Where do you even start???

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Scott/IL, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, Scott...I didn't know I was twisting them ...It just got me thinking about what REALLY makes a great hunting trip... I can't wait to meet you, Andrew, Will, and Matt!

2. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's going to be a great trip no doubt. I spent Sunday at Cabelas just looking over stuff trying to get a grasp on a gear list. Can't wait my friend!

3. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My trip IS contingent on my Vizsla having more than 4 puppies ...she had 8 last time so I am not really worried :)

4. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    exactly...there's a reason I've returned to the same camping area 4 times now - elk hunting is hard no matter where you go, mine as well make sure the rest of hunt is fun also. I'm a DIY kind of guy, fix my own car, remodel own house...I'm not sure I'll ever be able to pay an outfitter (partially because of 4 kids, but also just a pride thing).

I do understand wanting to build some points and try new adventures...but undoubtedly, most would recommend starting out on an OTC tag much like you guys are planning. $586 tag, approx. $200 gas (4 of us road together), eat out of cooler (that's cheaper than being at home)...now that I have some gear my last two seasons basically cost me $800 - best $800 week vacation I can find. Once my two oldest are in mountain shape, youth tags are $100...that will mean only $200 to get them both tags - and I'll just split them up and drop back 50 yards with the calls...I already think about it too much:)

5. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Search and post on this forum. Read the elk and state forum You want. Lots of guys already out west like myself. Also, if you get 4=5 miles off a road the crowd thins out. The issue with Co. is there is a jeep trail everywhere.

MonsterMuleys.com - Mule Deer, Elk and Western Big Game Hunting Online Magazine Website

6. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Matt have we got you talked into returning again this year?

I think we might be trying to head out the afternoon of the 19th or so and head home the 27th maybe? Will had just said the last week of September.

7. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have elk hunted the same area for over 20 years 0907130857.jpg . We hunt 14 miles of the paved road and set up a base camp. 0907130803.jpg The area we hunt is spike or cow only and draw for a any bull tag downsized_0824130845.jpg 527156_407190832675877_2020053147_n[1].jpg 15.jpg 32.jpg . About every 5 to 7 years one of us gets lucky and draws a big bull tag 76.jpg 77.jpg S4020356.jpg

Some of the big bulls Have been rifle hunts with tags my boys have drew out on. But most are Archery shot elk. If I were you guys I would hunt Colorado because it is closer for y'all. Colorado has a lot of elk. I know in Utah if ya don't draw a tag your only out $10 and the price of a non resident hunting license which is $65. I think most states are like that but Nevada. By hunting Colorado OTC tags you get the experience and knowledge then when you draw a premium tag you will have the experience and time under your belt that you need to hopefully harvest a big bull. Then again talk to anybody that bow hunts elk and they will tell you its not a easy hunt and success is tough. I love to bow hunt elk and to me there is not much like it.

8. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get the DIY satisfaction and I'm all for it but 10-12 year wait for a draw is a younger mans game. I'm working on those CO points and would like to start some points in another state but I've got to be realistic and get on land with game if I ever plan on bagging any big game. I just tuned 50 this year and only got into hunting five years ago so I need to get a move on. I'm not a rich man but I have been scrambling to make a nice living for the past 32yr so I do look into private land hunts when possible but not at those prices. This is what was so great about Will inviting hunters to unit 45. It really got me started on my Elk hunt dream by having all these other bow hunters at camp one or two weeks out of the year to help each other out. Really great and would love to do the same in some other state.

If only we had someone that new how to do it. TEmbry:)

9. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be interested in checking out some other units and even setting up a spike camp or drop camp by some outfitter.
    It's all good.

10. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Will is an unmeasurable asset when it comes to hunting friends. There isn't a hunt he hasn't been there/done that. Would give you the shirt off his back too.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  11. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed 100%. Would really like to hunt with him more. Real salt of the earth.

12. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    What about gear list for a newbie?

Matt gave me some awesome suggestions already. How about what needs to be packed in my day pack? I'm a bit of a gear head when it comes to buying equipment anyways. I'm growing on Kuiu clothing, and open to any pack suggestions sub $200. I know many of the items I will get years of use out of.

For this purpose, just figure the only piece of gear I own is a bow.

Figured this could help those of us that are needing to gear up.

13. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get some good boots and break them in well. I was able to get by with a pair of crummy boots and then a pair of gym shoes.... but I'm just that tough. (hahaaha... and I also have a blackened big toe nail which will probably fall off any day now. ;) )

14. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, Get good boots and wear them a lot prior to the hunt. Take good care of your feet and change your socks as needed, keep some foot spray with you if you are walking a bunch. Make sure you have a bladder for water in your pack. Your pack needs to be comfortabe, I would go with Badlands personally. Shoot your bow....A lot!

Good Luck!

15. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    In my Pack:
    Pack - Badlands Clutch
    Water Bladder - Fill before you head out
    Butcher Lite Set - Outdoor Edge
    Alaska Game Bags
    Hand Warmers
    Head Strap Light
    T.P. & Wet Wipes
    Wind Checker
    Pair of Socks
    Tarp
    Para Cord
    Gallon Zip Lock Bag - Food
    Flagging Tape
    Camera
    Batteries
    Garmin GPS 62s
    S&W .357 Holstered
    Snake Bite Kit
    Tinactin Foot Spray
    Unscented Deodorant
    Extra Pair of Gloves
    Face Paint
    Skoal Straight
    Hunting License & Tags
    Pocket Compass

This might be a good idea? (Shameless Plug Here LOL)
    http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-gear/56526-spotnstalks-bow-stand.html

Be safe and Good Luck!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  16. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Grizzly green long cut, otherwise You nailed the list.:)

17. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How do you plan on starting a fire, signal for help, stay warm, or deal with injuries/pain?

18. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    I did leave out and will edit the list.

There IS in Fact these in the Pack:
    Waterproof Matches
    Long Handle Lighter
    Water Proof (not sure how to word) packets of fire start anywhere. Look like small packets...not going ta look just now.
    Roll of Duct Tape
    Roll of J&J Coach Tape
    Bactine Spray

Base layers to keep warm, if caught..tarp, fire, para cord.
    Signal Help..Phone powered off unless needed.

19. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since we are doing a list of items in the pack

Pack: just got a new kelty red cloud 90 L to replace the osprey atheir 70 that took flight from the truck bed after a trip last spring.
    I also have an alps pursuit daypack in Realtree I usually wear on day trips.
    Bladder : osprey 3L
    Msr micro works filter
    Nalgene bottle sometimes filled with whiskey in the off season
    Msr mess kit with Primus stove and gas
    Thermarests neoair pad
    Mountain hardwear lamina 20 sleeping bag
    Patagonia dos parka jacket and pants synthetic down
    Patagonia alpine rain pants and emergency rain jacket
    Three pair of rei merino socks
    Two pair undies
    Two sets of camo pants and long sleeve one in faded sage the other in mossy oak brush as well as a 3d mosoak brush set
    Camo gloves
    Windicator and bowstring wax
    Knives buck 119 Crkt tonto and kershaw ken onion chive ( the best gutting knive in the world...tiny ) sometime I bring my victorinox 6" boning as well. Always bring the Swiss Army knife
    Food and snacks usually dehydrated jerky nuts fruit usually one good piece of frozen venison for the first night packaged tuna and chicken breast and or spam singles at least in complete mre with at least 5- 1 gallon ziplocks
    Waterproof map of the area
    Hunting equip Nikon rangefinder
    Scent killer spray bar soap and deodorant
    At least 3 bic lighters waterproof matches and magnesium and flint JIC
    I have a first aid kit with some bandages gauze and tape. Forceps and some stitches iodine and alcohol wipes xtractor snake bite kit and hard candy
    Sometimes I bring my cannon rebel t3i with an extra 70-300 lens used for spotting photos and hd video ( I promise to post when I get my computer fixed). I hate binocs.
    28kn caribinear and some paricord
    9'x10' backpacking tarp
    Sometimes a Native American drone flute
    And always a fresh pouch of American spirit organic rolling tobacco. Packed in ziplocks

Usually pretty heavy by that point. Especially on non hunting voyages we bring potatoes and an onion for the first night steak dinner.
    Can't wait to see how it all fits in the new pack I've gained 20L of storage!
    We usually go about 8-10 miles a day on trail backpacking for three to five days.
    Hunting we push in only about five or six and set up camp. Day trips from there couple miles morning and evening.
    We try to get up high as quick as possible and and spot down until we get fed up and go rogue. Switching from spot and stalk to bump and blow chance of stalk. Haha.
    Sounds like a lot I know but hunting California mountains is no joke. Weather usually isn't too bad except every year I take a trip to mammoth and hunt in about 9000 -10500 feet. Kinda unpredictable up there.
    Ok sorry for the novel

20. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Would an Eberlestock X2 be an overkill for just a day pack?