when to hang

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bowhunter1181, Aug 15, 2012.

1. bowhunter1181

bowhunter1181 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    how long before the opener do you hang your stand

2. Oklahoma99

Oklahoma99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of guys leave their stands up year around, but I like to take then down after season and do a little maintenance and keep them in good shape, then put them back up about 3 months before season.

3. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I start in July and hang one or two a week until I'm done. This includes trimming lanes and mounting bow/accessory hooks. I have 6 different sets on the ranch this year and just finished my last set four days ago. Our opener is September 17, so I think this gives me plenty of time.

On a side note, with how hot it's been here the last two years I'm going to consider putting out my stands for 2013 in may and June when it's a little cooler.

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know most that have private property that leave stands up have already done so this season. Most I hear tend to do it in July but I wasn't able to get mine out. Hoping to get them out next week if possible.

5. huebjac

huebjac Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All year round.

6. rmarlow21

rmarlow21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just moved mine on sunday. Season opens sept. 29 figured it was a good time to move it. Give the area alittle over a month to calm down.

7. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I leave mine out year round, but I usually add some each year. I try to get them out by end of July for an opener around the 1st of October. I have a couple of new properties this year so I haven't finish yet but hopefully I will be done this weekend.

8. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have only ever used hang-ons and I often even will leave it in the woods on the tree that I am planing to hunt next time out. That said, I wouldn't really advise it - I have a long walk back to my truck and I just don't want to carry it in and out of the woods each hunt.

I just ordered a new hang-on and will be hanging it next Friday and will probably take it down sometime in January. Don't plan on leaving it up year-round, no reason for me to do that!

9. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Before we sold our property we always left them out year round. Checked straps every year and changed them almost every other. This year, since its not our property, I put mine up about 3 weeks ago and will take it down sometime in January. I also take my climber out during the first week and leave it in the tree I want it in unless I decide to try somewhere else out.

10. justhunt

justhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cooler weather setting in this weekend so I'll be hanging stands. I usually have them all up by Labor Day for 1 Oct opener.

11. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I usually try to have them out at least a month prior....I have one stand out so far with several to go. My season opens Sept. 8th so needless to say I am behind....

12. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In July.

13. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I try to hang them all before September because I don't want to intrude on the property until opening day unless I'm pulling camera's. This will give the deer at least a month to get used to the stands.

14. Drop_Tine5214

Drop_Tine5214 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like to put mine out at least 30 days before I plan to hunt them, but I have hung stands the night before and still had deer come by me due to using proper scent control.

15. bossbucks25

bossbucks25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hang them early spring when I found the area that the deer were using during the previous year. Then I go in when all the trees just filled out cut my shooting lanes.

16. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    The sooner the better - I have a few rut spots that I know produce. I trim and hang in July/August. Then we don't head back until late October.

17. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have two stands that I'll hang before the season. One is chained up all year, the other will hopefully go up this afternoon.

50% of the time, I hang my LW as I hunt & take it down when I leave.

18. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My opening AM stand has been hung in the tree since March. Cleared some shooting lanes, weed-wacked and rounded-up an entrance/exit path to an area that I have never hunted on the property. Have not been back to that particular area on the property since. I have a strong belief based on the topo maps, food available and bedding areas that this stand will produce based on that scouting. I have no cameras even on that property to verify that deer are even there. If the wind has anything with an East in it I will be hunting somewhere else, though!!!

My afternoon stand will be hung when I go in. Again, the wind will direct where I hunt. I find that my first sits in a stand are my most productive so I move around quite often as I rarely will sit a stand more than twice in a season. It is a lot of work to set-up and break-down all of those different stands, but we bowhunters only hunt for 3 months out of the year and I would rather put in a little work for my tagged animals. I used to hunt out of the same stands year after year and my success rate was OK, but not on mature bucks/does. They are a different bred of animal that is easily educated by us hunters!