Who else is getting ready?!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by TEmbry, Jan 25, 2014.

1. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    March 15 can't get here soon enough! Anyone else already getting out the gear and calls getting ready for spring? Last spring I was fortunate enough to call in and watch 11 birds fall. 3 to me, 8 for others. Turkey hunting is unmatched in my mind.

I've already bought AL and KY tags, so I have 5 toms out there walking around dead, they just don't even know it yet.

This year I plan to hunt AL opening weekend from the DB blind with a Dakota jake decoy and a few AvianX hens to boot. Hoping to double up on some old toms in a spot that is like clockwork for producing birds (pinch point between an hour glass shaped greenfield). I'll probably switch back to the benelli and run/gun from there for the following weekend or two until I head up for KY opener in April.

I've told my friends to get ready. I quit my second job that was every other weekend to have a free spring schedule. My goal is to call in 20 toms to their death, and I only have 5 tags even if I filled all of mine. Let the games begin.

2. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    March 15?? Geeze! We don't start until April 21st here. Can't wait though, picked up some new decoys at the end of last spring and I am excited to use them.

3. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is actually the first time in awhile I'm looking forward to turkey hunting. Somewhere around March 22nd in GA, then around April 14th for NC. I need to re stock my turkey gear...

4. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm getting ready, I'm hoping to put down my first turkey this Spring. :tu:

Sent from my iPhone

5. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm getting ready. Still have deer hunting in Alabama,so I'm still in deer mode. But we recently moved close to some large tracts of public land and I'm looking forward to hunting it for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah can't wait just filed for my turkey permits yesterday!!

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I normally couldn't give a darn about turkey hunting but we're overloaded in birds here and I have a couple friends to hunt with this spring that are into it.

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, looking to get a new pump-style call I can mount to my barrel to add to the collection, and practice my mouth calls a bit more. I didn't fire a shot last year...a first in a while.

I will be strictly run and gunning. No blinds. No decoys.

9. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The mouth calls are a little more difficult than I expected and take a little bit to get use to. I have gotten a little better though, while annoying people in the process :lol:

10. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's how I roll 90% of the time too. Easier to kill birds this way IMO. Especially if you have enough land to be out all day and catch mid day birds.

I just want one archery Tom to finally scratch that itch and ill likely never sit in a DB again for turkeys.

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you. I've only shot one bird with my bow (a hen), and that was from the stand, lol. I really want to take a nice tom with a bow, but our season is so short, and the first half is mornings only, so I have to try to capitalize while I can.

12. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah i really am just now own some good woods fpr turkey so i can actualy go. I was gonna buy a blind but is it really easier to go without one? Just seems like a better chance with blind cuz there less likley to see you but i could be wrong lol i love the mouth call but not perfect with it yet so until i master it ill be using the K&H ole yeller slate call

13. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on how comfortable you are with turkey hunting. Blinds are restrictive. You are set in one spot. For bowhunting they certainly up the odds, but for gun I find it just as easy to get a shot without the blind, and being mobile to change setups is a huge advantage.

14. scottmills

scottmills Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    been thinking bout it for 3 weeks . cant hardly wait for opening day !

15. ZXTMike

ZXTMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I drew 1st period here in Wisconsin, April 15th-23rd. Hopefully it gets above 32 degrees F before then. Has anyone seen a sign up call for the contest yet?

16. CoryTN

CoryTN Newb

Dislikes Received:
    March 29th for Tennessee and we can knock down 4 thunder chickens. Excited to say the least. I just picked up a new slate and a pack of diaphragms today!

17. CoryTN

CoryTN Newb

Dislikes Received:
    March 29th for Tennessee and we can knock down 4 thunder chickens. Excited to say the least. I just picked up a new slate and a pack of diaphragms today!

18. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This round I have entirely to much on my plate and have to sit it out for the Turkey hunts. My heart is with you all and best a' Luck with your hunts.

19. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    March 29th cant come fast enough. Going to use my blind and pop a few birds then maybe try the run and gun method for some excitement. Have yet to put a bird down with a bow. I saw about 15 birds a few weeks ago while driving to work, about 5 of them were strutting, don't know why but maybe this will be a great year. Saw a big group of them while I was squirrel hunting a few weeks ago. Some fried turkey is in the near future.

20. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My season here in MN is May 1-5. Im pumped b/c I've pretty much been teaching myself how to turkey hunt and this year will be the year!! I've got permission on a river valley loaded with turkeys.