When to plant?????

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Shawn Clark, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to make 3 small food plots this year. Technically they aren't done yet cause I haven't planted them yet. Spots are cleared and ready to put some lime down. My question is after I put the lime down do I need to wait to seed it or can I do the seed immediately after the lime?

2. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you can put the lime down and disk then plant, you can do it the same day. I have done it at the same time but I was in a rush. It still grew fine but if possible I would not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Preferably you want to put it down earlier so it has time to break down and be distributed into the soil. If not thats ok. If they are small plots you can get fast acting lime which is a little more expensive but gets absorbed faster. The down side is it doesn't last as long. Something is better than nothing so do what you can.

If you can lime it now and then depending on what you are planting drop the seed around the first week of September. You be be ok either way.

I personally put lime down in February/March time frame for the year and if need be top dress the plot when planting.