Where were you when the world stopped turning?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Swamp Stalker, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was listening to Howard Stern show on my way to college class. We car pooled so I was in the back seat of a buddies car. Never forget we were driving across the Poplar Street Bridge when Howard started freaking about the towers getting hit. I figured a plane just accidentally crashed. Then they started talking terrorist attack. I remember looking up in the sky over St. Louis as we were driving across the Mississippi River. I looked at the arch and thought....eh we are safe here. Who would blow up St. Louis lol. It’s hard to believe it’s been almost 17 yrs since that day. God bless all the men and women who have fronted the fight against those evil scum.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To the top.

Ridgerunner3 and Shocker99 like this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was asleep (read, hungover) in my rented townhouse at Indiana U when our house phone started ringing off the hook. I answered and my former next door neighbor/FWB started yelling for me to turn on the TV and that we were "under attack!" I had no idea what the heck she was talking about, then told her our cable hadn't gotten hooked up yet (new school year.) She told me to come over immediately.

I stumbled out to my truck and drove the few blocks to her and her roommates' place just in time to see the first tower fall. Then the second. Then I realized that another old girlfriend who had graduated the year before was a brand new employee at Morgan Stanley - at the WTC. The rest of the morning I was in a daze. My FWB and her roommates were awesome to me, kept telling my not to lose hope, all that.

When I left her place early that afternoon, I passed by a gas station and the line was already halfway up the block and the MFers had already raised gas prices by over double.

It was 2-3 weeks later before I finally heard back from my friend at Morgan Stanley...she made it. She had been on her way to the NYSE when the first plane hit. But she lost a lot of friends and even her cousin who also worked at the towers for another company. She was completely traumatized for months.

That day has shaped every day for me since; from my major, my career, everything. Literally not a day goes by I don't think of it. My wife's life as well. She was in Afghanistan when it was really bad, before the Surge.

When I heard that Trump was planning to have the Taliban at Camp David, my only hope was that he actually planned on cutting their effing heads off and sticking them on pikes outside the White House gates.

4. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Swamp Stalker and MUDSHARK like this.
  5. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heard rumors of a terrorist attack in homeroom freshman year..... wasnt until first period Science class when the teacher had the tv on, and said the towers are GONE. Going home was creepy, living near lambert, and not seeing one frickin plane in the sky.

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In the back country of Wyoming guiding elk hunters. In camp that night someone mentioned that they hadn't seen any planes flying over that day. Late that evening a guide from the next camp rode in and told us that we had been attacked. After several satellite phone calls we found out a little bit more.

7. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    GREAT POST JOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was at work (Pa State Police) Retired now. The shift Supervisor (Cpl.) had us out out on a traffic safety check. WE had a couple people come thru and ask if we had herd what had happened, a short time later we packed up and went back to station and watched the footage on tv. Then we had to stay over (OT) due to the KINZUA DAM , possible another site for an attack. dam let loose destruction from warren, pa. to Pittsburgh to Cincinnati,oh then down Mississippi River .

first thing i did when i arrived at station was called my wife.

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was working with my dad, we were clearing brush off a 160 acre property with two dozers. We were fueling the dozers up when dad looked up and saw a passenger jet flying in a circle. He said, " I bet something bad happened and they've locked all the jets up in a holding pattern. Turn the radio on and see what's going on." I popped the old radio on and the news was literally on every channel, the towers were collapsing just as we were getting tuned in.
    Funny thing was that the ranch owners we were working for all the way over in KS, actually had a business on a floor in one of the towers and lost like 800 people that day. His daughter and son in law were just across the street and watched the planes hit. The guy was physically ill for quite a while over the ordeal.
    Yep, 18 years now and I recall it like a week ago. Lost dad last year...it's been a long winding road from there to here.

Ridgerunner3 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  9. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was framing a gable end on a roof when the heating guy came out of the house and told us. We laughed and said yeah right, needless to say we all climbed down and watched tv for a while trying to figure stuff out. It was really odd how quiet the sky had gotten without all of the plane’s flying around. Unfortunately its only a matter of time before something happens again, people really need to wake up.....

