Where do you even start???

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Scott/IL, Dec 10, 2013.

1. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that's the number one item for me. Get popped about 10-15 times by a nest of yellow jackets or hornets and you likely won't even make it off the mountain without one.

2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Farthest I've been from my truck so far is just a few miles... but being paranoid [can't help it... woman] and working for EDs... I carry a bunch of stuff for first aid. Most will stay with the truck but in my day pack I keep:

Some small bandages
    Small roll of medical tape
    Small packs of Celox (stops bleeding) Sometimes I carry the Quikclot Trauma Pack which has bandages/tape/quikclot but usually its just the packets of celox
    A couple of little packets of triple antibiotic ointment
    excedrine and ibuprofen
    diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
    two or three emergency mylar 'blankets' I buy them in a pack, so they're like .70 cents each. You can use them for tarps or whatever too.

Back in the truck, I have sutures, a skin stapler, vetrap, aluminum/foam splinting, scalpels...etc.. :D

It's kind of funny, when I shot my elk, I had my little first aid kit on me but only one knife and no flashlight. Just a cyalume stick that I hung over the elk to keep scavengers away and I hiked back to the truck in the dark timber using my cellphone for light. (sparingly because my battery was going dead)

3. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, them cell phones do die quickly. I try to keep it charged at night off the truck then powered off during the day...just in case it is needed.
    After this season, I would say lighted nocks. They may just be the ticket for a recovery. I am going to have to bite the bullet and start hunting with lighted nocks myself. Any help is worth a shot.

4. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This Kuiu gear has to be the most comfortable hunting clothes I have ever tried on. Love the features, and can't wait to get some time in the field with it.

I was a little worried buying it without getting my hands on it first, and with their sizing issues, but everything fits perfect.

5. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have to quit reading this stuff. This is my dream hunt. And to see one can do it this affordable is something I never heard of. Scott, what part of IL are you in?

6. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    About 45 minutes across the river from St. Louis.

7. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    How about base layer brands...

I'm settled on Merino Wool, but what different brands does everyone prefer. Sierra Trading Post has some marked down, and C4E seems to be priced fair as well.

8. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a carhart brand its comparable to underamour. Then I have my camo shirt and then a light jacket, that's if I am hiking and glassing a lot and trying to stalk. the Jacket is only on for a short while in the morning. If I am in one of the stands I use a medium weight jacket. I will hike in with out a jacket and put it when in the stand. (I sweat like a coyote in heat) We also hunt from a base camp so I can bring a lot of stuff. We do have one spike camp we use here and there when the elk are in. Are bow hunt ends in the middle of September. We hunt around 9800 feet but in the middle of the day it gets warm and I like to be able to shed clothing that fits in my day pack.

9. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    The lighter the better IMO.
    I use Icebreaker 260 Full Bottom Base, You can layer Long Johns overtop if needed -> Pants.
    Icebreaker 200 Full 1/4 Zip Top, UA Cold Gear Turtle Neck Layers as needed -> Over Shirt.
    Midweight Socks -> A Fresh Pair in the Pack

The layers come on and off as needed depending on your activities, fold up easy in the pack. Merino is the ticket and I am not a spokes person for Icebreaker but between my First Lite skibbys and the full Icebreaker system I am a believer.

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Over the last month or so I been buying/ testing a layering system of primarily merino base layer and mid layer with Sitka and Kuiu outer wear.
    At Spots suggestions I bought a a couple of Ice breakers pieces...a light weight base layer, a mid weight legend sweater ...super nice stuff

I also have merino in First Lite, Minus 33, Sitka , ibex, an Kuiu

For pack in extended hunting in elevation I have decided on various weight bases and mid layers mostly First Lite and Ice breaker as I liked these the best.

I am moving my sitka and Kuiu bases. Keeping a couple mid and heavy weight minus 33 for stand hunting.

None of the merino brands I listed I can honestly say isn't quality however some represent better value, and some pieces have fairly narrow range of use.

11. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    I did order a Kuiu 1/4zip merino shirt. I like it good enough, but kind of plan on it being my outer layer if it is warm out. I'll probably settle with the Icebreaker, as STP has some good deals.

12. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    A note on skibbys;
    I have 2 pair of merino skibbys I take hunting.
    First Lite and Icebreaker
    The First Lite I wore comfortably the whole hunt.
    The Icebreaker was on standby.
    You need to look at the seam line on these or any you go with and make sure you are comfortable. I have not tryed other MFG. but feel First Lite nailed the skibbys.
    On a side note: Do not kneel down or sit on cactus....it is tough to get em all out and a real pain in the ......