Whats the best work schedule?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cmonsta, Oct 29, 2014.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I work 5, 10 hr days three times a month then followed by 2, 5 hour days on the heels of the final 5 day shift.

2. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    AHHH. Marry Well and relax my friends:wave:

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    24/7 May through September. The rest of the year? Not so much :tu:

4. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What do you do if you don't mind be asking

5. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I work with SAP and run a small 5 man team making baby food:)

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think a fireman's 48/48 would be nice; but then again I don't have any kids.

I think the "standard" work week should be 4/10s or 3/13s (employee/employer agreement; no OT for anything in that range.) I'd like to get that extra day or even two off...saves me commute and gas, as well as nice to have a day off in the middle of the week to take care of personal business stuff. Plus, I always figure once I'm at work I'm there - what's another hour or 2 tacked on to the end? Plus I don't like stopping in the middle of something just b/c 5:30 rolls around, and I might as well stick around and wait for hellish Chicagoland traffic to die anyway. I can leave at 5:30 and not get home until 7, or I can leave at 6:30 and get home at 7. Better to be productive in the office than sitting in my car banging my head against the steering wheel as yet another overturned semi costs me another hour of my life (almost daily occurrence around here.)

My scheds pretty good. Generally 9ish - 6ish, no clock to punch. When I need to be in the office I am; when I can telework I do; and 6 hrs of paid leave (separate from sick) accrues every two weeks. Can't complain.

7. zlr1980

zlr1980 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I work 2nd shift 4-10's but its not your normal 3 day weekend every week mine works out so you get a 4 day weekend every other weekend. One of the weeks I work Tue-Fri with Sat and Sun off then the next week I work Mon-Thur with Fri,Sat,Sun and Mon off. The 4 day weekends are great like a little vacation every other week. Then sometimes I will take the Thursday off before my long weekend so you get 5 days in a row off but only burn 1 day of vacation :)

8. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just started my temp job, and right now I'm on 3-12's then off a day. After 3 weeks, a full week off. I lucked out and got scheduled on all days somehow until Christmas so I get to hunt on my day off without breaking a sleep schedule.

9. Mike brokaw

Mike brokaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I work 12hrs a day 5 day's on 2 days off then 5 day's off 2 day's on very confusing but very efficient work every other weekend

10. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to work at a place where my schedule was Fri-Sun 630 am to 7 pm then 4 days off. Was a good schedule but didn't like the job and missing all those weekends for 2 years. Now I work 5 days a week and don't really have set times just start early and quit when done for day.

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I currently work 4 10's 6am-4:30pm. I love it sometimes and hate it others.

When we are slow I enjoy the 3 day weekend, but when we get busy like we currently are they demand a lot of OT, 12 hour shifts 6 and sometimes 7 days a week. Paychecks are nice, but a lot of BS going on really makes it stressing.

The hate part is because it seems like clockwork we always get an uptick in business in the spring and again during the fall. My 2 favorite times to be in the woods. Luckily I have 2 weeks vacation at the moment and save 1 for each during the peak time to be in them, late April for morel mushrooms and early November for the rut.

We used to have a weekend shift and I did try it for about 6 months. Worked 3 12's 6am-6:30pm F-S and got paid for 40.

Going into it I thought it would be great, 52 weeks in a year and 4 hours free each week would be 208 hours free pay and only have to work 156 days with 209 off. Figured that was 5 weeks vacation plus my 2 weeks and a year full of 4 day weekends. I'd be able to hunt and get more stuff done.

I hated it at first and loathed it in the end. I didn't realize just how much you gave up in life working the entire weekend. Had it been Tuesday through Thursday I'd still be doing it, but too much goes on on the weekends in friends and families schedules and you miss out on a lot.

I'll stick with the 4 10's and if I have to work a weekend or two at least I'm being compensated for it not just giving it to them.

12. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know about the best, but I love mine. 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 96 off. Plenty of vacation time, holiday, comp and sick time if I need it. Best job in the world.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

13. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What do you do?

14. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Full time firefighter/ paramedic. Plus I schedule most my time off for hunting season, so it's nice to have Sept. 27-Dec. 10 off work.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am lucky with my job my schedule is compressed and I travel a lot but at this point in my career I work undertime vs overtime

16. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm praying I land a day shift 7 on 7 off schedule (12 hour shifts with the weekends being 10 hr days)...

If not that TONS of clinics run a 4 10s schedule which I could deal with.

5 8s sucks for a single guy IMO. Ties up too many days. Once I'm at work I'd rather put in longer hours and have more days off. I could see that changing down the road with kids around though.

17. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Certainly not mine! My short days are 14 hour days. I start at 1:30 in the morning and get done around 4:00 in the afternoon. The last 2 days I put in 40 hours. Yesterday alone I put in 22.5 hours. Ideal for me with my job would be four 14 hour days straight then 3 off. Won't be happening anytime soon though.

18. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to work a job that paid 1.5 for anything over 8 hours, and then 1.5 again for anything over 40. Plus double time for volunteering to work on Sundays.

So I would work 4-6 hours on Sunday, then 16-18 hours each on Mon-Wed; then take Thursday, Friday and Saturdays off. I could get paid the equivalent of 2 weeks of straight time and only actually punch the clock on 4 calendar days.

The only problem (besides no social life) was the work was very dependent on the auto industry and when the Big 3 slowed down or shut down so would we. There were a few lean months in the 2 years I worked there.

Good way to pay off college credit card debt though.

19. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My schedule isn't too bad. I currently work 4 - 10's, 2pm to midnight Wednesday - Saturday. Eventually I'll get back to 12's and work Sun, mon, tue, & every other wed or every other wed, thu, fri, sat 7am - 7pm. Having 3 or 4 days off a week is nice because it's a mini vacation every week. Vacation isn't too hard to get and there's all the overtime you could want. When we work OT, we also have the choice of getting the OT in pay or putting it as time and a half into a separate vacation "bucket". Just this pay period I've worked over 40 hours of OT and will have over 60 hours put in to use as vacation.

Although working 9 days in a row can take it's toll. Especially the night shift. Which reminds me I need to try and get new years off!

20. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is pretty great. I work 2 days from 6AM-6PM then the next 2 days are 6PM-6AM....then 4 days off. The morning of my first night shift i usually go hunt, so i can squeeze out 5days of hunting a week most of the time. If i decide to put in leave for 4 days....it works out that i get 12days off. Starting November 1st ill be in VA for 18days chasing whitetails in my home state!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014