Who does your own work on your bow?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Pearce92, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im wanting to get into doing my own work on mine and my girlfriends bow and possibly some of my buddies. how did everyone start? i was thinking about start on building arrows first and not jumping in head first and buying a bow press.

2. ksredneck

ksredneck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started by fletching mine and my buddy's arrows. Then transferred into setting up sights, rests (pronged, biscuit). I think you got the right idea.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I started with a ratchet press and replacing my bow string. I didn't start on arrows until this winter. I did this because my bow shop is 2 hrs away. I could have them cut, fletch & mail me arrows, but the bow was another story.

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I, too, started with fletching, then jumped in feet first. Bought a press, levels, a bow vice, grain scale, various small tools (hex wrench sets, lighters, serving, d-loop material, etc., etc. Start with something simple like fletching and wrapping your own arrows and go from there if you're a little hesitant to jump right in.

5. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've done most of my own work, outside of fletching arrows. I did take my bow in to have some serving replaced. I don't have a press. I'm leaning on doing my own arrows next year, but won't get into it until I get my own space and whether or not the kiddos stay interested.

6. metallic1

metallic1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i started when i needed a string change., i bought a nighthawk portable bow press
    to start with, i plan on buying a real press at some point., the nighthawk works well
    on parallel limbs, not so shure about beyond parallel., it also works well for most crossbows.
    i plan on building up my supply's for building arrows soon. i have too many with trashed vanes,
    it defiantly helps to be able to do your own work., a lot less downtime.

7. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I began with arrow building. I have plans to finally buy a bow press next year.

8. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't do major work on my bow but I installed my rest and tuned my bow. I also fletch my arrows and cut them.

9. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I want to do my arrows.

10. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I go with a pro-shop for most of my bow work...

11. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do all the work on mine and my buddies. I bought an E-Z press. What got me started was the bow shop I have went to for the past 20 years finally closed....well actually sold out. After that I took one of my bows to two different shops to try to get a string installed. Didn't work out too well. :confused: It was a rather bad experience... too much to type out...lol. After that I figured if two bow shops couldn't install a string correctly that I'd have better luck myself...and I have.

12. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do all my work, it first it was a learning curve, but now I find it quite enjoyable. Been compiling more and more tools as I go.

13. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can do all my own arrows. I have built custom sets in the past with good sucess.

As for bow work... I have my local shop do it. He doesn't charge anything and it's a fun place to hang out. However, if he does anything to my bow, I make him show me what he's doing or I help him.

I know how to do a lot, I just don't. The owner is the only person I will let touch my bow.

14. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anything outside the basics and I head to La Crosse Archery!

15. Swampstomper

Swampstomper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Started by doing my own arrows. When it got to the point where I only trusted one person to work on my bow, he wasn't always available. Got a bow press (EZ Green) and started to learn as I went. Every time I have a new problem I go to someone who knows and try to learn more. Stuff never breaks at a convenient time. Have enough stuff on hand now to keep my gear working most of the time. Just in case, I kept my old bow so I have a back-up for emergencies during hunting season.

16. Ricpac

Ricpac Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you guys use to cut your own arrows?

17. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
  18. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can get a 8000rpm Weston Arrow saw off ebay for like $124 shipped. I think it's like $15 more if you want the dust collector. Bowhunter superstore is where my buddie got his.

19. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I Started with installing my own sites and so on. then bought a press and ordered custom strings and then got to do my friends bows and now I actually own my own shop.

20. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started working on my bow to save money, but there has been a learning curve. When you are unsure of something look it up on the web, and compare it to what you were going to do. I am lucky that the pro shop near me has a tech that has been doing it for 30+ years, and anytime I have a problem I just give him a call, and he can normally fix or explain to me how to fix it. Now on the opposite side you have pro shops where the people there don't know there face from a rathole (ie the new cabela's just put up near me).