Which should hold and draw

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Alex Pierce, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Alex Pierce

Alex Pierce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New to archery and I mean brand new. Getting ready to purchase my first compound hunting bow. My question is. If I'm right handed writing,shooting, and so on. Should I be holding with left hand and drawing with right or holding with right and draw with left..... I've tried researching this but have come up empty handed no pun intended.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Usually goes by eye dominance . That said rt handed bows have you holding with lft hand and drawing with rt and dominate eye is rt.
    Now that's the "proper" " correct " way.
    Personally I say go out and ask to draw both left and right handed bows after getting your eye dominance down. See if you can aim correctly bow shops will help.

3. Alex Pierce

Alex Pierce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey thank you for your response I'll give that try... I figured it would be held with left. I have a old old bear compound that was my father in laws before he passed felt right in the left.
    Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with OND( always lol) take a minute and take a few eye dominance tests and verify . Lots of ppl don't realize what they are.

oldnotdead likes this.
  5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    P.S. Make sure you get someone good to measure your draw length. You want a solid back wall and consistant anchor point.

6. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm. I took the NASP coach certification and was told I was left eye dominant. Never knew that and, FWIW, ignored it. I learned to shot from both sides with archery, pistol, rifle, shotgun. As mentioned, go to a shop and go from there. My son is hopelessly LH and it was a bear to find a LH bow 25 years ago. Now they're common. Welcome and safe hunting!

oldnotdead likes this.
  7. Lito

Lito Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Eye dominance is important