White River National Forest Elk Hunting

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Sparky 1911, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Sparky 1911

Sparky 1911 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I am planning a DIY elk bowhunt and want to go to the White River National Forest. Any advice on where to go would be greatly appreciated because I have not been there previously.

2. DarkTimber

DarkTimber Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I suggest trying to choose a unit in WR NF and then start researching from there. Elk can be found in any unit in WR NF. Any CO OTC in WR NF will have about the same stats (success and hunter numbers).

Here are some tips which may help you decide on locations to find elk for any CO OTC elk unit.

Start with the CPW Hunting Atlas. For archery season, look at Summer Concentration, Summer Range and Elk Migration Patterns. I don't hunt in the Summer Concentration. I look at the Summer Range and Elk Migration Patterns. As a starting point, pay attention to the red arrows (Elk Migration Patterns).
    http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

Also read the CPW' DAU E-## report for the the unit (elk herd). Click on the word Map under Elk to find the E-## for your unit.
    http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/HerdManagementPlans.aspx

After looking those over, use Google Earth to fly over the area to locate elk's food and shelter (bedding).

The CPW information won't help with knowing hunting pressure. Stay mobile to search for elk. Fresh sign on opening day is great, but the elk may be elsewhere by day 3.

Good luck.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The above poster is very generous with his time. Some great advice.

Google is you friend on this lots of info has been posted on the WRNF over the years...you need to nail down a unit and do so some searching.