whats the chances?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Out_in_the_PA_woods, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Out_in_the_PA_woods

Out_in_the_PA_woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    question for those who run trail cameras in the same area over multiply years, how often or what are the chances that a target buck from a previous year does not show up on cameras for a year but comes back a year later, or is all hope lost if he does not show up the following year?

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say that technically the chances are 50/50, overall the chances are fairly good for one to do that and show up again. I've had a few I thought were gone that ended up showing back up after several months.

3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is a common occurance for me. Especially with 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old bucks. It seems that if you get a buck that is older, like 4 1/2 plus, they tend to hang around every year.

4. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a buck that I was getting pictures of from 2 1/2 till 4 1/2 disappear for a year and show back up at 6 1/2 so you can always hope.

5. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of us are in the same boat as you. Had a beautiful 6 point and a literally perfect symmetrical 8 point disappear last year after having them on my cams for the previous 2 years. I'm HOPING they didn't get shot and are still around... Maybe this year they'll show up.

I will add. Mature bucks are (somehow) masterminds at avoiding cameras... I chalk it up to human scent. So it maybe that they are still around but avoiding where you go.

6. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it would be pretty common for a buck that is trying to establish his own territory. If he keeps getting beat up he may need to keep moving and eventually end up back where he started. Those big old bucks stay because they can defend there territory.

7. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Every deer is different....sometimes a buck will want a change of scenery. He may decide to come back later...he may not.

8. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had that happen before. He was 3.5 years old when I first got a pic of him and 2 years later got another pic when he was 5.5 years old. Thats the only time that has happened to me. That was the only two times I got a pic of that deer.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had it happen to me with the biggest buck I have ever got on trailcam. A buck I call PitchFork. It was almost two years between pics. I am hoping to see him again this year1 :tu:

Here is the first pic I ever got of him
    [​IMG]

Here is the next time I got a pic of him.
    [​IMG]