Where it began for you

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dodge Buck, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Dodge Buck

Dodge Buck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been watching videos of people's testimonies on why they love hunting and how they got into hunting and was wondering what y'alls take on it was. For me, It's just being out there in nature, the feeling of serenity. I love the tradition of bow hunting the most. I got into hunting from my dad and my brother. They taught me how to treat nature, by conserving the experience that I have for future generations, and I will teach my son the same morals.

2. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I remember being a kid and every Friday night starting in June and going until bow season was over my pop and a bunch of his friends would get together for archery night!! I couldn't wait til I could hunt with a bow! When I was 9 my dad bought me my first bow a Browning Fox II which I still have and my daughter now shoots!! I can't think of a better accomplishment in hunting than tricking a mature whitetail into coming within bow range and making a perfect shot and seeing that deer expire within minutes of your shot!! It is truly spiritual!! Unfortunately I am the only one left that still bowhunts so hopefully some day my son will do it with me!!

3. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I developed a love for bowhunting in Afghanistan. I had one really good buddy and we'd spend hours with him telling me all of his hunting stories. I really started to look into it when I got home and was able to trade for an old Browning after I bought my house. As a parent of four young boys, I wanted to find a hobby that I could involve them in and pass onto them as they get older.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Infuse 4G

4. darrin

darrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have yet to get out on my first hunt, I have spear fished and hope to go bowfishing this spring and summer. I love the thought of knowing my meat is coming with out all that antibiotics and crap they put into farmed animals. Could buy free range meat, but hunting sounds like more fun as well being able to be outside with a weapon that dates back to man's beginning... my ultimate dream hunt is wearing and using equipment collected and built from the woods, then to do it all over again the next year. Perhaps a little naive, but why try it once the skills needed to do so are obtained?

5. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bow hunting I think and feel that it is in are blood the challenge of it and the feel after we let the string go i really think it is only a so many few of us that feel this way when they are so close and thats what makes us the dominant species In some ways but the feeling and memories we have after that animal expires and maybe the story's we tell makes us this dominant species but I and most of you .care a whole lot about White tail deer and that's what I care about guys

6. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I first went hunting with my dad in 1964, after that I was hooked! He hunted for meat only as we were a family of 7 and the first legal deer, antelope, elk or moose that came by took a bullet. He couldn't care less about antlers (can't eat'em anyway) and didn't have time to bow hunt when he was trying to fill the freezer. I got my first bow at age 12 and killed two cottontails with it the same day. After a long hiatus from bow hunting, I returned to the sport in 2007 at the request of my son who had developed his own love of the sport. Glad I came back. Been loving it ever since.

7. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My cousin and I talk every day. Well every year he said to me. "Hey you should take some time off and come up and go hunting with me this year." Over and over for years.... well one year I said the only way I would deer hunt is with a bow. So the deer has a chance. He said that his fathers life long best friend is a big bow hunter and has bows we could barrow to try it out. I did and the first day I knew I loved it. I never even seen a deer until about my 5th time out. The following spring I went to craigslist and bought a bow. That was 5 yrs ago. I'm 42 now and this season I just bought my 1st brand new bow all set up for me. a G5 Rogue and I love it. Every year I count down to deer season. Last year I started with 119 days left till deer season. Well the season has only been over for 25 days and I already can't wait till next year.

8. darrin

darrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Worzeth, how many days left until deer season? LOL

9. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    growing up on the farm here in MO in the 60's small game was whats for dinner there was alot of pressure on us boys to get it done life was tuff by the time I was 7 you worked from daylight until dark all year long so hunting was the fun work.

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I never hunted growing up, just fished a lot. When I was 15 years old my Uncle who is now deceased sent me some coins in the mail. We had just moved as a family to Virginia when I received those coins. I remember those coins sparked a conversation between my mother and I and she talked about my uncle killing mule deer in Texas and New Mexico and I thought it sounded like so much fun. I started reading hunting magazines and at age 17 I finally attended a 2 day hunter safety course and the rest is history.

11. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 36..I started deer hunting when I was 10. My uncle and my Dad took my hunting for a few years till I was around 12 and then started going on my own all the time. My Dad owned 50 acres where we lived so I hunted there mostly as a kid. Then when I was 16 I got into bow hunting. My first bow was a Bear of some kind my Grandma got me at K-Mart. I killed my first archery deer with that bow. Then After that one I still rifle hunted some every year, but mainly bow hunted. I got me a Hoyt when I was 18. Can't remember the name of it...hunted with it for a long time. I grew up in the country and love being in the woods all the time. Still the same way now. I couldn't imagine not living somewhere that I could not walk out my back door and go hunting. Love it....!

12. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't grow up hunting at all. I always thought it sounded fun, but no one in my family hunted anymore. I bought a few pistols and a rifle, the first animal I ever killed was a coyote, the owner of the property I rented from wanted them gone. A friend of mine had bought a bow, and I shot it a few times and loved it! I convinced my wife to let me get one because unlike a rifle or pistol I wouldn't be dropping huge amounts of money every time i shot it, and I could shoot easily over a hundred yards in our yard (not that i did). It wasn't until two years after I bought my bow that I met a great friend who has introduced me to hunting and this year was my first year bow and rifle hunting. I have fallen in love with it. The only thing I got was a turkey in early spring season, it was a tough year with a new baby and such, so didn't get out as much as I hoped. But hoping that this next year will be the my first deer and hopefully first deer with a bow.

13. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    340 Ugh!