Which way? : Hoyt Vector32 or Mathews z7 Extreme

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Stikman, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am after my new Hunting bow and after months of searching, I've narrowed my decision. My top two picks are the Hoyt Vector 32 and the Mathews z7 extreme. I am really at a loss as to which one to pick. I really like them both, but 2 bows isn't an option. I'm planning on shooting this bow for the next 8-10 years. Anybody have any tips, considerations, or pointers for me, I'd appreciate it! Please, only information on these two bows.

2. Gyle

Gyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. UPbowhunter

UPbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    go with the one that feels the best. it will allways be the hoyt!

4. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are stuck between two great bows. I personally would go with the Hoyt. I like the draw better on a Hoyt. If you take the me liking factor out of it, I don't like the fact that the ATA on the Z7X is shorter than my draw length. If I were in your shoes I would be taking home the Vector.

5. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If they are really that close that you can't decide on feel then I guess you have to look at the companies. Who has the better customer service which one does the business in a way that you feel more comfortable with? If they are at 2 different shops look at those same things.

I know what you mean about bows just being really close to one another. I have shot about a dozen I they all have aspects I like and usually 1 glaring thing I hate and its different for each bow. Only 1 bow that I have shot I just flat out hated was Ross Crave. Shot it yesterday. Felt like the PSE on the draw which isn't bad but not my favorite but on the shot it was super loud and so much vibration it felt like I was holding weed eater in my hand. Anyway good luck on choosing. I don't really think you can go wrong with those 2.

6. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buy the one that shoots best. If you are still stuck remember that the Mathews are made in your state and contribute to the state economy;)

7. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Stick on this. I don't like the real short ATA bows simply because IMO they are easier to alter during the shot. If that doesn't help, then Racewayking had a good point with helping out the local economy. No matter what you're gonna have a shooter for a long time. Just my .02

8. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The numbers show the z7 extreme as being 28" a.t.a. but after shooting this bow several times, it shoots like a longer bow. I've been a Hoyt guy for a long time, but that may change... I'm going to have to shoot them again... Anybody shoot a z7 Extreme or Vector 32 and find something you didn't like?

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I could say "I prefer" or "I like" or "I believe" but honestly it won't matter. You need to go shoot both and choose, each bow will serve you great and well into your future!

10. Duckdogf32

Duckdogf32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the z7xtreme. I can not say anything bad about this bow. For those who say they don't like the shorter bow they should shoot one. I shot the Mathews mq 32 before this and the 28" of the extreme feels way more steady than the 32. I know three guys that shoot the xtreme and all of them have come from 35" bows. All of them have improved on their groupings since switching to the z7xtreme. Shoot one, fall in love with it, never regret it.

11. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mathew's has won me over! After shooting a Proline(20 years ago), a Jennings(18 years ago), PSE(16 years ago), and then Hoyt for the last 10 years I'm switching. This past Sunday afternoon I took my wife to my local shop which was hosting a benefit shoot. I tried the Heli M, the z7 extreme and the Mission Venture. Having shot the z7 extreme previously, I knew what it had to offer. I tried the less expensive Venture, and Mathew's new flagship, the Heli M. I have to say the z7 Extreme is my favorite! I ordered one in my size complete with NAP Apache arrow rest and Extreme Archery's Raptor 4 pin sight. Now comes the anxious 2-3 week wait for my new rig. Can't wait to start tuning 'er up and dialing it in. I have an outdoor 3D shoot I like to hit about a month after it's due to come in so it's going to be go time for shooting.

12. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the new bow! I am sure you will be nothing but happy with your decision! If the extreme shoots anything like the helim I shot it will be a great bow.

13. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    easy choice for me, Hoyt

14. Atky021

Atky021 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you can NEVER go wrong shooting a Hoyt def. my choice

15. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the rig! Been shot about 100 times thus far. I really enjoy the compact design and the rock solid feel in my hand. 3 months of shooting bows, and the deed is done. Z7xtreme, 66#, 28.5" draw, NAP Apache rest, Extreme Raptor 4 pin sight.
    My z7Xtreme.jpg

16. ngabowhunter

ngabowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome choice, that is a awesome bow.

17. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mighty fine looking rig sir. Good choice.

18. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, Congrats on the new bow!

19. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Quick update on the new Z7xtreme I got about two weeks ago. My brother and I decided to shoot a two man scramble 3D shoot in hunter class on the 24th of March. We went to shoot for the fun of it, max range was 42 yards as this was an indoor tournament. We turned in an average score or so we thought. Stuck the gear back in the car and headed in for a sandwich and a cold one and the owner informed us we were tied for second place and needed to shoot a 35 yard spot target to break the tie. We ended up winning the tie breaker and waited for the second line of shooters to complete their tournament round. We got bumped into 3rd place by some buddies of ours and didn't take home any $$ but had a blast. I've had the new Mathews for a couple weeks and already hit 12 rings at 40 yards on deer sized game. Needless to say, I'm pleased with my purchase. I can't believe the forgiveness and speed I get with a 28" axle to axle bow!

20. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing but positives on my z7x! Quiet, smooth, and accurate. However, my wife loves her hoyt. They both seem like quality reputable companies. Find the one that you are most comfortable with and enjoy shooting the most and it'll last you for the 8-10 year time frame you mentioned.