Where were you when the world stopped turning?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Swamp Stalker, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not to plagiarize Alan Jackson, it's a good question. I can't believe its The 16th anniversary of 9/11.

I remember it like it was yesterday. September 11th, 2001 I had just gotten off the phone with my mom who called to wish me a happy birthday. I was 25 years old, had just gotten off of active duty and was living in Western PA. My wife (first wife...aka slutface/dime storewhore) worked for the PA state Police. I was working for a land surveying company, and it was an office day for me. I was working on a subdivision plan that had to go in front of the towns planning board in a few days. After getting off the phone with my mom, I went outside to smoke a butt and talk to the lead field guy, Don. I remember how blue the sky was, how bright out it was. The company owner pulled into the parking lot and asked if we had a TV. Don and I looked at each other trying not to laugh, and said "No Gil, we don't why?" He then proceeds to tell us a plane crashed into the world trade center in NY. Not knowing the severity or dire consequence our nation was in, we shrugged it off, like it was not a big deal. A few minutes later one of the General Contractors came in for a set of prints and said, in a sarcastic way, "the world is ending, a passenger jet plane crashed into the WTC, and one just crashed into the Pentagon. My boss Chuck and I were in the same Army reserve unit. we both turned around and looked at each other. We knew this was no accident. I called my megawhore wife and asked her what was going on. As soon as we started talking i heard the call come across her barracks, that the nation was under a terrorist attack, and the next announcement was that a passenger plane just went down in Shanksville, all nearby units to report to the scene.

My boss Chuck, the owner, Don and the other office guy all left to go to Don's house to watch the TV. I was stuck answering phones, having no radio, TV or anything the whole friggen day. I wasn't able to call my pirate hooker of a wife because she had to go to shanksville. Around 1pm I got a call from my reserve unit commander, informing us of the attack and that we had to mobilize to go to Shanksville, report to the reserve center as soon as possible. I report at to the reserve center for 3pm, and was handed my fully locked and loaded m-16, to guard the reserve center, until we got the official word on if we were needed in Shanksville. around 7pm we got word we were not needed, so i was released because i was the first one there. I got home around 8 pm, and finally was able to see the horrific scene on TV.

God Bless the USA, and all the Heroes, LEO/EMS/Fire fighters and military.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was in the BWCA spiked out. I was up for a two week detail prepping to burn areas in the BWCA wilderness that the blowdown of 1999 decimated. I was spiked out with no cell coverage and the only communication with the world was thru radio dispatch thru a series of repeaters with a king radio. Got up early ready to go waiting for info and when to meet for the burn briefing when we received a rare all call dispatch thru the entire dispatch system of the Superior dispatch system that all forest service operations were suspended due to an attack on the United States. Talk about crazy my ride out was supposed to be a beaver float plane out, and with the no fly and information was not available. I was with a short crew of 10 people and we all decided that we would not just sit and wait we paddled out and got back to the end of the gunflint trail. We let dispatch know our plans and documented our discharge and travel status. I got home as fast as I could even after learning more information.

Swamp Stalker and 95grvrMotive6 like this.
  3. 95grvrMotive6

95grvrMotive6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was in 1st period English class senior year of high school. The news was on the rest of the day. My older brother in basic training at Fort Benning. He got to call to let us know they where on lockdown and high alert

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was still in college. Didn't have any early classes that day so I was at home in bed. My mom called me and asked if I was watching the news(like I would actually have been watching the news). I turned it on and watched in shock the rest of the day, not even realizing that my brother literally worked about a 1/2 mile from the Pentagon.

5. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was at work. A colleague came into my office and said, "Turn your TV on." All normal business just ground to a complete halt. I'm still angry about that ****.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My dad and I were running two bulldozers up around Greely KS on a ranch bulldozing 160 acres of brush, piling, burning and burying for the ranch owners as a hay farm. We both just pulled over to the truck to refuel. I was up on the back of mine running fuel and dad said "I wonder what the hell is going on?!" I said, "I dunno, why?" He said, "look at this jet, it's acting weird."
    I looked up and a passenger jet was just flying in a perfect circle. I guess they had been told to hold and then were redirected back to KC.

We turned on the radio and listened as the second plane hit and the towers fell. We were concerned enough about what was going on that we came back home for the day because we had a pretty long drive back home.

The ranch owner came by the next week and we discussed the ordeal. He had been gone for a full week. I was told their company had an entire floor in one of the towers and they lost like 80 employees. He said his daughter and son in law were in a building across the street. He looked like he'd lost about 10 pounds. I believe their business was some sort of insurance but I never inquired directly.

7. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    509th Munitions Squadron, Whiteman AFB, MO. I had been asleep about 30 minutes from a 13 hour shift, when my hooker ex (Joe, I think our exes may be related) woke me with the news. Man, I have lots of stories about the following days that I'm not telling here. We were all united and highly pissed and had a literal mission. I have no memories of home life from then to about a year later; just work, even though I never deployed from home station. No Regrets whatsoever. I'll never forget. Thanks for the thread, sir.

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    6th grade in the computer lab. We were all so excited when they rolled the TV in on a cart, like every kid always did, until we saw what was happening. I don't know that any of us had a real grasp of what was going on but knew it was bad.

9. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was shingleing a roof around a chimney.
    Just sat on the roof peak listening to to radio

10. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I had worked the night before, were planning on going to my parents for my Dad's birthday that evening... I woke up, got something to drink, and turned on the TV and thought WTH??? Woke my wife to tell her what was going on, called and talked to my parents, went to a local gun shop and picked up a case of AK ammo, in case this was just the start of something more, and sat with tears streaming down my faces watching that terrible happening... Part of why I could never support Obama, this influx of "refugees" from the middle east, or illegal immigration in any form, and part of why I could have never voted for Hillary Clinton who was taking $$$ from people not too far from those who attacked us on that day...

buggs and Swamp Stalker like this.
  11. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    4th grade class room when another teacher came in and told ours that a plane had crashed into the tower. Wheeled the TV in on a cart and we watched the news basically all day. Being in 4th grade and having no idea what was going on we basically drew pictures on the board while the teachers watched in disbelief of what was happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had just woke up for my freshman English 101 and turned on the TV right as the second tower got hit. At first I thought it was a movie untill I saw the news logo on the bottom of the screen. Woke up my roommate and we watched for a few minutes then headed to the frat house and watched on the big screen in the game room for the rest of the morning. No body talked. We just sat and watched. It was completely surreal.

13. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Anatomy and Physiology class. Junior in high school. The teachers would show bits of the coverage during the day, but most tried to carry on a normal day of instruction.

14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was teaching a bunch of special education kids. Needless to say they saw the tv as well and were very scared. I had to turn it off. My dad was in the Pentagon when it got hit.

15. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was getting ready to leave for jury duty. In Ca. Turned on the tv just before the 2nd tower got hit.
    Flight 93 crashed about 8 miles as a crow flies from my dads place in Somerset county. My mom said she heard an explosion while doing breakfast dishes, but thought it was my dad banging around in the barn. If you get a chance and you are near Shanksville it is worth seeing the memorial. Very beautiful and emotional.

dnoodles and Swamp Stalker like this.
  16. sig239

sig239 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    7th grade. We turned on the TV and saw the 2nd plane hit live. Watched until they turned it off and then they tried to act like everything was normal. Everyone was getting picked up by their parents. Thankful for those who have sacrificed since then so we can live in relative peace.

17. bowhunter628

bowhunter628 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was in 4th grade, I had no clue what was happening until I was on the bus home after our principle came across the loud speaker and said we were being dismissed early. Everyone was so happy to get out of school early because it was a beautiful day outside. When I got on the bus, the kids that were in high school including my 2 brothers were all as quiet as quiet gets because they had witnessed the second tower get hit live. A lot of them were crying. Once I got home we immediately turned on the news which was right about 15-20 minutes before the 1st tower fell. I will never forget that.

18. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My Wife & I were married on Saturday Sept 8th just a few days before the Tuesday that will always be remembered as 09/11.

We were in Disney on our Honeymoon and will never forget waking up and going to the bus stop at the resort and when the bus pulled up with a fully loaded bus and stopped and said all parks were closed and we asked why she stated go to your room and turn on the TV. And a site that you will never get out of your mind when we did turn on the TV...

the airport in Orlando was closed and we were due to fly out the following Saturday just 4 days after but with being closed we had to rent a car and drive home on Friday to Maryland (which we lived in during the time)

So as all ppl will never forget where and what they were doing that dreadful Tuesday morning, my Wife and I will always remember where and what we were doing.

19. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was working in a large university medical center in Upstate NY. All elective cases were cancelled and we were on standby for surgical/burn patients that may need to be transported upstate. Stood around the TV all day. No patients ever came.

20. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was in the mountains on the Kosovo/FYROM border on a three day mission to catch weapons smugglers/Albanian guerilla fighters crossing the border. We got a call over the radio asking if any of us had immediate family working in the pentagon. None of us did. Three days later we were out of the mountains and saw on the news what had happened, we knew then that our time in the military was about to drastically change.