Which Range Finder Guys???

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Brian Mawyer, Feb 11, 2019.

?

Which rangefinder

1. Vortex 1000/1300

25.0%
  2. Bushnell Truth with Clear Shot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Halo XL450

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

75.0%
  1. Brian Mawyer

Brian Mawyer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently looking at range finders and see they very all over the place. I have seen the Halo XL450 as a good deal but have read reviews stating its only really good over 52yrds. Also I have looked at the Bushnell Truth with clearshot and the Vortex 1000 and 1300. Not sure which one to go with. Anyone have input? I will be using it in the beginning for blind hunting turkey, however I'd like to also hunt deer or boar. The clearshot technology seems good but I can't find one to look at or try.
    Any help guys?

Brian

2. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Over the years I’ve owned Bushnell, Vortex and Nikon rangefinders but get to try various models out at work so I have exposure to many others. The Nikon 3000 with stabilization is by far my personal favorite I’ve ever tried but it’s not the cheapest.

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm happy with my Sig which has the angle compensation I need for now hunting, but also the range for rifle season.

4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Halo XL450. It’s a cheaper range finder that does its job. I wouldn’t put big money on the line at a known yardage 3d shoot with it, but as long as your bow is sighted in to your specific range finder, it works well in hunting situations. If you want to know 1/10ths of a yard or even 1/2 yards, it doesn’t do it. It kind of rounds up or down to the nearest yard.

A lot of times when ranging a 3d target, I’ll range it, take a step forward and range it, then take a step back and range it to see if I’m on the edge of say 45 yards or if I’m actually at 45.5. When I take a step forward and it reads 44, that what I set my yardage on because by the time I draw, the bow is up into that 44 yard area, but I’m standing at 45.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  5. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When it comes to optics, cameras or otherwise. A Nikon has never let me down. They solidly have my optics business.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right now I have a Lecia and Leupold. In the past three years I have had Vortex and Sig as well. If I had to pick one it would be Lecia