Who has a Roku and what can you tell me about it?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Aaron, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm thinking about ditching satellite as we don't watch a lot of tv anyway... Roku seems pretty nice as we can pick what we want/don't want... But I don't know much more about it than that... Does anyone have it?

Is it still possible to stream live sports and such through it? How much do the channels generally cost? I know Hulu and Netflix are $8/month.

Someone give me the scoop...good and/or bad.

2. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    there are alot of nice free apps some are paid but fairly cheap so prob between basic local channels and a roku you can keep entertained I got one last year and love it we still have cable though it wasnt worth dropping it by the time we pay to keep our high speed internet it was cheaper to keep basic cable w the internet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Roku and do exactly what you speak of for about two years now. We have Netflix for $8/month. We had to put up an antenna to get the local channels. Roku will not really stream any live sports for you. You can get ESPN and other sports channels if you get an XBox and get Xbox Live (~$6/month I believe). But then the Xbox can do pretty much everything the Roku can except I hear the Roku organizes things better. We not not pay for any other channels through our Roku. Most are free. Some you have to pay a small fee for. If Sports are a big concern then I would look into the XBox one. The other thing that is nice is Amazon Prime. They have pretty much every show/money available out there right away. That costs about $75/year but you also get unlimited free two day shipping off Amazon for the entire year. Or, you can just piece meal and buy per show/movie what you want off Amazon Prime.

Let me know what other info you need.