Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Who has a GoPro? Info appreciated.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Apr 22, 2015.

1. I8myTarget

I8myTarget Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have it uploading. It could be a while. I even did a slow motion shot at the end so you can see why I like the 60fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. I8myTarget

Dislikes Received:
    [video=youtube_share;VFwY6Sx-JOw]http://youtu.be/VFwY6Sx-JOw[/video]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Bucko, looks like you got a lot of good info! Just curious more about your competition, give us a run down of some of the things you guys have on the list!!

4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for taking the time to do this. Really showed the difference. My concern after watching this would be at the narrow setting... You couldn't really see your Morrell bag at all from the shrunken field of view.

Do you think that is from the narrow view cropping it down so much or the camera a little out of adjustment?

The list hasn't been finalized yet as we have yet to all meet up together on it. Just stuff you could see from stand or your walk to and from stand.

We have talked about a large list and making everything worth one point each or a list and assigning different things different points. I am more for the one point each, as I think it would be difficult to try to get a bunch of guys to agree on assigning points to different things.

5. I8myTarget

Dislikes Received:
    The camera cropping the target out is entirely my fault. The camera is just clipped to the brim of my hat and I have the hat marked close to where it needs to be most of the time. But every time the camera is turned just a little of my hat is pulled lower or from one side to the other the camera also changes what it is looking at. If you want to record a hunt with a shooter and a camera man. You probably would like to have a regular recorder. If you want to go solo and have a first person angle, remotely turn on a camera on your decoy, or have a camera that much much smaller and tougher then the gopro is the answer. I have a Sony handicam also and it is fine but it has its faults. You have to have a tripod and run the camera then stop and run the bow and this and that and it works but it takes some shuffling. I bought a gopro and now do not use the handicam at all. It's lighter, it easier to use, takes a better picture, can run on my bow, hat, head, chest, tree stand, decoy, basically anything and I can not worry about it getting messed up in the rain. A good camera has its place and will take much better footage no lying about that. But I firmly believe the gopro is a good investment

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Gopro is exactly what I am looking for. I am not a video hunts kid of guy. I bought this to partake in this contest we have going and also to just have fun messing around. I am not concerned with getting a shot recorded on it. Great if it happens, no big deal if it doesn't.

Have you ever tried the head strap holder? I have a buddy with one of them and he talked it up last fall as great for on stand.

7. I8myTarget

Dislikes Received:
    I have one but have never used it. I will give it a try.

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Scotty, you may already know this but you can run the go pro app on your phone and see what the camera is seeing. I actually used mine as a baby monitor at times. Put the camera in the kid's room and watch it from my phone and control it. What I was getting at is you can set it up on your hat or the tree or whatever and see what it sees.

9. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Used mine this morning on the youth turkey hunt I filmed, unfortunately I had no Gopro footage of the birds due to an error on my part but I love my setup and am planning on using it again and actually getting footage next time!
    Checkout the homemade Gopro sized SticknPic lol
    uploadfromtaptalk1430003729364.jpg

10. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go Pros in general aren't that great in low light but the black housing doesn't affect it. And the head strap works well on shots. I used it last year, you just have to put it kind of on the side of your head so when you shoot and your head its turned a little the camera is still straight. I like the chest mount too for getting cool shots walking in and climbing the stand

11. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This evening my buddy Frank had his gopro case with all his gopro, memory cards, batteries etc etc blow out of his boat and lost everything. Sucks but he should have known better. It's not the first thing he has lost flying across the lake at 70mph in his bass boat.

Having said that and trying to learn from others mistakes I just ordered a SKB case, mil-spec water proof and shock resistant. This stuff costs to much to take chances.

I think I got everything taken care of but the camo skin. Picked up the case above, a 64 gig memory card, an extra battery, a double battery charger, head strap, extra skeleton case that isn't water proof for sound and a tripod adapter.

Do you guys think the two batteries will be enough? They are both the new lithium poly ion versions. Research says at 1080p 60 frames per second yields about 100 minutes of video per battery.

Does that seem inline with your observations? Will the battery life be better at 30 frames per second? If so any idea how much?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  12. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Scott, I haven't seen a huge difference in the battery life between the 30 and 60 frames but it's hard to say because I've never really calculated how much "standby" time is going. Two batteries should be good, if all else fails just plug it into a power bang and let it go without having any worries.

My gropro case floats :D

13. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The kick in the balls for him was he had a floaty on his camera case, but it was inside the bag. To much water filled the bag and took it all to the bottom.