Whidbey Island, Washington Target Archery options

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by Kevin Patrick, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Kevin Patrick

Kevin Patrick Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, new to the forum, long time archer. Just moved to Whidbey Island in Washington and struggling to find anywhere that I can shoot archery. Previously I had a private property I could shoot on and multiple ranges around but now I am about 1.5 hours from any of those locations. So far I’ve only found one shooting range that happens to have a 60 yard flat range on Whidbey Island, but I’m looking for somewhere I can shoot out past 60 yards, hopefully to 100 yards or at least 80. Any insights would be great, thanks!

2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome aboard.

I can’t help wondering what career took you to Whidbey Island. Navy? I did a tour with VAQ 142 at NAS Whidbey Island in Oak Harbor and I absolutely loved the area. The evil witch I worked for, not so much. That island is literally crawling with deer.

I didn’t even own a bow when I was stationed there so I don’t really have any suggestions that will help you.

3. Kevin Patrick

Kevin Patrick Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Little Chief,

nope not navy, my fiancé is a former Army combat medic, and I’m a former private security contractor. She spent her time up in Alaska and overseas, and I spent 6 years getting paid to do dumb **** in the sand. We both had lived in Washington at different times and during Covid we moved back. The housing market here is soo damn crippling though that we were paying out the ass to rent. We wanted to buy something near the peninsula but away from the bullshit of I5 and Seattle, but we weren’t having any luck finding something that wasn’t outrageously overpriced. Then we ended up meeting a former boat captain on Whidbey who had a bad divorce and was retiring to Florida, he wanted to **** over his ex and we ended up getting to buy his house on the island for a normal price and couldn’t be happier. You’re right there are deer everywhere but I am most happy about the easy access to the peninsula for elk season and backpacking. We were starting to think we’d have to look in eastern Wa or out of state but I’m over the desert climate and lack of green everywhere and our family is here so we feel pretty lucky.