Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Whitetail special or mega meat

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Bryant martineai, Nov 3, 2023.

1. Bryant martineai

Bryant martineai Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Which broadhead of the two do u prefer the whitetail special or mega meat and any pictures of wound channels are welcome

2. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whitetail special all the way, been using them for years and they’ve never failed me. Massive wound channels. They give an amazing blood trail, it’s like walking down a red carpet with your deer at the end. They fly just like a field point for me, i used to take a few shots with the practice head they give you to confirm they were flying correctly but having done it so many times and never having a single arrow that didn’t fly exactly like a field point I don’t even test them anymore, just unscrew my field point, screw on the broadhead and go. (You should still take a few test shots with the practice head because I may just be lucky in that they fly exactly like the field point with my bow and they might not with other bows). I haven’t ever tried the mega meat but I have never fully trusted the rear deploying style of mechanical broadheads. With the front deploying style of broadhead (not sure if that is the proper terminology) like the whitetail special, the blades move in the same direction as the force that is opening it (ie the blades open by unfolding towards the back of the arrow) which makes it essentially impossible for them to enter the deer without the blades opening. With the rear deploying style (mega meat, rage, etc) the force blades have to move forward to open while the force from cutting the meat is trying to push them backwards. Essentially with the rear deploying style the force from cutting through the meat is trying to keep them closed but with the forward deploying style of broadhead that force from cutting the meat is acting in the same direction that the blades need to move to open.

Also I really like the fact that with the whitetail special you aren’t relying on fragile little plastic rings or rubber bands to keep the broadhead closed. The blades just fold up and are held there by spring tension. Before I switched to the whitetail special it seemed like there was always at least one arrow in my quiver where the little plastic breakaway collar that was supposed to hold the broadheads closed had broken while the arrow was still in the quiver and so the blades were just flopping around loose and I had to make sure to avoid that arrow until I replaced the collar.

The blades on the whitetail special also seem to have fairly strong. Don’t think I’ve ever had one completely break off. More often than not they’re still in perfect shape even after passing through both sets of ribs and such. Usually I can just give them a quick re-sharpen and put them back in the quiver. Occasionally one of the blades will get bent on the way through but they sell replacement blades and they’re really easy to replace.

Also grim reaper sells several types of whitetail special. They’ve got a Pro series, RazorTip, and Razorcut. I’ve tried all three and I strongly recommend the razortip version. All three work equally well as far as killing a deer, but the razor cut and pro series both have a long thin area where the the body of the broadhead transitions to the tip and I have found that they have a tendency to get bent in that area if the arrow hits something hard like a root or a rock after exiting the deer. On the razor tip style, that area where the tip connects to the broadhead is the same thickness as the rest of the broadhead and the tip is a bit shorter so there is less leverage on that area to bend it and I've never had one of them bend on me. Even had one where I missed the deer and the arrow flew straight into a big rock. The tip was completely flattened so the broadhead was still ruined, plus my arrow shaft shattered, but the broadhead didn’t bend where the tip connects to the body like I’ve had happen with much less severe impacts using the other two styles. I actually could’ve probably salvaged it by using a metal file to repair the flattened point but that would’ve changed the weight so I just took the undamaged blades off it to keep as spares and tossed that one in the garbage. That’s the only time that I’ve ever damaged one of the razor tip style broadheads and honestly I doubt any mechanical broadhead would survive a direct hit on a big rock.

Here is a photo of the razortip (left) vs razor cut showing the narrow area near the tip on the razorcut style:

IMG_8604.jpeg

pick00l likes this.
  3. Bryant martineai

Bryant martineai Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes that’s the style I was looking into buying the razor tip. Thanks for the info I do appreciate any opinions and suggestions