Which Montec to use?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bgusty, Sep 6, 2014.

1. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I normally shoot 100 grain heads, and have been shooting them all season. I have both 100 grain and 125 grain montecs. I recently bought a HHA sight and haven't finished setting it up yet, so it's only a matter of adjusting it a hair to 125 grain heads. What honestly surprised me is just how much bigger the 125 grain heads are over the 100 grain heads. My set up is a MR6 at 55#, 29.5 draw length, and my arrows are GT velocity XT 400 spine. With the 100 grain head the finish out at 370 grains. The 125 grain head would give me a little larger cutting diameter and a little more weight. What would you guys do? I like the bigger head, but I don't know if switching it up this close to season would be a good idea. Lastly, don't tell me to switch broadheads entirely please. Interested in which of these two heads you would pick and why. Thanks!

2. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the 125 montecs and love them. The doe I shot yesterday was standing just under 20 yds. Arrow passed clean through and she jumped and ran about 10 yards then stopped like nothing happened. She stood like that for a second or two then she wobbled and fell over dead. I've never had a deer go down that fast before. I'm sure the 100's are just as sharp but the extra weight provides a lot more power.

3. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input and congrats on putting a deer down already.

4. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the 100 gr CS because...well...that's what I started with and haven't found a reason to change yet. Only one opportunity to kill a doe with one so far but she fell like I shot her with a rifle. Hopefully I'll get more opportunities this year. I do like the looks of the increased cutting area of the 125 but I'm not sure they will put deer down any better.

5. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I picked up half a dozen 125 grain target heads. Honestly they grouped tighter than my 100 grain arrows at the same distances. I'll get out tomorrow and shoot the montecs and see how they fly and go from there. Below is my 125 grain group at 50 yards. First time shooting that far but I was getting my HHA dialed in. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410123386.440082.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk