Where would you put a stand?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CToutdoorsman, Jul 19, 2016.

1. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Just got a new permission yesterday haven't been able to get out and scout yet but i have topo map of the place i understand the basics of topos but not 100% so i'm looking to see where you guys would go and look based off the topo map.
    Thanks in advance Paul.

IMG_0116.jpg

topo 1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  2. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Find what parts are easiest to access first. You want to be able to get in and out without spooking the deer. That's the priority. You can get away with having a mediocre stand location if you have a really good entry and exit. The contrary is not the case. I would likely avoid setting up in that draw because the wind tends to swirl around, however, because we generally get a NW wind it might blow your scent right out of there. Keep your thermals in mind, don't hunt the draw in the morning because your scent will creep uphill with the rising temps. Are you accessing off of Bittersweet Dr. or Avery Hill Rd?

3. CToutdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    bittersweet

4. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I actually find that within 350 yards of houses is where you'll find the most sign. Granted, its mostly doe sign, but the bucks will get a little more adventurous come the rut. Another advantage is that the scent from the houses will mask your scent. You'll still spook deer with the scent you lay on the ground, but the houses put human scent in the air that may cover you while you're in the stand. I hunt about a mile away from this property and I see a lot of deer sign in the swamps behind the houses. The satellite map doesn't look too swampy where you are but I really don't know. With as dry of a year we've had, though, it could swell up when the fall rains come. Have you scouted it yet?

5. CToutdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    no i think it should be able too by the weekend!

6. CToutdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree about the deer sign the land owner said most of the deer they have seen have been near the house.