While Sitting in the Stand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fishingdude93, Nov 7, 2012.

1. fishingdude93

fishingdude93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was sitting here reading some post about a guy having a cat sit 3ft away from him on a limb. It made me think of a cool thing that happened to me. I was sitting in my stand last year in the morning. Right as the sun came up the birds were out flying and chirping like crazy. This one little finch actually flew over and sat right on my left leg. I couldn't believe it. It was really cool though, while it just looked at me. Just wanted to hear anything that anyone else encountered similar to this one?

2. dr3wskii

dr3wskii Newb

Dislikes Received:
    had a big black bear come an rub up against the tree I was sitting in 2 years ago, she stood up and reached as high as she could sharpening her nails on the tree like a cat. Then she seen me and got curious, I finally had to yell at her to make her leave.When I was young I also went with my grandfather to some of his best friends hunting land, They have a ton of land thats fenced in. we had a big buck come and rub his horns on one of the legs of the shooting house we was in.

3. fishingdude93

fishingdude93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Having that bear come in and scratch on the tree had to be kinda scary.

4. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had numerous chickadees land on my head and shoulders...had a bobcat ruin my chance at a shot 3 nights ago when it spooked off a fawn, spike, and a doe I wanted...it came up alongside me about 8-10 yards from the tree and when I shifted to look at it, it looked right back up at me then calmly walked down the old rock wall fenceline and continued its hunting. Once watched a weasel run up the next tree over and grab a flying squirrel out of a hollow knot hole - fastest little devil I ever saw. It took him under 2 secs to go up 20 ft grab the squirrel and back down to the ground with it in his mouth...he then proceeded to start feasting right underneath me.

5. dr3wskii

dr3wskii Newb

Dislikes Received:
    oh I def had to change my boxers when I got home

6. Nateb440

Nateb440 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Had a barred owl land next tree over about 15 feet. He did the old round about head things owls do trying to figure me out. Made my hunt that morning.

7. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last year i had a Bald Eagle swooping into the trees and breaking branch's off about 30 yrds out. It would dive into the tree grab a branch and just fall until the branch snapped off. And before hitting the ground it would swoop back up and fly off to make its nest on the other side of the property. I live in a city so for me that was the most amazing thing ive ever seen in the woods. Somthing ill never forget. good topic i hope to see me amazing stories from a bunch of great guys

8. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had birds land on me, a squirrel jump on my leg, birds on my arrows or equipment, bears start up my trees, falcons, hawks dive bomb my face... interesting 34 years of bowhunting. :-)

9. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had two gray foxes come under my stand and lay in the sun for a out half an hour last year. Got some footage of them. Very cool.

10. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a little fork buck clank his horns on the legs of the ladder stand that we double hunt out of. It was weird, I was halfway tempted to drop a tipless arrow or spray some water out of my canteen on him. He was directly under me for what seemed like hours.

11. Deep6

Deep6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a hummingbird land on my arrow as it was on the bow in the EZ Hanger.

12. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a porcupine that he thought it was a good ideal to start coming down the tree on the same side as me. They come down butt first.

13. PIBowhunter

PIBowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had a finch land right on my arrowin front of me. Spooked me after having had been sitting for a few hours.

14. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last Sunday morning I had a hawk swoop down probably 2-3 feet behind my tree and snag a chipmunk off of some deadfall about 10 yards to my left. Happened so fast scared the crap outta me because I didn't see the hawk come in or anything. Just all of the sudden this loud SHWOOSH from behind me. Made me jump and look in that direction of course. He snatched the chipmunk in what couldn't have been more than a second and up he went to the tree tops about 75 yards away and sat there for a min (with new found meal in claws) then took off outta sight. Was a really cool sight scared me though for sure. Hard to explain that deep, air cutting SHHWOOSH that it made. Was awesome :)

15. Decypha

Decypha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a red fox lick my boot from a ground hunt one morning before my father leaned forward and scared the hell out of it...he also had a pretty cool story of a black bear cub run up his tree. he proceeded to throw his bow at it (and throw his only chance of defense against the mother), then scream for 15 minutes straight until the mother grunted and ran away with the cub. Owl sat about 10 feet from me at twilight too...always fun to see.

16. juice9

juice9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a owl in the dark hissing at me right above my head. the hair on the back of my neck was standing up i could not wait for it to get light seemed like forever. When it was dark i had no idea what was above me hissing.