Whisker biscuit or drop away?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by christiejc, May 7, 2011.

1. christiejc

christiejc Newb

Dislikes Received:
    :hail::hail::hail:I have heard from alot of members in the bowman club i belong to out west here in cali that alot of hunters use whisker biscuits for hunting.I have a whisker biscuit on my new martin onza 3 now and shoot just alrite.Im thinking a drop away will make me shoot better.But i had giving my bow to my uncle and told him to shoot 2 queviers of his arrows threw it.And what i found was a 2 in group at 20 30 40 and 50 for him with my bow.Im begining to thinks it operator error and not the bow.Lol a club member told me and a few other members the other day every bow shoots striaght lol just some feed back please.

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm of the drop-away camp. There are many that shoot and love the WB, but I don't like the noise it makes, or the wear on the fletchings.

3. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All I used to shoot was a whisker biscuit. Then I moved to a NAP 2000 dropaway, Muzzy Zero-effect, and currently have limb drivers on both my bows now. With that being said, I'm going back to either a whisker biscuit or a Octane Hostage or what ever full containment similar product that is on the market.

I tend to over complicate things when it comes to the equipment I use and I want to get away from that. If you're in it to hunt then you need to realize what is more practical and just leave it be.

I remember I used to get all kinds of robin hoods when I shot a biscuit. They seemed to decrease when I went to dropaways. :) Probably just me though.

4. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have used both types of rest. They both work great and have their plus and minus. What you need to do is choose which one best suits you. Meaning what type hunting are you going to do, a lot of stalking. More tree stand hunting type situations, etc

5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I still have one of the old spring loaded type rest and have no issues with it as of now. When I buy a new bow it will have a drop away. I do have some experience with a whisker biscuit as my brother has one on his bow. As far as accuracy goes my bow is more accurate but it could be I have spent more time tuning mine. His whisker biscuit tears his veins up in a short time. We both shoot the same arrows that were bought at the same time. I have shot mine probably 5 times the amount he has and mine still look almost new. His are flying horribly and need to be re-veined.
    A customer of ours swears changing from a whisker biscuit to a drop away has improved his groups from 3" @30 to 2" @30 the first group after changing over and setting up.
    I also feel it has to slow the arrow down some and after listening to other bows with a biscuit and with a drop away and I do have to say the drop away is quieter.

If you can get your hands on one for free to try out or know someone who could let you mount one of theirs to see if it makes your tighter. That way you know without being out $.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  6. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really dont see why anyone would use a WB anymore do to the full containment dropaways which you can use in any situation. Look for the Apache dropaway. Best bang for the buck at $50 TYD

7. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a WB on my bow, then I switched to the Ripcord Code Red. I like the rest pretty well, except the rope is starting to wear kind of bad.

8. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a QAD ultra HD pro I will sell you cheap! its way noisy loud! Im guna try a G5 expert pro and if I dont like that Im goin WB. I want quiet.

9. MHSfootball86

MHSfootball86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched from a WB to a ripcord code red. I had my vanes refletched a little after i got my code red as i switched rests mainly to be able to shoot an offset fletch. The only ware i get on my fletching now is when my arrows hit eachother's fletching. I now have 3 arrows that have tears in the fletching from where tips tore vanes.

The Code red is a full containment with moleskin where the arrow contacts while at rest and the short period of time while being shot and a gel like material everywhere else. Its pretty quite trying to rattle the arrow around and the arrow always falls back to where it needs to be pre-shot. I have the cord served to my cables and haven't had it long enough to get worn already.

10. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ripcord is where it's at.

I switched from a WB and don't think I'll ever go back to a WB.

11. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a WB and then I went to draw back on a nice 12 point buck and all you heard was my arrow going through the WB. He looked at me and was gone. I now own a QAD Ultra Rest and will have one of those forever. They are the best. My past two bows have had them with NO complaints.

12. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a drop away fan!

13. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Put it this way: If you're not an accurate shot with a Whisker Biscuit, you won't be an accurate shot with a dropaway. You will notice absolutely no appreciable difference, unless, of course, the placebo effect makes you "believe" that switching out your rest will make you a better shot.

Another note: Switching to a new rest will subconsciously cause you to practice more, which might help out. IMO, this is why a lot of guys think that new rests/sights "improved" their shooting. They just practice more when they get a new toy.

A new rest won't make you a better archer, despite what any company's big $$ marketing budget would have you believe.

If you don't tag a buck in 2011, it will be because you couldn't find one, not because of the rest that you chose to bolt on your bow. Don't overcomplicate things.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  14. hunt2010

hunt2010 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i also used a WB years ago and they do an excellent job for arrow containment and hitting the bullseye,once i went to the DAs i havent turned back and still look to buy a newer one this year.the WB i put on my 10yo sons bow which is perfect for him or any beginner just starting out.

15. MHSfootball86

MHSfootball86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I switched rests specifically to shoot a different fletch. I did notice an improvement in my shot, due to the amount i had to shoot to resight in and tune my bow. If i do or do not get a buck this season i am not blaming my rest.

16. rtaylor

rtaylor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Quiksilver said it best. I switched equipment out on my bow daily trying to shoot robin hoods but at the end of the it was me that wasn't accurate not my equipment.

17. Nick

Nick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    use a biscuit. More moving parts in the field are a bad idea. If it can fail, it will, eventually...

18. ngabowhunter

ngabowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    and this is the camp I'm in also:rock:

19. NCRemington700

NCRemington700 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    South Carolina... Fulton Co, IL in November
    This.

For stalking purposes the WB is great since you don't have to worry about the arrow falling off the rest. For pretty much anything else, having shot both, I prefer the drop aways.

20. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    QAD > ****

I have this one....

[​IMG]