whats your prefered Elk drop camp?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by longbowmanjimmy, Oct 31, 2014.

1. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for some guys who have experience with drop camps and who they like/ didn't like. I'm thinking Colorado, but any tips help alot. I'd like to stick to archery, but I have no problem using black powder if its just as easy to gt tags for. Thanks- Jimmy

2. Mankey2k12

Mankey2k12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Silver creek outfitters

3. TwoBear

TwoBear Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think first and foremost for successful drop camp hunting a person needs to have some elk experience. In general, drop camps are less successful than guided hunts. What I have found in the past from new elk hunters in drop camps, is that they simply do not venture far enough from camp. Rifle drop camp newbies do much better, but they do not rely on calling that is demanded in archery season. I try to discourage new elk hunters from our drop camps, but if they really want to give it a go we will book them. I have some semi-guided hunters from this year doing drop camp next season with us, and having hunted with them I think they will be successful. Drop camps are an awesome way to hunt, and I have even guided out of our drop camp. If you haven't hunted elk before make sure you study up as much as you can and get in shape!!

4. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Winterhawk Outfitters