MUDSHARK and Swamp Stalker like this.
  10. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was in my last semester the University of Oklahoma. I was a CFI in the school of Aviation and working on my capstone. I was in the shower and a girlfriend had stayed the night and came in to the bathroom to tell me. I got dressed pretty quick and got out to the airport and watched as the towers fell. I was one of three civilians in my flight class of 18. The FAA grounded all flights and so we all went back to the main campus and went about our day. Three or four days later I woke up to the sound of my downstairs neighbors door getting kicked in and the FBI arresting the Pakistani student association president and vice president. Later that week the FBI showed up at the airport classroom and we were all interviewed regarding another civilian student. Our department head, a navy pilot reservist, took all this pretty hard and went back to the Navy full time after resigning.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    MUDSHARK, dnoodles and Swamp Stalker like this.
  11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    6th grade computer lab.

I remember them rolling in the TV cart (which up until that point was always good) and turning on the news for us to watch.

12. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It was freshman year of H.S. for me. We watched the destruction on one of the Tv's in homeroom. Everyone that was in the room was silent and when the bells rang to go to the other classes, not one person moved. The principal came on the intercom and said we need to say a prayer for our country.

13. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just reading these replies makes me tear up all over again.

14. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was at work that day and heard about what was happening on the local radio channel. I went across the building to the credit union where they had a TV watched the buildings collapse. For the next several hours I watched in silence.

15. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was staying in a hotel in Allen, Texas. I was 18 and has just graduated from high school, my family has just moved back to the US after spending my entire childhood in Canada due to my dad's career. We were living the hotel while the purchase of the home my parents had bought finalized. What should have only taken a few weeks ended up taking four months. We didn't move into the house until a few days before Christmas. No bank wanted to secure a mortgage for the next wave of homegrown terrorists. The background check process became overwhelmingly backlogged.

I woke up and went into the lobby for breakfast just in time to watch the second plane hit the World Trade Center. I went and talked with Marine and Navy recruiters the next week. Unfortunately, because my parents had moved to Canada when I was three, they never got me a social security number. I am an American citizen even though I grew up in Canada. What should have been a three or four week process to get my SS number took six months. The recruiters told me to come back after I had the SS. During that six month wait, it became clear that invading Afghanistan would be a long fight. My mom cried so much at the thought of me enlisting that I never went back to do it. Biggest regret that I have from my younger days, not enlisting.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    dnoodles, Okiebob and Swamp Stalker like this.
  16. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was 28 and working night shift, so I was sleeping when it happened. Woke up that afternoon without a clue, and turned on the TV and watched in shock. I remember wondering if I was really watching some kind of sick movie until I changed the channel and it was on all of them. I remember feeling sad, then really pissed, and then a lot of pride the next several days when every house you saw had a flag on it.

Ridgerunner3 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  17. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was at work. When my wife heard it, she got sick to her stomach. In October, 1998, I spent three weeks in the north tower for sales training with a brokerage firm. Could have been me in the WTC.
    Edit- A close friend is from Somerset County, PA. If I recall correctly, he knew many people who witnessed the crash and were first on the scene.

18. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was in 7th grade music class. I remember moments after it happened the teachers talking about it and just before turning the television on, I was called to the office for a dentist appointment as my mom was there to pick me up from school. I remember asking her what happened after hearing George Bush crying in an interview on the radio. She told me something awful had happened and no one at this point was really sure what was going on. I remember being 12 years old and sitting on my front porch steps with a heavy heart for all of those suffering. I was born on 09/12, which is the day after 09/11.... I didn't even want to celebrate my 13th birthday the next day.

19. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is the exact place I was, 6th grade computer lab. The teacher told us not to watch the news because they were saying it was worse than it was or something like that. Maybe she was just trying to keep us from getting too worked up. I think I could walk to that exact seat 18 years later.

greatwhitehunter3 likes this.
  20. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To the top. I spent most of last night doing my yearly ritual of watching raw footage on youtube. Many people say, "wow, that sucks to have your birthday on 9/11." My feelings are, It's patriot day, given my service to my country, and my goal of being a mental health counselor for veterans, I find it fitting that my birthday is Patriot day. Hold your loved ones close today.