Which Hunting Pack With A Climber

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Oly44, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay guys im looking for a pack to take into the woods next fall. Im looking for a pack that has enough room to carry the normal things like release, rope for my safety harness, range finder, snacks and water, and also room for my camera. I can probably tie down the arm on the outside. Id also like to be able to put a jacket in so i dont have to wear it in and sweat. But here is where im having a problem, how do i get a pack to carry all this stuff and still have my climber on my back?

Lets say price isnt an issue, what is a good pack with a lot of space for things above and i can easily carry it with my climber. Id love to hear any idea or suggestions you guys have to offer. Thanks

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a climber but the pack I use in pretty compact and holds all the stuff I used to put into a bigger pack. Not sure its big enough to put jacket in but has buckled straps on bottom that I've strapped my jacket and even bow to and walked comfortable. Anyway the pack is a badlands reactor or think they have few other smaller day packs.

http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear.php?userChoice=reactor

3. ohiobowhunter77

ohiobowhunter77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i like badlands packs. the white tail hybrid is pretty sweet, but does not work as well when crammed full. the 2200 would have a little more room. and with a climber, packs can get tricky...but i use a lone wolf hand climber combo, and just carry it in my hand, and strap my bow to my pack. the lw climbers are pretty light...but i wouldnt want to carry my dads summit by hand. i guess it would depend on your set up somewhat...badlands, sitka, horn hunters, and many other good packs on the market...but if you are going to get one, i would suggest getting a good one, a pack is one item that you dont wanna go cheap on...especially when you are rough on it...nothing like having a bunch of gear leave a trail back to camp because of a busted zipper. just my .02

4. NHBowHnter

NHBowHnter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I attach the backpack to the back of the climber. All buckled onto it. Then put the climber on my back, with the shoulder straps from the climber and carry my bow in hand.

5. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I do. Works great for me and all I have is a pack I got at Walmart for like $20. Its actually a really nice pack for the $. Has plenty of room and straps on the sides and front for gear. And a drink sleeve on each side for my little camo thermos and water bottle. I'm very happy with it and it was only $20.

6. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah i didnt want to go cheap i want something quality. Im not really sure id want to carry anything by hand besides my bow if i didn't have too. When looking into the size of the pack what size does it start getting into the bigger packs if that makes sense.

How do clip the pack in? Do you have a couple pictures you could post?

7. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could you post up a picture if you have one as well. Id like to see it all strapped in.

8. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Don't have any pics available at the moment but will try and remember to take a few after work to show you. I can try and explain a little better. I take the tree wrap cords of my stand and run them through the top loop of the pack. Then tuck the cords back into my folded climber. When I do this the pack loop kinda hooks on the metal of the climber with the cords insuring it won't come off. I then just take a little $2 bungee and hook it from side to side at the bottom of the pack securing the bottom so it doesn't bounce around while hiking in. I did it without the bottom bungee at first and the pack bounced around a good bit while walking and was way to loud for my liking.

Like I said I'll try and remember to snap a few pics after work to show you.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  10. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That makes sense. If you can get the pictures great if not no big deal.

That looks nice. Maybe a little small, but it showed me how i could put a pack on the back of the climber. Thanks for the link.

11. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have my quiver attached to my backpack so ill put my pack on backwards in front of me and then my climber on my back. It works with my smaller 1/2 day pack.
    Cheka out Keys hunting also. I just got two more of their backpacks.

I use the badlands 2200 for CO Elk hunting. Can't beat it.

12. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oly
    I really like the Badland packs but didnt want to spend that kind of cash at the time. We went to Farm N Fleet and picked up a couple of these http://www.fieldline.com/main/backpacks/hunters-day-pack/1/4/6 on clearance for $20.00 each and there is plenty of room for the 3rd Arm Bandit camera tree arm and a padded waterproof case for the camera, though I do strap my jacket to the outside of the pack ( like to have it handy without having to open the pack to get it while in the tree, I like to keep my movement in the stand to a minimum) even though there is enough room for the jacket inside the pack with the camera gear. I have been very pleased with the pack for $20.00. Stand and pack 001.jpg Stand and pack 003.jpg

13. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the looks of the fresh tracks pack and the quiver in the pack already is nice since i take it of my bow when i get up the tree anyway.

Thanks for the input and the pictures. This is all helping get a better idea of what i can do and what i would want to do to pack in.

14. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the Buck Camo that fresh tracks offers, looks interesting ;)

15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In the past, I've just slung my old MadDog pack over the top of my LW & sticks. It worked, but was quite clumsy. That pack isn't big enough to handle my needs though. Most of the year, I can get away with one of my fanny packs. When the weather turns cold, that's when I need the room.

I've been looking at packs a lot lately, and have all but decided to pull the trigger on a Blacks Creek Answer. I love the detachable Grip frame (handy for my elk trip this Fall). One thing you could do is strap your stand to the frame, then buckle the pack on top :tu:

Here's a video of JZ looking at on at the Mathews Retailer's Show

[video=youtube_share;WyVMwGdCEM8]http://youtu.be/WyVMwGdCEM8[/video]

16. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That looks great. It seems like it would work great for what i want to do then i saw the price :lol: I know i said price isnt an issue i just wasnt expecting that expensive.

17. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought this one just to use when taking my Lone Wolf climber. It works great and is high quality. I found that I use it more than just with my climber. It sits low enough that I can easily put on my stand and carry it comfortably. I remove the top little bag. There is enough room for all my stuff (& I bring plenty) including my jacket while walking in. I can then strap it to the tree and work out of it.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/57266?feat=508805-GN2&page=hunter-s-lumbar-pack&attrValue_0=Break-Up Infinity&productId=931595

llbeanpack.jpg llbean2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  18. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, that's why I don't have it yet :busted: Been working on my trip's budget though, and it seems I can slip it in :tu:

19. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe i can get it as birthday present of something :tu: But it has a ton of space and could strap my camera arm on the outside have room for clothes and extras on the inside and on top of it i can attach it to the stand. I think you might have sold me on it or i sold myself :lol: not sure which but i think i want it .

20. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    That Fieldline pack is the exact same pack I got at Walmart for $20 and strap to my climber. Its a great pack for the $ IMO.