which hunting arrow

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by headstrong, May 12, 2013.

1. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    haven't been keeping up with arrows last couple seasons. these will be used for hunting and target practice up to 100 yards. l was looking at last year where the bloodsports ht1 because of there small diameter. any advice would be appreciated.

2. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well to be able to give you any useful info. We are going to need your set up (Draw weight, Draw length) After that it will help narrow down the arrow that will fit your set up.

3. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As far as arrows...you can pick the size according to your draw weight...and such. I know that my Carbon Express Mayhem Hunters shoot great for me. I shoot the 350's cause mine are 28.5" long and my draw weight is 65 lbs. My draw length is 29 inches. They shoot fixed blade heads better than any arrow I have ever owned. You will get a hundred opinions on arrow though...lol. Find what you like best and shoots best outta your Bear bow. If your looking for a cheaper arrow...the Beman ICS Hunters are good...so are the Easton Bloodlines and the CE "Crush" Arrows. Again though....you will get a lot of opinions and this is mine...lol.

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let the arrow pick you...

Since you're going to be shooting up to 100 yards, you'll probably be looking consistency in the spine. For that, I prefer carbon express. Easton would be my next choice.

I like an arrow on the lighter side. I'm actually 368 - 372 grains shooting 70#. We can argue about momentum vs. kinetic energy and light weight vs. heavy weight but both will kill a deer just as dead as the other ( if using a much lighter pound draw weight you may have to take different measures).

I have been shooting the carbon express blue streak for years with 0 issues. I've actually been working to be shooting 100 yards and have full faith and trust these arrows will be able to fit the task.
    I recently purchased a few maxima reds. I was actually able to go to a .400 spine and tuning has been spot on.

I said easton was my second choice, but only because i can't get their weight to match what I like to shoot. Also, I really don't like factory cresting. It just adds weight to the rear and a loss of FOC in my opinion.

Lastly, if you're pleased with the arrows you're shooting which it seems like you are, get the muddy outdoors arrows. I'm a big fan of that company and their products. I haven't personally tried them but I was wanting to but I'm going to concentrate on using what I have.

5. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really enjoy my bloodlines. I'm shooting about 419-422grains. And I have shot around 10"-14" groups at 80yes but I'm sure if I was more proficient it could get better

6. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've always shot CX. I am now shooting Blue streaks, crazy accurate arrow.
    We will need you Dl and DW and if you going for speed or penetration on big game.

7. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a VAP arrows. These are very small diameter arrows with great durability

8. huntography

huntography Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just got my new Easton Axis arrows and was testing them out at the range today out to 80 yards with my broadheads.

I added the deep six inserts and am using the 125gr Helix broadhead.

The wind picked up on some shots and the arrow seemed to fly true in the crosswind.

After shooting way to much today as a result of dialing in my sight, I got really fatigued. Next time I need to limit my shots and focus on form.

This was my last shot at 80 yards.

[​IMG]

Rudy

9. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ended up getting the black eagle rampage with firenock aeroinserts

10. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking about getting some Black Eagle Zombie's very soon. Got a dozen and half of the CX Mayhem Hunters though...lol.