Products, youtube videos of setup, knots, etc.

15. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you did good read :thewave:

16. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  17. giant

giant Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ya thats al good and fine but im going to stick with a full body with the tether ... brather hang like a puppet then snap my back if i fall .. 2 each thier owen

18. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't tree stand hunt. But I have done A LOT of rock climbing in my early 20s. That's a good idea to use one. If taken a 30 foot tall on a rock climbing harness. Of course rock climbing ropes have quite a bit of stretch in them. That is why you don't suspension trama.

19. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Figure 8 knot and a quick release locking carabiner and you will be good.

20. Junior93

Junior93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have rock wall climbed a fair amount, and have my fall training for work in a full body harness. Even after doing both somehow the lightbulb had never turned on. Thank you for this idea because having simulated falls in a full containment, and actually falling while climbing, I know what option I'd rather be in when alone up in a tree and miles away from help!