What's your guys take on this trail cam picture?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by boonedog, Oct 23, 2008.

1. boonedog

boonedog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year in late October I got a shot at a nice 10 pointer with about 10 minutes left of legal shooting light. The shot felt good and I heard it hit the deer but it looked like it was very low in his chest. He ran about 50 yards, stopped and turned around and looked back. After a minute or so I snort wheezed at him and he actually hopped a few steps back towards me but then stopped and just turned and walked away. It was too thick to make another shot so I just watched him until he was out of sight.

When I got out of my stand I recovered the arrow and it had hair, meat and a very faint film of blood along the entire arrow. It was sticking in the ground about 3 inches. I was shooting the 3 blade Rage. Because of his reaction and the low hit I decided it was best to let him settle down and to come back at first light.

There was a good blood trail as my dad and I tracked him for about 250 yards. There would be a big area of blood about every 20 yards or so but nothing in between. But each time I came across these big blood spills I just kept thinking he's got to be down somewhere close. The final blood was actually what I considered huge (about a 2 foot circle) where he had actually laid down. But after this we found nothing and made larger and larger circles around this final blood area for about 3 hours. We never did find him.

Then, this summer (July 7th) I got this picture on my trail cam (Cabelas Moultrie 5 mega pixel). I was excited to have a buck this nice and this early in the antler growing season. After I printed the picture out and was looking at it I noticed a pretty buck "chunk" at the bottom of his chest. I thought, could this be the buck I hit and lost last season? I don't know if you guys can see it in the picture or not?!? Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It looks like he has a dent:d

If that is where you hit him he would most likely leave a pretty good blood trail IMO. I don't think it would be a fatal hit though. Unless somehow it was a big enough slice to have an organ hang out or something:confused:

Wouldn't that be something to shoot him this year and find out he is the one you hit last year:d Good luck!

BUT I don't think there is any way to know for sure. He might just be having a bad hair day:deer:

3. boonedog

boonedog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also, what do you think he would score after he was done growing? The other pictures of bucks that I got during that week were much smaller even though I could make out 8-10 points on their smaller velvet racks. I am just not familiar with how much more a buck grows throughout July and August?

Since I live in Tucson, Arizona I only had 7 days to hunt our Missouri land this year and I had to come in the first week of October. I did get a much smaller 8 pointer and I never did see this big one! Oh well, he just be that much bigger next year!:rock:

4. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    whos to really say but it would be a hell of a story!!!!!!! best of luck!!!!

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very possible that it is the same buck. Hope you get to lay the smack down on him this year!!!

6. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could be!!

7. dblrds

dblrds Newb

Dislikes Received:
    absolutely that could be him, i've seen it several times. they heal up so fast that it doesn't phase them, they just have a little scar.

8. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    might be. remember though that if you cut flesh, but no vital vessels it will bleed like a stuck pig, but not be lethal. think about if you've seen a laceration to a human's face or even your finger. They produce what look like a lot of blood, but no one bleeds out from these wounds. Same I think with this guy. you hit a meaty portion, but no vessels.

9. MichaelHunsucker

MichaelHunsucker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely say its him. That would be an awesome story if you got him this year!

10. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot him and show him to us. :deer: