Whitetail arrow setup

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Maxwell Sargent, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Maxwell Sargent

Maxwell Sargent Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I am a complete noob when it comes to maki g my own arrows. I really want to get into it however. But right now I need a good I guess already pre fletched arrow that would be a step up from a Easton 6.5 bow hunter arrow I think that’s their entry level arrow for bow hunters. I would like to try micro diameter arrows but are there any recommendations for something not stupid expensive?

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What a loaded question. There is opinion and then the rabbit hole answer. As for opinion get a pre made dozen that matches your bow from a box store or better yet a local shop. The rabbit hole is the arrows themselves. You can go for speed. You can go for KE. Higher FOC. Or a middle of the rd all around arrow.
    Tell us what's your budget. What are you hunting. What's your end game.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

cantexian and dnoodles like this.
  3. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right now I'm using Black Eagle Rampage, I don't know what you consider stupid expensive, but they do have a .003 straightness option that's a little cheaper. As far as smaller diameter arrows, these are about all I can talk about, as these are the only smaller diameter that I have used.
    There's a lot of options on the market.

01silverado, dnoodles and Fix like this.
  4. Maxwell Sargent

Maxwell Sargent Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I understand i am opening a can of worms with this question. But how is one supposed to learn if not to ask questions. I hunt white tail deer being from northeast Tennessee. I want to get into building arrow so I want to know all opinions, the rabbit hole answer, any information on arrow building. My budget would be like 80 to 100 a half dozen.

Fix likes this.
  5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now that we know your price point, we can give better recommendations.

I don't have any experience with micro (.166) arrows and they are almost always really expensive, but small diameter (.204) has a few options, including Victory RIP and Black Eagle Rampages, I have shot and really like both. Both fly extremely true and both are tough as nails. You should be able to find the Rampages for around $160/12, I got a dozen Victory's for I think $130 in a post-season close out...

I am a heavy arrow guy, so I prefer to be up around 500 grains in total arrow weight (TAW.) TAW includes...everything- nock, fletch, shaft, insert, and head. So I have to start in the 9+ grains per inch (GPI.)

.204s are a bit limited in a heavy insert selection. I don't particularly care for Victory's 'half-out' style inserts although the 50 grain ones are included so that will save you some cash, but Easton HITs are an option and not too hard to install. I also like to use arrow footers with the HITs.

https://ethicsarchery.com/products/universal-footer-244-246-arrow-i-d-al-ss

but it's not a necessity. One nice thing about footers is it helps square the end of the shaft, making a near-perfect seat with the head.

All that stuff with a lighted nock usually gets me in the 520-530 TAW range. It really puts a hammer on deer. I shoot 70lb, 30" shafts on a bow rated at 340 IBO. I regularly shoot targets out to 90 yards. Not saying I would hunt at that range, just letting you know that a heavy arrow doesn't really negatively impact your hunting effective range, especially east of the Mississippi.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't forget to check the chart for spine and to bump if you are adding weight for increased FOC

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

dnoodles likes this.
  7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    oh yeah, and if you are on the borderline, err on the side of being 'overspined'.

Fix likes this.
  8. Maxwell Sargent

Maxwell Sargent Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have narrowed it down to either the black eagle deep impacts or the blood sport evidence. Being I am short and stubby at 26.5 draw length and 60 lbs draw weight. Now coming for someone who knows very little about arrows I don’t feel like a heavy arrow would do good out of my slow mission hamr. I am looking at upgrading my bow as well but I don’t think that the hamr will like shooting rocks out of it haha! I have a whole lot of ideas I want to try when I get my arrow making equipment though. I think missions website says the hamrs ibo is 300 at 29.5 inch draw at 70 lbs so…

9. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can limber an arrow up with point weight. That's why they said to err on the side over over-spined above.
    you can get field point test kits that have points 100g to 200g and start trial and error with tuning. Momentum is your friend at slower speeds.

dnoodles likes this.
  10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    split the difference on TAW, medium weights are more than fine for deer and the like ... I have been at 430ish grs for many years, the rest is in my signature below ... I'm somewhere around 100 deer killed with carbon arrows from 385 to the 430ish gr weights (120+ going back to the days of aluminum arrows).... now shooting 60 lbs, started out at over 70 many many many years back, now I find 60 is perfect and I can kill ANYTHING in North America at that poundage, just by changing arrow weight and BH's ...

11. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A mid weight, 400-450 grain finished arrow is perfect for whitetails. There are lots of options. Don't get too wrapped up in straightness tolerances. I'd be willing to bet most people on this forum, myself included, can never shoot well enough to know the difference between a .001 and .003 arrow.

I won't go into brands, etc as any arrow from Gold Tip, Victory, Easton, etc., are all good hunting shafts. Find one in your price range and go at it.

If there is one piece of advise I can give you. I would highly recommend staying away from the .166 diameter shafts. My reasons are simple. The components are harder to find, though it is easier now, and those components are flimsy IMO. I personally opted for .204 diameter shafts and am much happier with both inserts as well as lighted knock durability and ease of finding them.

cdcj, bhod87 and dnoodles like this.
  12. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    one other thing, dont get caught up in the heavy FOC crap, as long as your between 9-15% foc, your fine ... dont over think this ... I find my preference is 10-13% .... I'm a tad over 10% now ..

13. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really think a lot of people have lost sight of the fact that decent speed can be a tremendous benefit when hunting. I encourage most people to set a whitetail bow up to shoot from 280-290fps. You end up with reasonable pin gaps and a favorable trajectory out of 40 yards that will absolutely help people with the yardage errors that can occur when you don’t have time to split the pins perfectly.

I then encourage people to pick the right type of broadhead to get sufficient penetration depending on how much energy there set up is producing.

I’m shooting a 525gr arrow and getting about 285 out of my setup. I’m shot quite a few whitetails with this arrow set up over the past two years and have been really pleased with it.

muzzyman88 likes this.
  14. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good lord, 285 out of a 525 grain arrow. High poundage and/or orangutan arms I'd guess.
    Us t-rex's with 27.5" DL are envious. I'm using a 425 grain arrow at 65 lbs and get 272 out of it.

15. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yes, I like speed, but without excess noise of course.. most bows today are very quiet at hunting arrow weights, those weights depend on poundage ... I shoot a single pin HHA Tetra and leave it set at 25 yds for 90% of my hunts, very seldom do I move it .... with that setting, I'm good to 33yds, and hold just a tad higher at any distance over that out to 40 yds which is my max and most deer have been killed less than that thru the years ... at 287fps/432 gr arrows, I have waaay more than enough KE/MO to get the job done with any of the BH's I use at those ranges ...

16. Robby Isaacs

Robby Isaacs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I can say for sure is I switched to Day Six arrows last year and love the way they shoot. They are micro diameter with a outsert and are extremely tough. A little on the pricer side but worth it for sure.

17. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    that's pretty impressive.

[​IMG]

bhod87 and Robby Isaacs like this.
  18. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yea, but at what poundage ????? ... and what bow and draw length ..... I'm lucky to have a full 30" draw, but the high poundage days have long since passed .....

Robby Isaacs likes this.
  19. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I pull 70lbs on a V3X 33 at 30” draw. The last several years of flagship Mathews bows shoot the same arrow at about the same speed for me.

Robby Isaacs likes this.
  20. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    my shoulder said adios to 70#'s many years back .... our 30" draws sure do help compared to those with baby DL's ...